• ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    What’s the consensus on the newer USA Produced Walther PPK’s? Saw one today and it was a beautiful pistol…. Kept saying take me home as I’ve never owned one .

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I can't speak to the consensus view of the PPK, but I think that you will hear a lot of this:
    • Beautiful classically designed pistol
    • Crappy trigger that cannot be improved
    • Finicky with different ammo brands
    • Modern pistols in the same size factor will have better capacity and lighter weight

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hand to gun feel is great. Just seems right for many. Heavy for caliber but that does make some shoot it very well. Heavy slide rack many weaker soy boys or tender ladies may find discouraging.

mine is an older inter arms import. Trigger is average. Newer USA made? Same gun different era of production

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Yes Sir I know it’s an old design and I’m not looking for a high capacity piatol. Just an old classic. But I do know the S&W made ones were nightmares from what I heard. Thanks

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    A relative has a first edition "new" PPK, it's a very nice pistol that seems well made (as are all walthers IMHO). Cannot say I really cared for it after shooting it , trigger is really bad , sights are aweful , and the gun is a little "sharp" and somewhat uncomfortable to fire.

But it's a classic and in all honesty when I can find one will probably be picking up a new one in black to have James Bonds pistol for myself.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    No experience with the newer ones but my past ownership of Walthers has all been very positive.

Have an older Interarms PPK/S stainless bought from the INGO classifieds. A very nice shooting 380. Gun has been totally reliable with factory and reloaded ammo. Quite accurate for a pocket pistol.

Also have a 1971 German PPK/S in 22lr. Was just out shooting it last weekend.

Owned a pair of late 1980s PPK/S 380s that were great shooters.

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    I have owned both an inter arms and a Smith ppk, I still have the inter arms, the smith I had to tear all apart, and fine tune all the metal, with stones, then the safety was a nightmare to flip off so I had to clean that up as well, also had to round off most of the edges with a file, if you’re really in the market for one, get an inter arms or something older like it. Sorry for the choppy rants

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I owned a couple in the 80’s BG (Before Glock), a stainless Ppk/s was my EDC for years, had German Nazi proof and pre war ones too, but they are gone now replaced by the G-42 series.
    I had some feed issues, stiff trigger, small sights, included, but back then it was considered a good carry pistol platform that served me well considering.
    I even owned a newer .22 model, but gave it to my son.
    To me the G-42/43 models replace them. Except in .22 cal.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I loved the 40-50's in .32 ACP, never liked the .380. The old ones I had would not shoot ammo made here in the stats very well. The new ones made in the states do have a bigger bevergrip. If they made them in .32 I would buy in a second as I just like them. They will run hot ammo and not crack the frame.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    My only issue with the newer produced ppk's like the sw variant is that they don't offer the gun with the shorter original grip tang. It's what keeps me from buying a newly produced ppk. All the interarms models i have owned previously however were all solid shooters, but kinda snappy in the hand with recoil.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Honestly I've had and carried both era PPK/S pistols. Personally I never had any issues with either. Both very reliable and accurate for me. From a cosmetic standpoint I do prefer the older "original" interarms vs the S&W Walter's with the extended grip tang, but that is just me. Never really liked the look as much with that subtle change and it did change the "feel" for me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Hand to gun feel is great. Just seems right for many. Heavy for caliber but that does make some shoot it very well. Heavy slide rack many weaker soy boys or tender ladies may find discouraging. mine is an older inter arms import. Trigger is average. Newer USA made? Same gun different era of production
    I had one for a while...many years back! Loved it as a pistol...definitely a classic design!
    Soon figured out that there were different pistols that did different things...better.
    As will all things, I eventually sold it and moved on...
    As I got older, and my understanding grew when I did more actual ballistics testing (including actual penetration tests with several different calibers, manufacturers, weights, configurations (FMJ, JHP, JSP, etc.) and I quickly got to the point where I no longer considered .380 acp to be a 'viable' personal defense caliber (something is better than nothing, I agree, but when there's better...), and got completely out of the .380 acp caliber in 2009!
    I would like to try one in .22lr though...as the PPK/S was a comfortable 'fit' in my smaller-sized hands!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When I first got the interarms model in the 1980’s 380 was almost always round ball ammo. Today none is available for sale. 380 is out of stock or has been for some time. But just a couple years ago good self defense 380 ammo was reliable functional and available, more than ever before.

sure it is not the “ultimate SD round” but good for the average non LEO in most common situation Of 7 yards and closer. The PPK is just that. James Bond shot them up close.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I can't speak to the consensus view of the PPK, but I think that you will hear a lot of this:
    • Beautiful classically designed pistol
    • Crappy trigger that cannot be improved
    • Finicky with different ammo brands
    • Modern pistols in the same size factor will have better capacity and lighter weight
    If two is a consensus! We have reached consensus! I agree withGGLASS!

Top Bottom