• balance bar even though it sounds terrible to use

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    I have been reloading for somewhere around 10 years. Not massive quantities, just a single stage press when I have free time and am low on ammo. I have done at least 300 rounds of .270, somewhere around 2k rounds of 9mm, a little over 1k rounds of .40, around 500 rounds of .38. I don't do any long range or precision stuff, I load a .270 round that I've shot to 300 yards and it's as accurate as I'll ever need. This whole time I've been using the powder scoops that come with the dies, no scale or anything, just the yellow plastic spoon eyeballing it that it's not overfull and not under full. The scoops started to bother my hand the other day so I got the lee perfect powder measure. In that process I went down a wormhole about powder measures and scales and all that to go with it. I haven't blown my hand off in the last 10 years and have been satisfied with everything I've loaded, if I get some cheap $20 scale that gets me pretty close with this powder measure I would assume that's probably still better than my current process. If I would have read all this stuff when I started I would have probably bought a charge master and a few scales to check and all that, but at this point I've made it this far I'm really not that concerned about it anymore. Am I crazy or is anyone else doing the same thing? I'm sure some of the older people in this group remember a time before when none of this fancy stuff was used?

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Been reloading for 20+ yrs & also continue to use a Single Stage Press.
    Started out with a Balance Beam Scale & "graduated" to a Basic Digital Scale.
    I would even Ck it with B-Beam Scale.
    3 Yrs ago I stepped up to: RCBS Chargemaster Lite (bout $260 @ the time)
    Love it!
    I only Calibrate it after extended Non-use.
    The Auto setting will keep pouring Measured quantities(Accurate to +/- .1 gr), ea time you put the "pouring pan" back on the scale.
    Sped up the Process, considerably.
    I've had No problems w/it.

Just depends on Personal Preference, IMHO.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A balance beam scale works just fine and is accurate.
    An electronic scale works just fine as well, but you will want some way to check the accuracy of your electronic scale.
    Once I verify the charge on a beam, I toss it on my electronic scale and if the both are the same, your good to go
    Yep I have a 30 year old Lee balance beam scale I used for years.
    I bought a Frankford DS-750 several years ago and checked it with the Lee and it was off I contacted Frankford Arsenal and they had me send it to them. They then sent me a new one it tested out properly and I've been using it for a few years now.
    The main thing is to keep the scales clean. The DS 750 has a plastic cover so dust etc can't fall on it. The Lee doesn't so I always clean it up before use. I found out a few small pieces of saw dust can throw off a balance beam scale very easily. So keep the saw dust, dust and powder cleaned off of it and it will work fine for many years.
    Now digital scales have problems with certain lighting also so be careful about what type of lighting you use. I had to change my lighting to led from fluorescent lighting. Also a slight breeze from a fan or even breathing directly on a digital scale can throw it off. Just things to be aware of.

I also have the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale. I use it when loading magnum rifle rounds.

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It is a good idea to own a basic beam scale for periodically checking an electronic scale or any type of volumetric powder throw like the Lee dippers or the Perfect Powder Measure. I use a 25+ year old RCBS 5-0-2 beam scale. Beam scales are very repeatable over time as long as they have not been damaged and kept clean. They also come in handy for weighing bullets if you ever need to do that.

Standalone digital scales and the ones that are integrated into a unit like the Chargemaster are very nice to use. Like anything, they have their bugs and issues too and you learn to work around those. I have a Chargemaster Lite that I will use for charging rifle cases if I don't feel like manual trickling.

Nothing at all wrong with your current method of powder charging. It boils down to what production rate you want work at and how much tedium you can tolerate. If you want to speed up your single stage process a bit, take a look at the Lee Auto Drum measure which works in conjunction with their expander die.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A balance beam scale works just fine and is accurate.
    An electronic scale works just fine as well, but you will want some way to check the accuracy of your electronic scale.
    Once I verify the charge on a beam, I toss it on my electronic scale and if the both are the same, your good to go
    This is sorta how I do it. But I weigh on my electronic and periodically check on my Dillon balance beam. I check calibration ever so often on the electronic and level up my balance beam if some time has lapsed since my last session.

When I load though, I check every 10 rounds. If I am off more than .1 grams, I dump and keep checking back until I hit my loading.

This is for 9mm, moderate loads so .1 either way won't hurt.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I like my RCBS Chargemaster. I only use the balance beam to occasionally confirm charges. After I got a LCT with the Auto drum, the Chargemaster only gets used when doing hunting loads on the single stage.

guardman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I have been reloading for somewhere around 10 years. Not massive quantities, just a single stage press when I have free time and am low on ammo. I have done at least 300 rounds of .270, somewhere around 2k rounds of 9mm, a little over 1k rounds of .40, around 500 rounds of .38. I don't do any long range or precision stuff, I load a .270 round that I've shot to 300 yards and it's as accurate as I'll ever need. This whole time I've been using the powder scoops that come with the dies, no scale or anything, just the yellow plastic spoon eyeballing it that it's not overfull and not under full. The scoops started to bother my hand the other day so I got the lee perfect powder measure. In that process I went down a wormhole about powder measures and scales and all that to go with it. I haven't blown my hand off in the last 10 years and have been satisfied with everything I've loaded, if I get some cheap $20 scale that gets me pretty close with this powder measure I would assume that's probably still better than my current process. If I would have read all this stuff when I started I would have probably bought a charge master and a few scales to check and all that, but at this point I've made it this far I'm really not that concerned about it anymore. Am I crazy or is anyone else doing the same thing? I'm sure some of the older people in this group remember a time before when none of this fancy stuff was used?
    So I’ve gone from a cheap digital (after growing up using grandpas old beam scale) to an intellidropper, back to an RCBS beam scale…. I found with a good powder dropper and a magnetically dampened beam scale it’s fast enough for the few rounds I’m not loading on the Dillon (and for dialing in my Dillon powder measures)

I got tired of dealing with drift and other atmospheric interferences you get with digital scales.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So I’ve gone from a cheap digital (after growing up using grandpas old beam scale) to an intellidropper, back to an RCBS beam scale…. I found with a good powder dropper and a magnetically dampened beam scale it’s fast enough for the few rounds I’m not loading on the Dillon (and for dialing in my Dillon powder measures)

I got tired of dealing with drift and other atmospheric interferences you get with digital scales.
    I'll check a charge on my digital and it will be off 0.1. Then I'll weigh it on my beam and its right on. Then I will reset the tare weight on my digital and it will be right on.

Since I'm just loading pistol rounds for range use, 0.1g variance is not an issue with me. Plus, I'm not sure I am even off 0.1 since I can measure it three times and its not off every time.

My powder pan weighs 140.6 grains. If I set it on the scale, set tare weight and remove the pan if it reads 140.5 or 140.7 I reset it.

I think in the long run I'd be better off with just the beam scale!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I've been using a Ohaus balance beam scale for 40+ years. Keep it clean, leave it in the same place all the time, occasionally check the zero. I have found that I need to turn off any window air conditioner or forced air heater when weighing powder. The powder thrower will vary a little, so I typically weigh 3 powder dumps in the same pan at once and use the average.

Likewise, if I have powder in the dispenser and then cycle brass on the press (like priming 50 cases) I have found the first dump or two will be heavy due to the vibration of the press on the bench settling the powder in the dispenser cavity. I never weigh or load the first dump, it's always a bit heavy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've been using a Ohaus balance beam scale for 40+ years. Keep it clean, leave it in the same place all the time, occasionally check the zero. I have found that I need to turn off any window air conditioner or forced air heater when weighing powder. The powder thrower will vary a little, so I typically weigh 3 powder dumps in the same pan at once and use the average.

Likewise, if I have powder in the dispenser and then cycle brass on the press (like priming 50 cases) I have found the first dump or two will be heavy due to the vibration of the press on the bench settling the powder in the dispenser cavity. I never weigh or load the first dump, it's always a bit heavy.
    I like the idea of weighing 3 dumps. I may try that and see if it averages out.

And I always cycle my power dispenser several times before I take my first weighing. Maybe 3-4 times and then check. If it's good, I start charging cases.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I have an RCBS cheapo digital scale that goes for $35. It come with a 50 gram reference weight for calibration. I don't have a beam scale, but do I really need it if I have the reference weight?

My only complaint with it is it needs to warm up for 30 minutes before it should be calibrated (per instructions) but the damn thing auto shuts off after 5 minutes. It'd be nice if auto shut-off could be disabled or the time was at least 30 minutes. It usually reads .1 low until it's warmed up. I check every 10-20 rounds.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the idea of weighing 3 dumps. I may try that and see if it averages out.

And I always cycle my power dispenser several times before I take my first weighing. Maybe 3-4 times and then check. If it's good, I start charging cases.
    I did several 3 dump weighs and the average came out perfect. I also took some extra time the last couple nights and double checked the digital results with my beam. And every time the digital was off 0.1, the beam was right on the money.

I am beginning to think my powder measure is very accurate and that it's just the scales that off occasionally.

Glad I have both. Though if I was only going to have one, I would go with a beam at this point.

Top Bottom