Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    June 21, 2022

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

The Second Amendment guarantees that the right of the American people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. I am a strong believer that a person's inherent right to self-defense and right to individual gun ownership must be preserved and defended. I recognize your concerns about gun violence, and I sincerely empathize with the victims and affected families of horrific tragedies like mass shootings. No one in our country should be subjected to the reprehensible violence of mass killings or hatefully motivated attacks.

Regrettably, in many cases, the numerous laws that are already on the books to protect people from gun violence are not fully and judiciously enforced. Federal, state, and local laws mandating background checks, extreme risk protection orders, capacity limits, and the prohibition of dangerous criminals and the mentally ill from having access to firearms are already widespread. Still, legislators and law enforcement must continue to search for meaningful solutions that prevent instances of devastating gun violence from happening without subverting Americans' right to keep and bear arms. Finally, it is important that we as Americans address and respond to the dark part of our culture that produces violence and destruction. I appreciate your input, and I will keep both your comments and the best interest of Hoosiers in mind when reviewing any legislation that affects the right to keep and bear arms.

Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
    Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator
    I got the same letter.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    This one caught my eye: redefining "engaged in a business".

SEC. 12002. DEFINING ‘‘ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS’’.19
    Section 921 of title 18, United States Code, is20
    amended—21
    (1) in paragraph (21)(C), by striking ‘‘with the22
    principal objective of livelihood and profit’’ and in-23
    serting ‘‘to predominantly earn a profit’’;24
    Yeah, but that kinda makes sense, right?
    I can sew (poorly), but if I do tailoring on the side for money it's still a business even if it's not really about my livelihood.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I can sew (poorly), but if I do tailoring on the side for money it's still a business even if it's not really about my livelihood.
    These farging bastages don't seem to realize without profit the world we know would not exist. You can be in a business and lose money. Just look at CNN.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    These farging bastages don't seem to realize without profit the world we know would not exist. You can be in a business and lose money. Just look at CNN.
    Agreed, but they want people who are improperly acting as dealers, right, not necessarily for the tax reasons. I'm not saying I'm opposed to rethinking the tax structure, but that's an issue for another bill to me.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Do you think you should need some kind of business license and insurance and permission from the king for your weekend/evening tailoring side job?

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Do you think you should need some kind of business license and insurance for your weekend/evening tailoring side job?
    I think that if those laws already exist and there's a slight change in wording, then an analogous substitution for my town's business licensing is not a fundamental reshaping of the law or its application but assists in enforcement. (Of course, why this is federal should lead to head scratching if we're talking about say Centurion arms, assuming that they do their machining in IN). Whether or not that licensing should(n't) exist is a different matter than if this particular part makes a substantial change in the wrong direction.

Edit: I'm clearly not suited for debates decided by who goes to sleep last. Have a good night, all.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I think that if those laws already exist and there's a slight change in wording, then an analogous substitution for my town's business licensing is not a fundamental reshaping of the law or its application but assists in enforcement. (Of course, why this is federal should lead to head scratching if we're talking about say Centurion arms, assuming that they do their machining in IN). Whether or not that licensing should(n't) exist is a different matter than if this particular part makes a substantial change in the wrong direction.

Edit: I'm clearly not suited for debates decided by who goes to sleep last. Have a good night, all.
    Unless I’m seeing something wrong and reading into it, part of this sounds like it wants to force someone that sells a lot of guns as a hobby (eta: also, someone who incidentally wants to sell an 80%) to be a FFL. It at least seems like it’s going down that path, and it seemed like you were ok with that, which surprised me.

And maybe my reading comprehension is poor no matter what time of night, not sure.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Link below to a synopsis. I'll look more into this tonight.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    June 21, 2022

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

The Second Amendment guarantees that the right of the American people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. I am a strong believer that a person's inherent right to self-defense and right to individual gun ownership must be preserved and defended. I recognize your concerns about gun violence, and I sincerely empathize with the victims and affected families of horrific tragedies like mass shootings. No one in our country should be subjected to the reprehensible violence of mass killings or hatefully motivated attacks.

Regrettably, in many cases, the numerous laws that are already on the books to protect people from gun violence are not fully and judiciously enforced. Federal, state, and local laws mandating background checks, extreme risk protection orders, capacity limits, and the prohibition of dangerous criminals and the mentally ill from having access to firearms are already widespread. Still, legislators and law enforcement must continue to search for meaningful solutions that prevent instances of devastating gun violence from happening without subverting Americans' right to keep and bear arms. Finally, it is important that we as Americans address and respond to the dark part of our culture that produces violence and destruction. I appreciate your input, and I will keep both your comments and the best interest of Hoosiers in mind when reviewing any legislation that affects the right to keep and bear arms.

Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
    Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator
    Same letter I got.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I got lost when "gun violence" came up. At that point its all lost if people actually believe that fairy tail. I guess we have "texting violence"....."hammer violence"......"drinking violence"........no matter what, don't ever blame it on a person.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Unless I’m seeing something wrong and reading into it, part of this sounds like it wants to force someone that sells a lot of guns as a hobby (eta: also, someone who incidentally wants to sell an 80%) to be a FFL. It at least seems like it’s going down that path, and it seemed like you were ok with that, which surprised me.

And maybe my reading comprehension is poor no matter what time of night, not sure.
    That wasn't my initial reading, but re-reading it, I could see that as an abuse. Offhand, I thought that underlying threat was already there. My instinct is to agree with you, but I need to think about it a little for the specific wording. In particular, the BATFE has apparently been "warning" dealers of their backdoor deals and not prosecuting when they know that a particualr FFL has been doing illegal deals (I don't have a reference on hand, but I've read about this).

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I’d you get the NRA-ILA alerts from David Conte (AKA my NRA ILA POC) you have an email and a link

Edit and a text with link

Last edited:

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Does it actually have a Language that Defines the difference between Hobby Seller = NO FFL vs Business Seller = YES FFL

I remember a question about this in another thread asking if it was 2 guns / month or ??? - and the response was NOT Defined

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    This one caught my eye: redefining "engaged in a business".

SEC. 12002. DEFINING ‘‘ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS’’.19
    Section 921 of title 18, United States Code, is20
    amended—21
    (1) in paragraph (21)(C), by striking ‘‘with the22
    principal objective of livelihood and profit’’ and in-23
    serting ‘‘to predominantly earn a profit’’;24
    Purposely ambiguous language added to allow "re-interpretation" and selective enforcement against political enemies by alphabet agencies later?

Top Bottom