• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

:runaway:

Early in the pandemic, I was curious as to why everyone wanted to make their own bread all of a sudden and the clerk looked at me like I was well and truly ignorant. It was new home brewers buying large amounts for beer. Which actually made a lot more sense, although it could have been BS.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Early in the pandemic, I was curious as to why everyone wanted to make their own bread all of a sudden and the clerk looked at me like I was well and truly ignorant. It was new home brewers buying large amounts for beer. Which actually made a lot more sense, although it could have been BS.
    While you can make beer (and other alcohol) with bread yeast, it generally is considered to be not a good idea and to use a yeast bred specifically for what you are going for. Beer, wine, cider, etc. When you see people walking out with large amounts of sugar that's when they are going to be brewing something.

There are a few exceptions though, Joe's ancient orange mead aka JAOM is one. It specifically calls for bread yeast. But from my understanding it breaks pretty much every rule of mead making, but somehow turns out a decent brew.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Totally unacceptable! What will we do on cheap beer night?
    Brew your own? A hard cider isn't a bad substitute and apple juice is still widely available along with yeast at your local brewing supply or on the net. And yes in a pinch you can use the stuff off the supermarket shelf.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Won’t effect me, not a beer drinker. But for 2.5 years ( thanks Covid ? ) hve been having issues with ”my” whiskey being out of stock. CVS is my normal best price retailer and at times 2 weeks or more without any. 1 time drove to CVS and then to 2 liquor stores before I found a bottle. Also my brand of hard ale is hard to find at times.

Now back to beer shortage potential…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While you can make beer (and other alcohol) with bread yeast, it generally is considered to be not a good idea and to use a yeast bred specifically for what you are going for. Beer, wine, cider, etc. When you see people walking out with large amounts of sugar that's when they are going to be brewing something.

There are a few exceptions though, Joe's ancient orange mead aka JAOM is one. It specifically calls for bread yeast. But from my understanding it breaks pretty much every rule of mead making, but somehow turns out a decent brew.

I dunno, just saying what I was told. Maybe first time guys didn't know that or just weren't that picky.

Top Bottom