Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    20221205_135852.jpg
    20221205_141137.jpg
    20221205_141815.jpg

20221205_135004.jpg

Castle of the Moors. The tiny gated tunnel is an escape tunnel also called a betrayer's gate.

20221205_135219.jpg

Green flag says Sintra in Arabic.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sintra is *very* hilly. Everyone recommended we take a bus or tuk-tuk to the Pena Palace and Castle of the Moors, but we walked it. I'm glad we did, the views were excellent.

If I had it to do again, I'd have scheduled tonight in Cascais instead of another night in Sintra. We've done what we want to do here and could have hit one more city and seen the beach. But, that's something we can come back for and we can use some rest.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sintra is *very* hilly. Everyone recommended we take a bus or tuk-tuk to the Pena Palace and Castle of the Moors, but we walked it. I'm glad we did, the views were excellent.

If I had it to do again, I'd have scheduled tonight in Cascais instead of another night in Sintra. We've done what we want to do here and could have hit one more city and seen the beach. But, that's something we can come back for and we can use some rest.
    Do you walk around and use public transportation during your trips, or do you ever rent a car?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Those deer had to be moving pretty fast to bust thru the wall like that.

How do you guys decide where to go? Just a random flip thru a travel book or did you seek out the places because you studied up? The decision making would drive me crazy.

Hope your phone doesn't run out of room for more pics, or at least hope you have cloud service there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Those deer had to be moving pretty fast to bust thru the wall like that.

How do you guys decide where to go? Just a random flip thru a travel book or did you seek out the places because you studied up? The decision making would drive me crazy.

Hope your phone doesn't run out of room for more pics, or at least hope you have cloud service there.

Some planning, some random wandering. Each trip is a different on how structured we are. The tighter the budget the more structured you need to be. Train tickets are much cheaper if you buy over a month in advance, for example.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Some planning, some random wandering. Each trip is a different on how structured we are. The tighter the budget the more structured you need to be. Train tickets are much cheaper if you buy over a month in advance, for example.

Wandering around is usually how you discover the best places.
    Well you can end up in some shady places too but you just need to be smart about it.

Some of my best time as a tourist was walking around without a map (and kinda getting lost) in Venice, Italy.

When you take the less traveled pass, away from the tourists, you often find some hidden gems (restaurants, places to visit etc).

I had the same experience of getting lost, on foot (and at night) in Hammond, Indiana ... that wasn't as fun as Venice but still an adventure. :):

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wandering around is usually how you discover the best places.
    Well you can end up in some shady places too but you just need to be smart about it.

Some of my best time as a tourist was walking around without a map (and kinda getting lost) in Venice, Italy.

When you take the less traveled pass, away from the tourists, you often find some hidden gems (restaurants, places to visit etc).

I had the same experience of getting lost, on foot (and at night) in Hammond, Indiana ... that wasn't as fun as Venice but still an adventure. :):

We got off at the train station about 4km from our hotel and walked in purpose rather than using the metro. Discovered a whole new area of the city. We're in the room rehabbing and then heading back out shortly.

*edit*

We are traveling super light this trip. Just 20L back pack each. Washed socks on the sink at last hotel. Not having suitcases has given us a lot more options.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Spent the evening at a Christmas fair. Tried several traditional Portuguese food and drink items. Hot wine is good, but hot mead is dangerously good. Stuffed bread, basically a fully encased sandwich, also quite tasty. I just asked the attendant what their favorite was and tried that.

I got a shot of ginja, the local cherry liqueur, and much better quality then the other place I tried. I went to return the little brown plastic shot glass and they mimed eating it. It was chocolate! And pretty good chocolate.

20221206_190951.jpg

20221206_184940.jpg

20221206_190542.jpg

20221206_194326.jpg

20221206_202127.jpg

20221206_202559.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, today's the last day. Back into the flying metal death tube this afternoon.

My wife says Portugal is her favorite so far I'm not sure I'm ready to bestow favorite status but definitely will return.

More when I'm on a real keyboard again, but Lisbon is great and would make an excellent first trip abroad for anyone. Previously recommended Paris as a starter trip, and still do, but Lisbon may be even easier.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    20221207_154818.jpg

My last Portuguese beer for awhile. A mini at the lounge. The full size are "sem alcohol", AKA without alcohol. What fun is that?

Bought 2 bottles of ginja from duty free so my friends can try it. Didn't get the chocolate shot cups didn't figure they'd make the trip in my crammed backpack without breaking.

Off to my gate.

Top Bottom