• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Good god guys, sorry we are owned by the City. Outdoors? We are covered over head, so even if it rains, you generally wont get wet. I wish we were open during the week, but blame the police for that one.

Incidentally, we are probably going to be closed again this Saturday due to lack of folks/volunteers. One day, we will just close all together. Maybe things will get better after the Glock Match.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Good god guys, sorry we are owned by the City. Outdoors? We are covered over head, so even if it rains, you generally wont get wet. I wish we were open during the week, but blame the police for that one.

Incidentally, we are probably going to be closed again this Saturday due to lack of folks/volunteers. One day, we will just close all together. Maybe things will get better after the Glock Match.

Actually, I was referring more to the dead of winter than to the rain.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars

Yeah, the outdoors thing isn't a big issue really. The range is pretty well covered. :)

and we're trying to work on the volunteers thing. :D

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I belong to a range that has 300 yrds but it's about 45 minutes west of Indy.
    Would be glad to have some company some time.

I decided to join Pops and you helped confirm it is a good place to shoot. Got a good place to shoot long range high powered rounds like 30-06? I have a rifle I would like to sight in at 300 and 500 yards. Thanks

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Well, there is no webpage or really even a phone number. A friend of mine took me there. It's small but nice the weekends are usually crowded so I try to go during the week when I can
    There is a $20.00 a year membership no guests if you want to shoot you pay $20.00 but thats good all year. He has 25 to 300 yrd rifle range and an area for shotgun as well.
    I searched on the web and I was able to find this map, it's not very good and not the way I take to get there but I don't know name of the roads I take. So here it is Contacts The road taking off from HWY 40 is in Brazil.

Otherwise tell me when you have spare time and I will meet you somewhere and I will take you there.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    No I'm talking about Pro-Teq in Brazil
    Hey, that's my current stomping grounds.:D

The link in my signature has contact information for the range owner, though it might be tough to get ahold of him right now since we're getting into farming season. It's a nice range and the one thing the range owner doesn't tolerate is stupidity on the range.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Yeah.... I know what your saying. It's definitely a "cops first" attitude there. They've not been horrible to me, just kind of indifferent. Indianapolis REALLY does need another indoor shooting range as an option since Don's isn't even an option! I really miss "The Gun Room" over in Beech Grove!!! :crying:

The "Gun Room"!!! My bros in law and I used to shoot there 3-4+ times a week back in the day. I forget the rather large fellow that ran its name (carried a Sig P226), but he treated us like family. We would walk in, wave and hit the lanes, sometimes sharing a lane or two if there was other customers.

I worked up on Shadeland so it was on the way home. We stopped in when the "Porches Plus" guys were checking the place out and said it was bought out, but "it was going to remain a range"!!! Well that didnt happen!!!:xmad:

I too miss the Gun Room. When I worked at Bradis p/t, Mike, Wendell and I tried to convince Bob to open a range. I even had the NRA range dept. contact the shop. Mainly, being in Camby, Marion County the insurance was the deal breaker......

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    The "Gun Room"!!! My bros in law and I used to shoot there 3-4+ times a week back in the day. I forget the rather large fellow that ran its name (carried a Sig P226), but he treated us like family. We would walk in, wave and hit the lanes, sometimes sharing a lane or two if there was other customers.

I worked up on Shadeland so it was on the way home. We stopped in when the "Porches Plus" guys were checking the place out and said it was bought out, but "it was going to remain a range"!!! Well that didnt happen!!!:xmad:

I too miss the Gun Room. When I worked at Bradis p/t, Mike, Wendell and I tried to convince Bob to open a range. I even had the NRA range dept. contact the shop. Mainly, being in Camby, Marion County the insurance was the deal breaker......

Yeah.... it was a pretty good place. Although toward the "end" the guy was really cutting corners like keeping the heat REAL low in the winter. And he wasn't servicing the air filtration often enough. I would blow my nose and hack and cough-up black crap for several hours after shooting. :n00b:

I think the owners' last name was Reed. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    In the 7 years I worked at Popguns, I have on occasion seen someone shoot a firearm, and the round would hit the metal target carrier, and you would get fragged by the bullet comming apart.

What was really scary was when they had the encapsulator blocks down range to help keep the chunks of rubber from sliding down. I remember coming into the range to assist someone and as I shut the second door a bullet came back and hit the trash can by the door. The encapsulator block when new will absorb thousands of rounds, but they will get to a point to where they need to be changed out, or they will throw stuff back out at you.

I still shoot there on the on occasion, that is the only place I can pimp out my bump firing technique. The staff at popgun is not afraid to kick anyone out of the range for reckless shooting; sometimes all it takes is someone to blow the whistle on them! The "Cop like" demenor has to do with some of the people they deal with on a daily business. I am sure they don't mean to come off that way, to the normal people who do business there.

Top Bottom