• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    I have a little bone to pick. My son recived his first 22. rifle this Feb on his 9th birthday as I did. He was itching to shoot so a guy @ my work said to go to Popguns. OK. My son and I showed up around 1100 on a Sat. I know not super planning. We waited about 1.5 hrs. Still not bad just bad planning on my part. My son was still jazzed to shoot. We set up and started shooting. I noticed alot of guys down from us talking about the National Guard and serving in the Middle East. They had a number of handguns with them.
    My son was half way thru his 4th 50 round box and smiling from ear to ear :D! I was standing directly behind him and felt something peppering my face! I told him to stop and set the rifle down and get behind me. I come to find out it is coming from the guys down from me. I walked down and asked them what they were shooting? They said ammo they had purchesed from Popguns. I looked at it and seamed fine. One of the guys from Popguns staff came in and loaded the ammo and nailed it perfect in the 10 ring. nothing?? The kid started shooting again and we all got peppered!!! I asked what the hell he was shooting at and tol me the target. We pulled it dack in and he was shooting the clip gard for the target at the top! His buddy (That was a dead eye in Anbar and wasted all kind of Ragheads) told me OOO this is my buddy and he has never shot before! I told what kind of dumbass would rent a gun and give it to somebody who has never shot!! I have to admit I was :xmad: ...
    QUESTION??? Do they just rent guns to anybody??? Do they atleast ask if they have shot before? Train??? I have to admit I don't know if I will be back..

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I understand what you are talking about. I went in there one time and took my wife with me. There was a group of three guys in the lane next to us that had a stack of Hi-Point's. They were shooting ganster style at a target not more than 15 feet away. When they started bouncing shots off the walls it was one thing, but when you could hear the pinging sound when they shot the rafters my wife and I decided to leave.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    That's an unfortunate experience. :(

As far as I've been able to tell, they do rent to anyone whether they have shot before or not. I believe this is good practice, actually, as if you are in the market for a new gun, it's a good idea to get a feel for what will work for you. Holding it in your hand and operating the slide and magazine is great, but knowing what the recoil is like, etc. says a lot more.

My recommendation -- 1) don't go on Saturdays... I'm relatively anti-social and can't stand being around lots of people in a gun shop anyway, but the couple of times I've been in on Saturdays, the caliber of person seems to drop a bit than what you see during the week. 2) Pay attention to who's around you (which you did). It should be the responsibility of the knowledgeable shooter to teach proper gun safety and etiquette to the new shooter he or she brings with him, but sadly, that's not always the case. I only say that because Pops is where I first handled a gun, and it would have been disappointing to me if I had been told I couldn't shoot there because I'd never shot before. I was fortunate that I had very good people with me who took the time to explain everything and help me at least get the shots in the right direction and weren't afraid to tell me what I was doing wrong. But not everyone has such great friends. :)

When we had the hat pickup there a couple of nights ago, there were a couple of guys that made me nervous (from what I understand, I'm not the only one), and I made sure I knew where every single one of them was the whole time they were there. I think the shop guys (and gal) were aware of them as well and paid attention to what they were doing more than I did.

I guess all I'm saying is don't let this one bad experience shy you away from going there with your son. Normally it's a very good place to be that's close to home.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Pami, I have to agree with you. Saturdays is pretty bad. The last time I went there was a couple of guys that appear to be late teens with thier girlfriends. Everytime they gave the girlfriends to shoot they kept hitting the post, they were laughing and having a grand old time missing. Apparently she wasn't taking the activity very seriously. I wrote to Pops about the situation which caused me to pack up and leave early. The response was that I should reported th situation to management to correct. I would feel better if they had a range officer to watch my back in keeping some of the "less responsible" in line by educating them in some shooting range etiqutte

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    thats wild.... I know I've had brass from other lanes flip into my station on occasion thats messed with me a couple times. Sat. seems to be when the bangers tend to go to the range.

I've seen my share of them as well. Thats when I appreciate the fact that card carrying members go to the front of the line. Meanwhile the bangers wait off the line for their turn. :thumbsup:

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Being a member there I like to shoot on weekdays as much as possible so that it's free. (used to be free for members all the time, any day and any time) I have seen some similiar behaviors at Atterbury and New Castle before. Probably the only way to avoid it is to shoot on private land at all times. I would report the unsafe situation to one of the counter guys when it happens. I personally have not seen them remove people from the lanes but heard rumors that it has happened before?:dunno:

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've watched people shoot there that have no idea of what a shooting stance is and they brace themselves on the bench and occasionally see people leaning out into the lane(s) instead of using the booth as protection?! That's probably how strange brass gets into other shooter's areas.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I decided to join Pops and you helped confirm it is a good place to shoot. Got a good place to shoot long range high powered rounds like 30-06? I have a rifle I would like to sight in at 300 and 500 yards. Thanks

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I guess I'm spoiled but I like a shop that when I stand at the counter I actually get help, asked what I need, told where to go or at least the ability to pay for items that I have in my hands!!! The one a$$ clown behind his laptop wont even acknowledge your presence at the counter????:wtf:

I stop in there a couple times a year to see if anythings changed, but no, same old service...... or lack of. If you are a regular or a cop then they pucker for the derrier. And no, I am not shy or a small guy thats hiding either.

You guys and gals that are treated right, more power to you.

Im a south of south sider so Bradis, AAC, Elmores and Cheeks get my $$$.

Out....

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Yeah.... I know what your saying. It's definitely a "cops first" attitude there. They've not been horrible to me, just kind of indifferent. Indianapolis REALLY does need another indoor shooting range as an option since Don's isn't even an option! I really miss "The Gun Room" over in Beech Grove!!! :crying:

I guess I'm spoiled but I like a shop that when I stand at the counter I actually get help, asked what I need, told where to go or at least the ability to pay for items that I have in my hands!!! The one a$$ clown behind his laptop wont even acknowledge your presence at the counter????:wtf:

I stop in there a couple times a year to see if anythings changed, but no, same old service...... or lack of. If you are a regular or a cop then they pucker for the derrier. And no, I am not shy or a small guy thats hiding either.

You guys and gals that are treated right, more power to you.

Im a south of south sider so Bradis, AAC, Elmores and Cheeks get my $$$.

Out....

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For shooting, you cant beat EAGLE CREEK PISTOL RANGE! Come on in! Ol Vern will give you range time for your cash. The only problem, you have to be a gunowner and not a ganster. Just remember, we dont want to make any money, we just love to sell range time ha ha ha ha(because most of us out there DONT GET PAID!:D).

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    I have'nt been to the range at Pops. Everytime I go in there to look for guns I dont get any service. I walk around and look but no one seems to want to help so I leave and spend my money elsewhere. KS&E or Bradis gets my business.

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    For shooting, you cant beat EAGLE CREEK PISTOL RANGE! Come on in! Ol Vern will give you range time for your cash. The only problem, you have to be a gunowner and not a ganster. Just remember, we dont want to make any money, we just love to sell range time ha ha ha ha(because most of us out there DONT GET PAID!:D).

and it's only open on weekends...

Top Bottom