Pop Guns legacy lives on. Unfortunately.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    (Indy Gun Bunker)

So maybe I'm reading into it and its a coincidence, maybe not.

Several years ago I was in the Surplus store just east of 465 on east Washington. Good little shop. I did a transaction there and they were pleasant.

Fast forward a bit and I go in and now they have a gun counter in the back. And coincidentally, Pop Guns is now closed. So I assumed they merged. Because of the absolute crap service I got from them, I decided I'd go elsewhere from that point forward. I wanted nothing to do with anything PG.

I needed some MREs and I recall they had them but decided to try elsewhere first. So I drove to Castleton to the surplus store up there. Small, but the guy was friendly and helpful. I bought one of the MREs I wanted and realized if I wanted more without driving forever I'd have to go down there to Indy Gun Bunker.

I found the MREs I needed and tried to check out. Took forever to get help, and when I did, the guy acted like I was a burden for taking him away from a couple that was hemming and hawing over a gun.

Looks like my intuition was right. Stay away.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Went to their old location just once when I lived like 60 seconds from them.

The kid was trying to say/show how much he knew about guns/colt/1911 when he tried to take it apart and shot the spring across the aisles.

Couldn't help but to laugh and leave and never go back.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    TL;DR my last visit to PG I just wanted to buy an accessory. One guy sat on his butt while the other kid was selling a handgun. Kid told me he would check me out AFTER the customer filled out the 4473 and completed the sale. WTF??!?! Finally the old guy realzed what was happening and got up off his keister and hobbled over to the other register and checked me out. What should have been a quick in and out turned into a 10 minute ordeal.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    It’s unfortunate because the original Pop’s Guns on 10th Street near Washington Square was a nice little shop. Then they opened a store at 56th and Georgetown that was a nice shop but I didn’t think the young guys running it were very friendly. It didn’t last long. Then the move to Post Road and the range and everything went downhill from there. I have bought a lot of surplus stuff from him when he used to set up at the 1500 but I don’t think I’ve bought anything since.
    FYI there is a surplus store at 21st and Arlington that has some true surplus items as wheel as all the knockoff stuff that most people call surplus now. You just need to be very careful in that neighborhood.

Lpherr

Occupied
    TL;DR my last visit to PG I just wanted to buy an accessory. One guy sat on his butt while the other kid was selling a handgun. Kid told me he would check me out AFTER the customer filled out the 4473 and completed the sale. WTF??!?! Finally the old guy realzed what was happening and got up off his keister and hobbled over to the other register and checked me out. What should have been a quick in and out turned into a 10 minute ordeal.
    So 10 minutes is an ordeal now?
    I must have catastrophes every time I enter any business. I've never been in and out in 10 minutes... anywhere.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have defended them on prior occasion due to the service they gave me that was always good. BTW there 3 min from the house. That definitely seems to have changed lately. Last few times in I also felt more like a bother than a customer. And I have spent some serious cash there. Now I make the drive to Highsmith in Greenfield. Always very welcoming wether I buy a gun or just a small item. Badger creek in Mooresville is great to if I'm looking for something specific.
    I'm done with them also. Even though I can almost see them from my house.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So 10 minutes is an ordeal now?
    I must have catastrophes every time I enter any business. I've never been in and out in 10 minutes... anywhere.
    To walk in, grab the singular item and hand them the cash? Yes. Its an ordeal.

ESPECIALLY when they tell you to wait for the guy that is standing there filling out a form while the sales monkey is doing nothing but stare at him filling out the form. :facepalm: Dude had no clue how to multitask and say "While you are doing that, I'll brb. I need to cash this guy out." Its not hard.

Lpherr

Occupied
    To walk in, grab the singular item and hand them the cash? Yes. Its an ordeal.

ESPECIALLY when they tell you to wait for the guy that is standing there filling out a form while the sales monkey is doing nothing but stare at him filling out the form. :facepalm: Dude had no clue how to multitask and say "While you are doing that, I'll brb. I need to cash this guy out." Its not hard.
    I get what you're saying about inept people, that's a daily occurrence, in all aspects of life.

But... it takes more than 10 minutes to pump gas.

Anything that takes only 10 minutes, even dealing with idiots, is a win to me.
    Most people in retail these days, can't find their ass with both hands and a map, in less than 10 minutes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It’s unfortunate because the original Pop’s Guns on 10th Street near Washington Square was a nice little shop. Then they opened a store at 56th and Georgetown that was a nice shop but I didn’t think the young guys running it were very friendly. It didn’t last long. Then the move to Post Road and the range and everything went downhill from there. I have bought a lot of surplus stuff from him when he used to set up at the 1500 but I don’t think I’ve bought anything since.
    FYI there is a surplus store at 21st and Arlington that has some true surplus items as wheel as all the knockoff stuff that most people call surplus now. You just need to be very careful in that neighborhood.

Yes. That shop is a minute from my office. But they dont sell many MREs and what they have tends to be REALLY old. (even by retail MRE standards) The last ones I looked at I though I had a BRAND NEW MRE in my hands. Then I did the date code math in my head and realized it was >10 yo and the code had turned over. It was 2021 and the code was something like 0xxx. Then I realized that the packs sit for a couple years before hitting retail. So it was a 2010, not 2020.

And you are correct about the neighborhood. Its OK during the day if you are alert. A couple blocks south at 10th is even worse. I had a coworker get her passenger glass bashed in while sitting at the light and the mope ripped the purse out her 94yo mother's lap, and I had a guy TRY to pull me into an encounter there but was smart enough to not hear him and keep moving.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I get what you're saying about inept people, that's a daily occurrence, in all aspects of life.

But... it takes more than 10 minutes to pump gas.

Anything that takes only 10 minutes, even dealing with idiots, is a win to me.
    Most people in retail these days, can't find their ass with both hands and a map, in less than 10 minutes.
    Apples and oranges. So you are saying because it takes 10 minutes to buy gas its also OK for the gas station clerk to take 10 minutes when you walk in, slap a pack of gum on the counter and have cash in your hand?

Lpherr

Occupied
    Apples and oranges. So you are saying because it takes 10 minutes to buy gas its also OK for the gas station clerk to take 10 minutes when you walk in, slap a pack of gum on the counter and have cash in your hand?
    Don't twist words. Read the last line of my post.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Don't twist words. Read the last line of my post.
    I didnt twist words. You appeared to validate ALL slow service by saying another retail transaction takes 10 minutes. I was just pointing out how ridiculous your suggestion was. And how irrelevant it is for a single piece cash transaction.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I didnt twist words. You appeared to validate ALL slow service by saying another retail transaction takes 10 minutes. I was just pointing out how ridiculous your suggestion was. And how irrelevant it is for a single piece cash transaction.
    Comparison isn't validation.

I guess taking less time to make a retail purchase, as opposed to filling a gas tank, is ridiculous.
    Do you also complain that the gas pump doesn't pump fast enough? It's ridiculous that it take 10 minutes to fill the gas tank.
    I already scanned the CC, WTH is the problem?

Or maybe you drive one of those fancy EV's...

First world problems

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man, I just do not understand why everything has to get aggressive.
    The thread was reported so I come and look.
    Spoke directly with one of you.
    Pop guns sucked. But that's JMHO through my direct interactions with them at the 56th street store.

Everyone just take a deep breath. Please.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I needed some MREs and I recall they had them but decided to try elsewhere first. So I drove to Castleton to the surplus store up there. Small, but the guy was friendly and helpful. I bought one of the MREs I wanted and realized if I wanted more without driving forever I'd have to go down there to Indy Gun Bunker.
    Where is the place in Castleton?

EDIT: Here it is: https://armynavygear.com :D

Just past BW3.

Top Bottom