• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Many variables. Depends on where you are and what your plans are (dam a ravine or dig a bowl, etc.), though I'm not sure whether or what permitting might be generally needed.

One thing I know that can be an issue is if the area you plan to excavate for the pond is in or near a floodplain or wetland area, or near a permanent stream, it can run afoul of the EPA and DNR.

Had a friend dig out his pond area when he planned to build on his property and got a cease and desist and, I believe, an order to revert the area to its previous state.

I'm sure others with more knowledge and experience will be along shortly with more and better information.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I had a 0.75 acre pond built a few years ago. I added stacks of old pallets weighed down by concrete blocks for cover and stocked it with Bullhead minnows last spring. They were thriving in the fall but I haven't checked yet to make sure they made it through the winter. Assuming they did I'll have an established population and will add Bluegills, hopefully yet this month. Eventually I'd like to have Bass.

Permitting will be entirely up to your county unless, as posted above, you impinge on a stream, wetland or similar. Then the feds become involved.

We dug two test holes a season in advance to make sure the spot held water before digging the pond in earnest. I also hired a pond consultant after construction to provide some advice on how to proceed. I can give you his contact number if you're interested. I need to add plants yet (but that is on my very long do-list). The pond became loaded with tadpoles/frogs on it's own which I'm sure the minnows (and bluegills in the future) will enjoy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I asked about this in Brown County and was told an embankment was DIY up to 20 ft. After that, or if other issues exist, it required engineering and permits. Keep in mind that dug ponds require a certain amount of surrounding runoff to work. Something like 6 acres for every 1 acre of pond. I might be wrong on the 6:1, but the formula is out there. I can only guess that each county would have rules unique to it. Better to ask first.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Contact your local Soil & Water Conservation District office. The District Conservationist with the Natural Resources Conservation Service there can provide you with much information/ regulations, and may be able to do a site review with you. They will aslo put you in contact with resources like contractors, engineers, etc.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    As several have already mentioned, the rules on pond permits will vary according to county. In my county, the process is similar to a building permit. So check with the Plan Commission to see what the process or rules are for your county. And the county surveyor is involved in the approval process to make sure no tile lines or drainage ditches are affected.

Here we also have the 5:! ratio = 5 acres of watershed for each surface acre of water to keep it full. That may also vary in your county due to soil types. Local excavators should know that info.

Advice on building the pond and stocking / maintaining it can be found at the Purdue Extension Office or the Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) office in your county. One note on stocking - if you put in bluegills, be sure to stock a predator species too (= bass) in order to keep the populations balanced. Otherwise, the bluegill will quickly overpopulate the pond and you will have too many small, stunted bluegill.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana

I highly recommend you contact Scott Schillig for a consult before you start. He has been extremely helpful to me in developing and revitalizing my pond.

View attachment 194461
    That's a gorgeous looking puddle. Isn't the soil in Michiana sandy and the terrain relatively flat? It seems like it would be difficult to find an ideal spot for a dug pond. About how deep is the water in the pic?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I may have a friend that "farms" tilapia in some tanks.
    There are some vids of people farming tilapia in an above ground pool (in their basement) and using veggie plants/soils as a water filter for the pool. Grow lights on the ceiling etc. I can't imagine the electric bill for that kind of setup. Looks cool as as can be but rather impractical.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Thanks for the ideas. Had a new well drilled this past week. 70ft of clay on this property. Water stands on it so problematically, I'm not concerned if it will hold water. I have very little runoff that can be redirected to the pond. No creeks etc. A few collapsed tiles that may need addressed. No wetland. 20 acres to contour toward it. I could easily barrow runoff from the neighboring fields, but don't want the nitrogen in the water.

I think I am set but will talk to the County Surveyor to check for permit needs.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    That's a gorgeous looking puddle. Isn't the soil in Michiana sandy and the terrain relatively flat? It seems like it would be difficult to find an ideal spot for a dug pond. About how deep is the water in the pic?
    Pond is spring/ground water fed and 15-17’ at full pool. It started its life decades ago as a gravel pit. After 3 years of work it’s finally shaping up.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I asked about this in Brown County and was told an embankment was DIY up to 20 ft. After that, or if other issues exist, it required engineering and permits. Keep in mind that dug ponds require a certain amount of surrounding runoff to work. Something like 6 acres for every 1 acre of pond. I might be wrong on the 6:1, but the formula is out there. I can only guess that each county would have rules unique to it. Better to ask first.
    That is a big DIY. Ponds with a larger watershed will tend to be more fertile. Do not place it where you'll have lawn fertilizer or critter poop concentrate running into it. It will be green from late June through October if you do. Keying the dam to the existing soil is important to prevent it slipping or leaking. An experienced operator will make it an asset instead of a pain in the asset.

Top Bottom