• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    If they are in prison then they cannot bring in more blueberry pop tarts.

This sounds like the snark of someone whose faulty logic has been pushed into a corner.

When I was 5, we had a coon in the barn and my uncle killed it with a .22. There was a good lesson from my father on firearms, death, and what death meant. Even at that age, I was able to clearly understand the difference between the .22 that shot that coon and the cap guns that me and my friends played with.

Cap guns, stick guns, and gun-shaped pop tarts are not the reason we have young adults committing mass shootings. Moreover, kids are not complete idiots that need to be isolated behind extreme, inflexible and unrealistic rules until they turn 18 and magically become adults. In fact, turning 18 or any other age will not magically make them well-adjusted adults. Rather, kids need to experience and be educated to gain understanding and experience over time. It is the fact that many of our youth are completely isolated from firearms and their implementation in hunting that, in my opinion, is partly responsible for young adults not having a realistic grasp of and respect for firearms.

Some absurd aversion to pop tart and stick guns is not going to do one iota towards solving the problem.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Umm, you're serious? I need to make that purple?? When did INGO go all Aspy?

I don't think kids should be punished for making pop tarts into guns.

Children, especially young children, should be taught not to point anything gun like at others. It provides a hard and fast rule that kids crave.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    RESURRECTED THREAD

You have thrown a lot of straw men at Kirk. I won't even try to answer those.

The only thing I might disagree with Kirk on is I don't think the four rules are applicable to a pointed finger, a stick or a pop tart. If it looks like a gun it is treated like a gun.

In force on force training all weapons all live ammunition is removed from the area. There are instructors/safety personnel. They practice either with modified handguns, rifles, and shotguns or with blue guns and knives. Training for actual situations engaging threats while maintaining muzzle security with teamates. Still occasionally someone is wounded.

I cannot see where children playing with paintball guns or airsoft guns is comparable to force on force training.

When I was kid I played cowboys and Indians cops and robbers and army. My favorite was army. Sticks became a rifle or a pistol, a clod of dirt was a hand grenade. I was never allowed to have guns, my father was a pacifist. When I joined the army, against my father's will. I learned firearm safety. I became an avid shooter and I learned the four rules. I have never been allowed my kids to play with guns. In the summer they had squirt bottles or tubes with animal faces that sucked up water out of the pool to shot each other to cool off. My son loved playing army, every stick was a gun every cold of dirt a hand grenade. I taught them the four rules.

RULE 1
    ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    The only exception to this occurs when one has a weapon in his hands and he has personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as he puts it down, Rule 1 applies again.
    RULE 2
    NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
    You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.
    RULE 3
    KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.
    RULE 4
    BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
    You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it

They were taught the reason they couldn't play with toy guns was so that they wouldn't learn to point anything that looks like a gun at another person.

When I went in the army I was taught firearms safety. We went to the range learned how to shoot and qualified with our weapons. In the infantry we did a lot of tactical training many times with live in ammunition . In "bounding over watch" we had to be very careful not to point our weapons in the direction of friendlies. When we did train with blanks we had to observe the same rules because what you do in training is what you will do in combat. We always practiced muzzle security. At all times.

The CBS hit piece on gunss they had some pink cricket rifles laying on the ground in a play ground. They allowed the children to pick them up. The children thought they were toy guns so they picked them up and began to play with them. When they learned the rifles were real they threw them down to the ground in fright. Though they were only 10 to 12 years old they realized real guns could cause real injuries and they shouldn't be pointing them at each other. Maybe they had been allowed to play with toy guns and hadn't been taught about muzzle security. Or maybe they had and didn't realize it was really important.

Shoulder holsters and cross draw carrey require the carrier to fan 90 to 180 degrees in order to come on a target in front of them. Strong side carry you can come up safely on a target without fanning anyone.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom