• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Don’t think he had much to do with modern powders or modern bullet tech. I could be mistaken…..cause I am often. But in this case I’ll stand pat.
    IMG_5165.png
    The acp family isn’t perfect. But they don’t seem to be going away. Even with modern attempts to replace (32 NAA, 30 super carry, 400 cor bon, 45 super) , they still seem to hold their own.

His 35 caliber pistol cartridges didn’t seem to do well. But for good reason, 9x19 really was superior to 9mm long and 38 acp.

380 still seems to still have a place due to its ability to be in a much smaller lighter gun than 9x19.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    View attachment 331591
    The acp family isn’t perfect. But they don’t seem to be going away. Even with modern attempts to replace (32 NAA, 30 super carry, 400 cor bon, 45 super) , they still seem to hold their own.

His 35 caliber pistol cartridges didn’t seem to do well. But for good reason, 9x19 really was superior to 9mm long and 38 acp.

380 still seems to still have a place due to its ability to be in a much smaller lighter gun than 9x19.
    Truly correct, but my point, small tho it was. The advancement in chemical engineering and bullet jacketing is what I was talking about. Heck the advancement in bullet jackets alone in the last 25 years would have given JB a whole different world to work with. I only wish he and a few other old timers could be with us now.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Truly correct, but my point, small tho it was. The advancement in chemical engineering and bullet jacketing is what I was talking about. Heck the advancement in bullet jackets alone in the last 25 years would have given JB a whole different world to work with. I only wish he and a few other old timers could be with us now.
    I get your point, it's just that saying that a man the nearly single handedly moved an entire industry a century ahead in ALL AREAS: design, function, ammunition, manufacturing, etc is "limited by technology" seems incredulous to the man's legacy.

John Moses Browning was not limited by technology because when he came up against a technical or engineering issue he just invented everything around it necessary to make it work.

He created entirely new cartridges to fit his guns, he created new guns to fit existing and improved ammunition. He invented both at the same time...

There wasn't a repeating shotgun before Browning, there wasn't a semi auto shotgun until Browning. If he didn't invent the first semi auto pistol he certainly refined it into designs that have stood for over 100 years and most modern designs still copy the short recoil action and tilting barrel that he invented.

Okay I'll quit beating this horse. Carry on

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I get your point, it's just that saying that a man the nearly single handedly moved an entire industry a century ahead in ALL AREAS: design, function, ammunition, manufacturing, etc is "limited by technology" seems incredulous to the man's legacy.

John Moses Browning was not limited by technology because when he came up against a technical or engineering issue he just invented everything around it necessary to make it work.

He created entirely new cartridges to fit his guns, he created new guns to fit existing and improved ammunition. He invented both at the same time...

There wasn't a repeating shotgun before Browning, there wasn't a semi auto shotgun until Browning. If he didn't invent the first semi auto pistol he certainly refined it into designs that have stood for over 100 years and most modern designs still copy the short recoil action and tilting barrel that he invented.

Okay I'll quit beating this horse. Carry on
    Me.
    “he was limited to the technology of the time as it pertains to gun powder and projectiles.”

You.
    ”limited by technology “

See the difference?

Don’t want to. Ain’t going to. Won’t. argue with you.

My only point is, that if the God of guns would have had the products we have today, he could, would have done even greater things than he did, in terms of accomplishments.

Making an argument just for the sake of arguing is a no win.

That’s it for me.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked up this little gem last month. Its a Beretta Model 35 SAO in 7.65 (.32 ACP). Shoots very nice, got 4" group at 5 yards on 9 shots. Super easy to field strip too. Just put the safety on, drop the magazine, pull slide back and lock it with the safety lever, push the barrel out the huge open top of the slide, and pull the slide forward and off. Have to watch because then the safety lever will just fall out and can be lost if not careful.
    1707444104711.png

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That's gorgeous. How's that carry? I'm thinking of an lcp2 in .380 for a pocket carry.
    Thanks!

I haven't carried it for a good while, there's better carry options that I have but none that are as pretty. This example is in .32acp and is just an absolute joy to shoot. I haven't shot the .380 version but I have a Sig Sauer P230 that is chambered in .380 and its such a sweet gun as well.

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    Thanks!

I haven't carried it for a good while, there's better carry options that I have but none that are as pretty. This example is in .32acp and is just an absolute joy to shoot. I haven't shot the .380 version but I have a Sig Sauer P230 that is chambered in .380 and its such a sweet gun as well.
    Whew! Those Colt 1903 and 1908's are pricey.

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    Last I looked it was around $500 for a serviceable example. I put quite a lot of work into mine, it was pretty rusty with zero finish left. I parkerized it, and I really like how it turned out with the walnut grips.
    Okay, the 1903 is cheaper. Cheapest 1908 on gunbroker that wasn't the vest pocket, was 1000.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Ive thought the same thing about Charles Newton. Its clear that cartridge developers ideas pre WWII were often limited by the early powders. Certain cartridges were wildcatted back then but didnt really get the boost in efficiency until better powders later.

I'm not sure how this relates to pistol cartridges or if it had anything to do with the ACP cartridges all being relatively low pressure rounds. I've always thought they should have been higher to begin with, but I'd hate to step on JMBs toes!

Pics to keep it a pic thread. My very short lived kel tec p3at. Got me hooked on pocket guns, took me no time at all to trade up and get started on my Ruger LCPs
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Ive heard it said that the LCP was a rip off of the P3AT. Based on how they are built I'd agree. But Ruger did it much better IMHO.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom