Plumbers: Water heater woes - fix or replace?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Looking for the plumbers here to weigh in on my situation.

10 years into a Kenmore 12 year 50 gal natural gas fired water heater, throwing a code that equals 'Temperature sensor failure'. Troubleshooting says replace Gas Control Valve/Thermostat, which is to say the main logic board. That's a little over $200 for parts and my time to swap it.

It is still making hot-ish water so I have so time to consider my options. I have not reset it yet but plan to maybe tomorrow; I am concerned it will not make any hot water after I do. We are on city water with no softener in front of the heater so calcification is also a concern. A new replacement is north of $799 and again my labor to replace it.

We are in this house for maybe four more years. I'm on the fence about what to do. I really don't want to dump $900 and a weekend when I could get by with $200 and a Saturday.

What's been the experience out there and general consensus on throwing parts at a water heater this old?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I don't see why a temperature sensor error would necessitate replacing a gas valve or control board. Drain it, pull and inspect sensor, run continuity tests to ensure all the wires are intact, replace sensor if cheap enough to try?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For 75 years a gas water heater had a gas valve and a thermocouple. If it was not leaking, put in a new $6, thermocouple. I cannot remember changing a gas valve on a water heater. Now we have $200 control boards. How many hundred years can a standing pilot system burn before it uses $200 in gas?

Now that I ranted like the old grouch that I am, It would not make sense to put a $200 part in a 10 year old water heater.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    For 75 years a gas water heater had a gas valve and a thermocouple. If it was not leaking, put in a new $6, thermocouple. I cannot remember changing a gas valve on a water heater. Now we have $200 control boards. How many hundred years can a standing pilot system burn before it uses $200 in gas?

Now that I ranted like the old grouch that I am, It would not make sense to put a $200 part in a 10 year old water heater.
    $12 for a thermocouple as of about 3 months ago :-/

Reactions: Leo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't see why a temperature sensor error would necessitate replacing a gas valve or control board. Drain it, pull and inspect sensor, run continuity tests to ensure all the wires are intact, replace sensor if cheap enough to try?
    It is all in one unit that has the controls/sensors/valve inside. Nothing serviceable on these units.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Best bet is to replace the whole thing. One less worry as to when it will finally let go and then your replacing it after dumping $200 into parts to band-aid it along.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Replace it and you don't have to worry for the 4 more years you're there. When you sell the house a 4 year old water heater is going to be more attractive to buyers than a 14 year old water heater.
    And you will have gotten some use/benefit out of it, rather than replacing it for resale, etc.

Top Bottom