• ...and so much more!
  • mr_kravmaga

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2021
    Trafalgar
    Good morning. I have a small leak in my shower near the wall where the 1/4 round was pulled up (see photo). We tried to caulk the shower rail (didn’t work). I’m not a plumber but it might be coming from the drain.

Anyone near the TRAFALGAR area that may want to take a look? Not a big job, but we can do cash/ammo?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1B9D2E55-2CBD-4192-9C73-1E870410E3A1.jpeg
      1B9D2E55-2CBD-4192-9C73-1E870410E3A1.jpeg
      563.5 KB · Views: 48
    • 4270BEA2-6471-49A3-BD0C-3B03D8F023E5.jpeg
      4270BEA2-6471-49A3-BD0C-3B03D8F023E5.jpeg
      429.3 KB · Views: 47
    • A6399697-7E32-498D-82CD-DBB96EC0FCB2.jpeg
      A6399697-7E32-498D-82CD-DBB96EC0FCB2.jpeg
      306.8 KB · Views: 47

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If your area is anything like ours finding a skilled trades person will be like looking for a particular piece of hay in a hay stack.

in case of emergency break glass situation, a tubing cutter, pex and shark bite connectors may be your best option

Good Luck

mr_kravmaga

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2021
    Trafalgar
    If your area is anything like ours finding a skilled trades person will be like looking for a particular piece of hay in a hay stack.

in case of emergency break glass situation, a tubing cutter, pex and shark bite connectors may be your best option

Good Luck
    Thank you

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    It could be the drain. It could be the connection to the shower valve. It could be the pipe behind the wall. Water seeks the lowest point / easiest path; so where you see the water isn't necessarily where it's coming from. None of those are hard to fix once you get to them. But you probably will have to pull your shower liner out and / or cut through the drywall.

If you want to try the "quick fix" options first: If you suspect the drain, you could try thoroughly caulking (100% silicon caulk suggested) between the drain flange and the drain pipe. Also, I'm assuming the wall with the leak is the one behind the showerhead / shower controls? If so, you can unscrew the faceplate behind the shower handle and take a look at your shower valve. Is there any leak coming from that?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Good morning. I have a small leak in my shower near the wall where the 1/4 round was pulled up (see photo). We tried to caulk the shower rail (didn’t work). I’m not a plumber but it might be coming from the drain.

Anyone near the TRAFALGAR area that may want to take a look? Not a big job, but we can do cash/ammo?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    It appears you have removed the cover off the valve, can you see anything leaking in there. Look in there while the shower is running also.

If the drain is a no caulk drain, make sure the nut is compressing the gasket.

What is on the opposite side of the wall that the valve is on.

mr_kravmaga

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2021
    Trafalgar
    Thank you for your replies. Washer and dryer are behind the shower. I really didn't want to pull the damn shower insert out. I think Im just gonna call a plumber.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I'll pretty much attempt anything. But plumbing, unless it's the easiest/simple fix. I don't mess with it. Locally we've got a good plumber, with reasonable prices. Good luck!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thank you for your replies. Washer and dryer are behind the shower. I really didn't want to pull the damn shower insert out. I think Im just gonna call a plumber.
    This is a tough one. You could easily eliminate the most obvious things, which is the valve assembly and pipe going up to shower head. I would do that by going into the laundry room and cutting out an access panel. It dont have to be very big.......unless you also want to check the drain from that angle.

If I was doing this job......I would remove baseboard trim in laundry room, cut out a panel from the floor to about 4 feet up and maybe 1 foot wide. MAKE SURE YOU DONT CUT PLUMBING. Turn on the shower, go in laundry room and wait for leak.......then you will know.

If it is leaking at the drain, you will want a plumber. In that first photo the drain looks a little "different". I dont ever recall seeing the pipe stick out the top like that. That brass ring should unscrew...and if so you could unscrew it, clean it real good, check the gasket under the shower(thru the hole), if it is ok......then take 100% silicone and put on bottom of that brass ring while unscrewed, then screw it down and wipe excess off. Don't damage that ring though, just in case it is a hard to get one. But like I said.......it looks weird to me how the pipe is coming up thru the brass ring, so not sure how they did that. If it is wrong, being on a slab......the shower will have to come out.

If you get real lucky you may be able to replace that drain from laundry room, but just hard to say if it can be done without cutting drywall out.

I am not a plumber.......but I do quite a few bath remodels every year. Good luck!

Top Bottom