Please Write Clear Thread Titles, And Help Stop Dupes...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is getting frustrating that we all have to deal with so many dupe threads because of unclear thread titles. Please, make you title express what the thread is about. This is frustrating to others when they post a clear topic or news event to discuss and then they get jumped on for being a duplicate but no reasonable person would interpret the original thread title as the same topic. Then users interested in the topic expressed by the clear title start a discussion that gets locked and the unclear thread often has fewer interested members involved because those with interest did not understand the topic. A big part of this seems to be this competition to write a cool or funny title rather than to write the actual topic.

Case in point, and this is far from the only one I have seen.

Ammo Worth More Than Drugs?​

Or

7 million rounds stolen on way to Texas​

The latter clearly started a conversation on the topic while the former created just some banter. Then not writing clear titles wastes other members time, mods time, and diminishes the discussion. Just tell us what your topic is clearly so we can get to it...

I am not a mod nor trying to be, just wanted to express my frustration with these unclear thread titles...

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Always use the search function before starting a new thread.

Cute, cryptic titles may not get your topic viewed.

If you find a duplicate thread link to the other thread(s) in a post. That way users are pointed to the still open thread.

When reporting dupes check the time the threads were started, report the newer version.

:twocents:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you see a dupe thread, please report it.

If it's a news story, take a few minutes And use the search function. It works much better than before.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We're about dupes as well as threadjacking and becoming completely derailed at times. You should know that by now. :lmfao: :ugh:
    I come here for the threadjacking and derailment. I'm opposed to dupes. That is all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This sure is hard.

Why the resistance to making the forum more organized and usable?

Then in the woman of our youth members insist they don't need to put name on the pics.

Why is it bad to make things clear and eliminate the need for others to need to ask who?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    This sure is hard.
    Not really.

Is there some hidden competition to see who can write the title that gives the least information about the topic discussed? If there is I wish they would declare a winner so that the mystery titles would go away. Do views figure in the scoring? What's the prize anyway?

There are the folks who, like Sherlock Holmes and his ability to identify 140 different types of tobacco ash, have abilities beyond the rest of us and to them the titles they create are clear and concise. To them I say: What's that when it's at home?

In other words - keep it simple and clear for those of who who aren't as brilliant or aren't in the least clear title contest.

When creating a title for a thread ask yourself will someone who reads this a year from now know what the thread is about?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Honestly, duplicate threads are not a big deal. We don't get them every day. If one is found, the thread that was first will stay open. On occasion, we will merge the two threads if the circumstances are right.

As to the titles, some members like to be creative with their titles. Unless it's offensive or breaks a rule, we leave it alone.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's almost like some thread titles are click-bait? :scratch:

Can we get away with using such mystery titles in the classifieds?

WTS: Gold Bullion, cheap...

Now that I have your attention, I have some factory 9mm, priced a little cheaper than gold...

:)

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    Honestly, duplicate threads are not a big deal. We don't get them every day. If one is found, the thread that was first will stay open. On occasion, we will merge the two threads if the circumstances are right.

As to the titles, some members like to be creative with their titles. Unless it's offensive or breaks a rule, we leave it alone.

Offensive? No, not at all. Just irritating. Especially when one of those threads gets a new post after sitting dormant for a period and you pop in a second time.; or third, or fourth....rinse and repeat.

Wouldn't be as bad if we could ignore entire threads. Honestly that would be useful in multiple situations.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Offensive? No, not at all. Just irritating. Especially when one of those threads gets a new post after sitting dormant for a period and you pop in a second time.; or third, or fourth....rinse and repeat.

Wouldn't be as bad if we could ignore entire threads. Honestly that would be useful in multiple situations.
    You can ignore them. Just don't click on them. I do it all the time.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To me it is the silliness of those creative titles, where another member does their best due diligence to be sure not to post a dup, then after making their post, and a good discussion starts, someone posts that it is a dup but no reasonable person would have known...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom