• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    If you're petite I think a good pistol brace should work well, I say don't worry about a tax stamp and traditional buttstock anytime soon. Most likely the one you shot had a brace on, most 10.5 AR's are pistols not SBR's. Could ask the person you shot with to make sure if that's possible.

Do you like the look of painted guns? Possible that you could save quite a bit of money by buying a standard good quality black rifle and painting and switching out parts as you please, instead of building from scratch. But if you're dead set on building from scratch go for it.
    I definitely think buying one already built would probably be the cheapest route to go. I'm out of gun shows to look for one though.

I haven't ruled anything out. The gun I saw at the Kokomo gun show was just painted.

I'm looking for ideas and product sources.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    If you want a "deliberate" feeling trigger, go 2-stage. Maybe a Larue MBT-2S, I really like mine. Lots of nice 2-stage triggers out there.

For shorter arms I would stick with a collapsible stock over a fixed or A2 stock. I probably wouldn't run a super long handguard that goes all the way out to the muzzle, because your arms won't go out that far anyway. Compare an LWRC to a Daniel Defense M4 to see what I mean.

There's sooooo many grips out there, you basically just have to go on Brownells or whatever and pick out something that looks like what you're looking for.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You can check this site out for some different color options

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Suggestion: If you can go 16 inch or more on the barrel, you can use any kind of stock you want and be legal. Bonus: longer barrel will get the bullet moving faster. Bullet will work better at higher speeds. can you find a picture on line of what you think you want and post it?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I definitely think buying one already built would probably be the cheapest route to go. I'm out of gun shows to look for one though.

I haven't ruled anything out. The gun I saw at the Kokomo gun show was just painted.

I'm looking for ideas and product sources.
    I have a nice RRA lower for sale in the classifieds. Sweet RRA two stage match trigger. Would make a really nice start. Just sayin'...

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    26 posts on a "Girly" AR and no Hans and Franz reference?
    I had to click on the sub forum because the topic looked like this:

INGOCapture.JPG

I thought someone was going out grave robbing ala Frankenstein...thought INGO was getting creepy.

Short of the infamous Hello Kitty pink and white AR, I would like to see what a woman chooses as a "girly AR". Please post pics when you are done gungirl!

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I had to click on the sub forum because the topic looked like this:

View attachment 138386

I thought someone was going out grave robbing ala Frankenstein...thought INGO was getting creepy.

Short of the infamous Hello Kitty pink and white AR, I would like to see what a woman chooses as a "girly AR". Please post pics when you are done gungirl!
    I like Hello Kitty. I'm not opposed to a pink & white AR. For the right price, anything is possible.
    I'm not sure I even know what girly is. Honestly, if I picked an HK gun up & it was a purrfect fit & the right price, it would go home with me.

Sometimes when I pick up a gun I feel the energy from it. Sometimes it's as if they talk to me & beg to come home with me. Surely you all know what I mean. Why else would we have so many guns?

The painted gun I saw at the show looked happy. It made me smile. I want a happy gun. I want to look at it & immediately burst into a smile. Who says it can't be both functional & pretty?

Let's face it, I will spend more time looking at it than I will be shooting it. I want it to be pretty for the same reason you want your guy or gal to be pretty.

Maybe if my gun looks sweet & innocent, Joe & the Hoe won't take it away from me.

Maybe if I make an attacker laugh at my gun they will reconsider wanting to harm me. Or maybe they will no longer consider me a threat so that I can take care of business if I have to.

There is a philosophy behind wanting something unique & pretty if for no other reason than to make me smile.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I build all my ARs myself. The anodized parts get expensive pretty quick. Theres lots of parts options out there in a variety of color. Strike industries and guntec both offer several color options for accents.

As far as tools, an armors wrench, set of roll pin punches, brass hammer or even a dead blow type hammer, and upper and lower voice block is about all you need.

Like FMJ stated, they're really pretty simple to build. Legos for big kids

Heres a few I've built

View attachment 138340
    Very nice work. Beautiful guns.

Although I consider myself handy, how do I not have to use tools? What needs to be put together to avoid this?

I would like to build a few before I start punching holes into them. :-)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You could find an AR you like and have AllenM ceracote it in any colors or designs you want. He could also switch out parts or modify it to suit your liking. They really are like Tinker Toys for big boys.... er I mean big girls.... oh, I mean adults!!!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Very nice work. Beautiful guns.

Although I consider myself handy, how do I not have to use tools? What needs to be put together to avoid this?

I would like to build a few before I start punching holes into them. :-)
    It all depends how involved you want to be in the build. You can buy a complete upper and complete lower and there's no tools needed, but that's not really building it.

You could also buy a lower and upper that already have the bolt catch (lower) and forward assist (upper) installed then there isnt any need for roll pin punches or a hammer.

An armorers tool is needed to install (tighten) some parts like the castle nut for the buffer system, some flash hides, and barrel nut. The vise blocks are nice in aiding with assembly but not 100% neccessary

If you were closer I'd be happy to show you and even lend you the necessary tools

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Just to be clear, that is not a stock. That is a pistol brace. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, just making sure you know there is a difference.
    You're absolutely right. I forgot that we have to be politically correct.

Being new to ARS it slips my mind that I need to differentiate that I want to build a pistol.

If I have a stock I'm building a rifle.

I'm a law abiding citizen, to me I'm just building a gun.

My pistol can be a rifle but your rifle cannot be my pistol. I'm learning.

Noob mistake. That's why I have you guys/gals to keep me out of trouble.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Being new to ARS it slips my mind that I need to differentiate that I want to build a pistol.

It'd be worth some extra study to know exactly what you are getting into in building a braced pistol in our current political environment. :twocents:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Has anyone ever bought from these guys? The material sounds fancy but is it durable?

The material is typical billet material.
    Billet is machined from a solid block of aluminum. Forged is cast aluminum. You want really fancy? Titanium!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

That's pretty much correct. The bottom line is that if you're gonna go shorter than a 16" barrel then it must not have a shoulder stock or a vertical foregrip unless you intend to register it as an sbr (short barreled rifle) and pay for a tax stamp. That requires a more involved process to become legal.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom