• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Hey guys / gals, it's me again, probably better grab a drink and a snack if you are going to read this.

I've been thinking recently I should probably pick up an AR or an AK. I've never been into long guns much so I know absolutely nothing about either one.

I saw a really cool girly AR at the Kokomo show. It tickled my fancy because it was colorful. I liked it but it did not necessarily look to be of the highest quality.

I liked it about $895 worth. I was not even going to insult the dealer and ask him for such a deal.

For $1,200+ dollars I want something a little beefier and more sturdy looking.

After the show my friend let me shoot their AR chambered in .223.

I typically suck at long guns but I actually did a decent job shooting that AR.

Since I'm not having any luck finding an affordable truck or realistically priced Colt detective or agent, now it's time to look for parts to build my very own customized AR.

I want to build something that's uniquely mine.
    I want it to be badass yet lady like. I'm looking for parts that will enhance reliability and durability but I don't want to go broke for fancy stuff someone like me doesn't need.

I have no idea how to build an AR. I have no clue what the pieces are or where to get them.
    Looking at catalogs doesn't help me if I don't know the name of what it is I'm looking for.

I work long and crazy hours and run a zoo on the side. I don't have lots of extra time for research. I need somebody to help me get on the speed path to find AR parts so I can assemble my new friend.

I always wanted an older brother and never got one. That's what I use INGO for now.

No one has ever really taken the time to teach me what I need to know about guns except for some of you. I learn things as I need to know them.

You guys know this stuff frontwards and backwards. Could you please share your knowledge with me? Come on guys, help a sister out.

Please show me some pictures of what you have and why you like it. Where did you find your cool parts?

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I typically shoot right handed. However with the AR I naturally shot it in a left-handed position without even realizing it.

Due to residual whiplash in my neck it is almost impossible to shoot right handed while looking with my left eye. It is painful to try to tilt my head into position.

Everything is further complicated by my short little arms.

Something about the AR instinctively fixed my shooting position problem.

I will admit that I do not know sh*t but I want to learn.

These are things I'm looking for in an AR this

Gungirl's AR Wish List

*I know that I need a longer trigger pull as opposed to a hair trigger. I need a happy medium.

*I prefer metal to plastic.

* I like smooth grips (Hogue-like) with the finger spaces in them.

* I liked the 10.5" barrel of the AR I shot. However I might like an even shorter barrel. I am petite. Correction it was a 11.5 " barrel.

* I like curves and shapes as opposed to just simple & plain.

*I do like chrome and stainless.

Girly extras

*Colors like pink, gray, black, red,orange or fluorescent green.

* Flags, crosses, skulls, cats, something unique.

* I want it chambered in .223 / 5.56 X 45mm

Anyone have any extra parts you want to sell?

What do I need, where do I get it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

This is what I have so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-121218~2.png
      Screenshot_20210504-121218~2.png
      2.2 MB · Views: 14
    Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Building an AR is much easier than you may think.

I built two last year.

I got my lowers from diff places but I go my uppers from bear creek.

A few weeks ago I was at the 1500. There was a whole big booth full of ar bits and bobs in different colors.

I really liked the purple so next show I think I'm going to buy a bunch of the purple bits to turn my black rifle to black and purple.

My advice.
    Find a basic parts list online.
    Swing by the 1500 next round.

Pick up a stripped lower then head over to that booth and finish out the rest of the build with whichever color strikes your fancy.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I build all my ARs myself. The anodized parts get expensive pretty quick. Theres lots of parts options out there in a variety of color. Strike industries and guntec both offer several color options for accents.

As far as tools, an armors wrench, set of roll pin punches, brass hammer or even a dead blow type hammer, and upper and lower voice block is about all you need.

Like FMJ stated, they're really pretty simple to build. Legos for big kids

Heres a few I've built

20210503_182113.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    When it comes to buying an AR wrench.

Don't buy the cheapest one on amazing and expect it to work.....ask me how I know.....

Buy one cry once. Just buy the $70magpul one of you can find it.

For a punch kit I use this

Worked well to scope up my lever gun and to build my ar's.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Depending on your budget, Mountainside Outfitters in Missouri do some really cool build packages. Their "Build an AR Workshop" is what it sounds like... Build a Bear ...with guns. They post their creations on FB. Creative folks. When they were expanding, I begged them to come to Indiana...

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    If you're petite I think a good pistol brace should work well, I say don't worry about a tax stamp and traditional buttstock anytime soon. Most likely the one you shot had a brace on, most 10.5 AR's are pistols not SBR's. Could ask the person you shot with to make sure if that's possible.

Do you like the look of painted guns? Possible that you could save quite a bit of money by buying a standard good quality black rifle and painting and switching out parts as you please, instead of building from scratch. But if you're dead set on building from scratch go for it.

Top Bottom