• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    If you’re going to go down the armor road, there’s a lot to consider: budget, uses, desired protection level, etc.

As an armor wearer for more than 20 years and wearing a LOT of different iterations, my recommendation for anyone wanting to get started is to get a decent plate carrier and start with level IIIA soft armor, sometimes called “backers,” as they can be used to up the protection level of rifle plates. This configuration will most likely be the most cost effective and most efficient route for a new user. While this configuration only provides protection from pistol rounds, it is also lighter to a new wearer who’s just getting started, making it easier to acclimate, and provides the necessary protection that most “need” (subjective, obviously) and is very easy to upgrade to rifle plates later on.

Plate carriers are also easy to customize and accessorize to a wearer’s needs. Depending on the carrier, different chest rigs can be equipped or MOLLE pouches can be directly attached.

Using a PC versus a contoured vest like a NIJ police vest or similar does result in less coverage, but they also cost less and are more easily customized. There are some manufacturers that do make larger contoured armor panels and carriers, and many are in use in the military, LE, and the like.

Just remember that like everything else, you get what you pay for. Soft armor panels/backers can be had for $100-$150 each these days, maybe even less on sale. A good quality entry-level plate carrier is about the same range. Keeping an eye in the classifieds here and websites like Tacswap.com and social media rooms on FB and Reddit can provide some good deals as well. And don’t forget eBay, there’s a treasure trove there.

I’d recommend to stay away from older Condor, Fox Tactical, NcStar and the other Chinese junk, although the new laser cut MOLLE PCs from Condor have turned out to be fairly decent, especially for those on a budget and limited use. Brands like Velocity, Ferro Concepts, Crye, Eagle, Tactical Tailor, HSGI, and Spiritus Systems are the tops dogs, with a few others mixed in.

When it comes to plate carriers, this will help answer questions about methodology and proper wear:

A couple of good deals for entry-level users:

(Note: While Onetigris is considered an airsoft manufacturer, I’ve had both a PC and chest rig from Onetigris and they are pretty good quality, especially for a new/budget user. I wouldn’t recommend it if I wouldn’t wear it on duty.)

Please feel free to share your desired use/specs and ask any other questions and I’ll be happy to help get you into something.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Oh, ALSO: Friends do NOT let friends buy steel plates! They are heavy, dangerous and not cost effective with the prices of good carriers and even composite rifle plates these days, let alone soft armor panels.

I won’t fault someone for buying a steel plate kit within their budget, but you’ll be glad you didn’t in the long run. There’s a reason why they’re so cheap, armored professionals don’t use them, and why so many setups are for sale on FB, Craigslist, etc.!

Steel is for targets downrange.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    JSX, you mentioned soft armor upping the protection level of rifle plates. Do you have any opinions on how this works? I have read mixed opinions/reviews. For instance level 3 or lighter 3a plates are relatively cheap and plentiful right now. What would be the estimated result if a person used these in conjunction with a soft panel?

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Soft armor will help mitigate back face deformation. I have 3a armor in my plate carrier and the plates are lvl 3 ICW plates. ICW means IN conjunction with. They are designed to use with soft armor. This allows the plates to generally be thinner and lighter versus stand alone plates of the same level.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Soft armor will help mitigate back face deformation. I have 3a armor in my plate carrier and the plates are lvl 3 ICW plates. ICW means IN conjunction with. They are designed to use with soft armor. This allows the plates to generally be thinner and lighter versus stand alone plates of the same level.
    Yep, this covers it.

Armor is one of those things that takes quite a bit of research and time to learn it’s intricacies. Steel, ceramic, composite, HDPE, Kevlar, dyneema, swimmer cut, shooter cut, SAPI, ESAPI, ICW, levels III, IIIA, and IV, NIJ standards, back face deformation, spalling.....

There’s a LOT to cover out there.

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    jsx1043 hinted on this - but don't forget the convoluted world of, NIJ Certified and "tested" to NIJ Certifications.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Both pretty reasonably priced when you actually add everything up. The 1155s are excessively heavy, but do offer legit Level IV protection and there is a multicurve option that makes them a little more comfortable. The carrier is very solid and uses a modern style placard system. Both molle and slick elastic cumberbunds available, and the quick releases are nice. Rear can be slick or molle.

My only complaint about the MEPC so far is that the shoulder straps are a little close together and crowd my massive beefcake neck. So I have to wear something with a collar and can't run nice cushy aftermarket shoulder pads.

Top Bottom