Pistol with AK like reliability and tolerance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -snip-
    Use case: Your daughter is not a gun person. She has a gun that she never shoots, cleans or oils.

But you want her tsomething that will always work, rarely jam, no matter what.

I would recommend some type of double action revolver.
    It's the most reliable handgun for a non-gun person to be able to operate under stress.

I've found that people who aren't gun people sometimes are confused by a semi-auto pistol.
    Plus some non gun people have trouble racking the slide if they don't have sufficient hand strength.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I was able to hold a Sig P320 today. It was wider than I realized. It felt good, but I didn’t get a feeling that I really needed one.

So that brings me back to the P365. But since I have a Glock 43 and a Shield, I can’t really come up with a good enough excuse to spend the money.

Im sure that could change once I’m able to hold one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I was able to hold a Sig P320 today. It was wider than I realized. It felt good, but I didn’t get a feeling that I really needed one.

So that brings me back to the P365. But since I have a Glock 43 and a Shield, I can’t really come up with a good enough excuse to spend the money.

See if you can try someone's who has. Wilson Combat grip module, there are also various width OEM modules. Also, if you hold a 365 make sure you try it with a 12 round mag as well as the standard 10 round.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -snip-

A P365 with a 12 round magazine fits my hand perfectly, and makes a great pocket pistol.
    It's right at the same size and weight of a S&W 9mm Shield

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A P365 with a 12 round magazine fits my hand perfectly, and makes a great pocket pistol.
    It's right at the same size and weight of a S&W 9mm Shield
    A Shield 45 with the 7rd mag just has enough grip for my hand. The CZ P10 F that with the 19rd mag fits my hand perfectly. Even my new RIA Rock Ultra FS 10mm is a little small in the grip department. But I'll manage may have to get thicker grips for it.

It's amazing how everyone is different and it takes different sizes handguns to fit different hands.

Best thing is to get a firearm that gives you full grip that isn't to long or to short in the grip department. And feels good and aims good for you.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    :bash::lmfao:I knew from the title this would be somewhat of a $+i t show. INGO is always entertaining and bubbling with opinions on this topic.
    Glock would be my suggestion, depending on the size of her hands and sensitivity to recoil. 43X, 48, 42, probably the best bets for a lady because of the size of the pistol. I consider a G19 the best "fit all" but that is a personal preference and probably not the answer for a lady. A S&W Shield (not EZ) or the 365 would also be a good choice if it fits her hand. Most important, safety training and proper grip will keep her safe and the gun running when she needs it.

Last edited:

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    :bash::lmfao:I knew from the title this would be somewhat of a $+i t show. INGO is always entertaining and bubbling with opinions on this topic.
    Glock would be my suggestion, depending on the size of her hands and sensitivity to recoil. 43X, 48, 42, probably the best bets for a lady because of the size of the pistol. I consider a G19 the best "fit all" but that is a personal preference and probably not the answer for a lady. A S&W Shield (not EZ) or the 365 would also be a good choice if it fits her hand. Most important, safety training and proper grip will keep her safe and the gun running when she needs it.
    If she doesn’t want to carry it and it’s only for home, I would 100% recommend a 17 or 19 over the 43 or 42. I pretty much have hands the size of a midget and can shoot both my 19 and 34 without issue.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A Shield 45 with the 7rd mag just has enough grip for my hand. The CZ P10 F that with the 19rd mag fits my hand perfectly. Even my new RIA Rock Ultra FS 10mm is a little small in the grip department. But I'll manage may have to get thicker grips for it.

It's amazing how everyone is different and it takes different sizes handguns to fit different hands.

Best thing is to get a firearm that gives you full grip that isn't to long or to short in the grip department. And feels good and aims good for you.

To be more accurate, I should have said , (but the new site won't allow me to edit my post) was
    "A P365 with a 12 round magazine fits my hand perfectly, and makes a great pocket pistol.
    It's right at the same size and weight of a S&W 9mm Shield with the 8 round magazine".

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just an aside, Glock triggers are much better than any revolver, shorter stroke and lighter. Also easy to improve if the factory setup doesn't suit you.
    Learning to shoot a revolver accurately without investing a lot of trigger time ranges from difficult to near impossible. Ditto a 380 bodyguard or Ruger LCP. I have had more students in basic classes in the last several years than I care to count and that has been my experience.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I so often feel in the minority with my views. Rather than fret about what gun, I would focus on training and regular practice. If the individual is "not a gun person" and "never shoots" it doesn't matter what gun the individual has. Unless the person is willing and committed to training and regular practice perhaps some other form of protection and self defense would be better. In other words, being a non-gun person who never shoots is incompatible with being a responsible gun owner, IMHO.

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI

Carried a shield for 3 years, loved it. Shot a P365, sold the shield the same day and have carried the Sig ever since

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I loved my shield. The only thing that I didnt like was the capacity, but it was easy to shoot and easy to carry. I replaced it with a P-10S, which I love.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO
    Glock,Sig,S&W,CZ,and Beretta.

Pick your poison I say nothing smaller than a shield or P365. If a person male or female cannot compete a realistic course of fire with the handgun it sucks.
    Subcompact guns are for backup not primary.

Top Bottom