Pistol with AK like reliability and tolerance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Notwithstanding the trigger of a Glock being worse than a revolver, you still have the inherent accuracy issues of a 2 inch snubby. For someone who "never shoots," I still don't see a snubby being a solid choice as a SD weapon. Unless you're talking about a 1-3 yard engagement.

I'm also not conceding the point that a revolver trigger is better than a Glock factory trigger. I own and shoot both. You can't tell me with a straight face a double action pull is easier than a Glock factory. I'm not saying Glock factory triggers are good, I'm just saying they are better than DA revolvers.

I learned to shoot with a Glock 27. Snappy recoil, factory trigger, terrible grip, etc. It took me years to get "OK" with it. I wouldn't call myself proficient by any stretch. It's just not likely someone who never shoots is going to do well with any pistol, IMO.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Notwithstanding the trigger of a Glock being worse than a revolver, you still have the inherent accuracy issues of a 2 inch snubby. For someone who "never shoots," I still don't see a snubby being a solid choice as a SD weapon. Unless you're talking about a 1-3 yard engagement.

I'm also not conceding the point that a revolver trigger is better than a Glock factory trigger. I own and shoot both. You can't tell me with a straight face a double action pull is easier than a Glock factory. I'm not saying Glock factory triggers are good, I'm just saying they are better than DA revolvers.

I learned to shoot with a Glock 27. Snappy recoil, factory trigger, terrible grip, etc. It took me years to get "OK" with it. I wouldn't call myself proficient by any stretch. It's just not likely someone who never shoots is going to do well with any pistol, IMO.
    Ruger LCR great double action trigger. I'd get a 3" barrel they are available.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ruger LCR great double action trigger. I'd get a 3" barrel they are available.
    I have owned one of these. It is too easy to short stroke the trigger on the LCR, which advances the cylinder but does not fire the next round. As one is likely to be firing quickly in a defensive situation, the possibility of this type of failure makes this gun a no-go for defensive use, IMO. Great trigger for a target pistol, but that's not exactly the intended purpose of a lightweight snub. Other common snubs do not suffer from this problem.

Last edited:

TommyD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Draco NAK 9 Ak Pistol

Built like an AK, uses Glock 9mm Magazines but might be a little heavy and cumbersome for a lady.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    We will have to agree to disagree on this issue. Imo Glock factory triggers are horrible. That's why there are so many cheap and much better aftermarket triggers available.

Canik will preform as well as a glock they just haven't got their name out yet. Better trigger better grip angle better ergonomics. Just a better pistol. Aftermarket parts not as strong as a Glock but let's see Glocks have been around since the 1980's Give canik a few more years it will be there as well.

His Glock 17 was customized so add $$$ more to total cost of his G17
    I’m not a Glock Fanboy. But the reason for the replacement triggers is because it’s not the trigger some people want =preference. Many people are fine with the stick trigger = not horrible. Your “factual” complaints seem to be more so “personal preference” complaints. I prefer to run the p320 series. Personal preference. I don’t like canik, “yet”. I need to spend more time with them.

OP. perhaps the best answer would be to find what personal preference she likes , then work on finding a top line manufacturer to align with. Glock,sig,M&p, etc.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I heard at the gun shop this morning that it is some Turkish pistol apparently...
    The Canik? Yeah, it's basically a Turkish clone of a Walther P99. The Canik has better ergonomics, though, IMO.

Canik is a good choice if one doesn't mind where it is manufactured.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Good to know. For some reason, I really want to venture out of my comfort zone and get a Sig. I have had my eyes on the 320 and 365.
    I made that jump into both. Really like the modularity of both, including after market grip modules etc. The flexibility of the platforms is pretty amazing.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I would say Glock, but could you get her to do some basic cleaning and oiling once in a blue moon? A tiny bit of care on a gun will go a long way. It doesn't take more than a couple minutes to clean and oil a Glock and is a good thing to know how to do.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Another vote for Glock here with the caveat to find the one that fits right. I started with a G22, G23 then a G27. I can shoot both the 22 and 23 extremely well, but the small finger grooves on the 27 prevent me from getting a good grip on the thing. I get 2 maybe 3 shots off and I have to re-grip the thing otherwise I limp wrist it and it jams. Also, from what I understand, the .40 has a bunch more snap then the 9mm so that can be an issue to keep in mind.

As far as cleaning and oiling the thing, there are many articles, videos, and other testimonials as to how many rounds and how much dirt can accumulate and Glock's still work. You will find some that have problems, but many, many more with no issues.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If you had to only pick one, which would it be?

I've had the P320 and consider it kind of "meh." I'm sure it's fine, since the military has (hopefully) vetted the pistol as a reliable platform. The bore axis is too high for my liking, it's a bit flippier to shoot than a Glock, CZ P10c or M&P. The polymer frame doesn't seem to be as rugged as a Glock or M&P, either.

I don't really see a use for the modularity aspect for my uses for a compact/full size pistol. I'd rather have a compact pistol and a full size pistol of the same platform, rather than just a couple of swappable grip modules. The caliber x-change kits are too expensive and irrelevant anyway, since 9mm is all the rage, with 40 and (especially) 357 Sig fading fast.

Now the P365 is a different story. I have two of these, and they will not be for sale. Excellent ergonomics, very shootable and the capacity/size ratio is unmatched by anything else out there except maybe the Springfield Armory Hellcat. And having owned both, the Hellcat just does not match the shootability or ergonomics of the P365. The modularity IS useful for me in this platform, as I have swapped the pinky-dangler 10 round grip frame for the fuller grip of the 12 round XL frame. The bore axis/slide height is not obnoxiously high like the P320.

If Sig would release a compact and duty size pistol with the same ergonomics and bore axis as the P365, my Glocks and M&Ps might be in trouble.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you had to only pick one, which would it be?
    That would be interesting. The 365 gets the most carry time, so it likely would be the lone pick, especially with the capability to drop an XL module on it and easily go to 15 rounds if one wanted to (one can do that without a grip module change, but the XL module is nice on a standard 365 slide), but I do like the 320 very much. It would be a hard choice.

I've had the P320 and consider it kind of "meh." I'm sure it's fine, since the military has (hopefully) vetted the pistol as a reliable platform. The bore axis is too high for my liking, it's a bit flippier to shoot than a Glock, CZ P10c or M&P. The polymer frame doesn't seem to be as rugged as a Glock or M&P, either.

I don't really see a use for the modularity aspect for my uses for a compact/full size pistol. I'd rather have a compact pistol and a full size pistol of the same platform, rather than just a couple of swappable grip modules. The caliber x-change kits are too expensive and irrelevant anyway, since 9mm is all the rage, with 40 and (especially) 357 Sig fading fast.

Now the P365 is a different story. I have two of these, and they will not be for sale. Excellent ergonomics, very shootable and the capacity/size ratio is unmatched by anything else out there except maybe the Springfield Armory Hellcat. And having owned both, the Hellcat just does not match the shootability or ergonomics of the P365. The modularity IS useful for me in this platform, as I have swapped the pinky-dangler 10 round grip frame for the fuller grip of the 12 round XL frame. The bore axis/slide height is not obnoxiously high like the P320.

If Sig would release a compact and duty size pistol with the same ergonomics and bore axis as the P365, my Glocks and M&Ps might be in trouble.

The main thing about the modularity on the 320 is being able to not only pick size, but after market grip modules such as the Wilson Combat modules or different thicknesses of OEM, etc. I don't foresee swapping back and forth on a regular (but then I don't swap my phone cases every other day either, some folks do). Being able to dial in what I am interested in and also different textures, etc without having to permanently alter the "firearm" is the use case for me. Also, to be able to take a 3.6", 3.9", whatever size slide you want to and combine it with the grip module size, aftermarket, texture, etc offerings you want is the beauty behind the modularity.

I agree with you on the 365.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    How do the Sig offerings compare to Glock in reliability? Namely the P320 and P365.
    I cannot speak of the p365. BUT, my M17, m18 and p320’s are perfect. No jams to date and over 5k through the mix. Easy to use, clean, and highly modifiable. Ding and botch a frame? 55$ and your back in the fight. The 21rd mags are amazing. I also have the FCU x01 for backpack and it all works wonderfully together as a system.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    That would be interesting. The 365 gets the most carry time, so it likely would be the lone pick, especially with the capability to drop an XL module on it and easily go to 15 rounds if one wanted to (one can do that without a grip module change, but the XL module is nice on a standard 365 slide), but I do like the 320 very much. It would be a hard choice.

The main thing about the modularity on the 320 is being able to not only pick size, but after market grip modules such as the Wilson Combat modules or different thicknesses of OEM, etc. I don't foresee swapping back and forth on a regular (but then I don't swap my phone cases every other day either, some folks do). Being able to dial in what I am interested in and also different textures, etc without having to permanently alter the "firearm" is the use case for me. Also, to be able to take a 3.6", 3.9", whatever size slide you want to and combine it with the grip module size, aftermarket, texture, etc offerings you want is the beauty behind the modularity.

I agree with you on the 365.
    I JUST added the Wilson combat cmt-320 frame. SIMLPLY AMAZING! I love it.

Top Bottom