Pistol with AK like reliability and tolerance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    So AK47s are more reliable without all the oil and cleaning necessary compared to the AR platform.

Higher tolerances, parts not fitting so close together, etc from what I understand.

Are there pistols made like this?

Use case: Your daughter is not a gun person. She has a gun that she never shoots, cleans or oils.

But you want her tsomething that will always work, rarely jam, no matter what.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was already beaten to it, but a Glock is the AK of handguns. There's three button, slide lock/release, magazine release, and trigger. Only reason that might not fit the bill would be if she'd prefer a manual thumb safety, and if so then any S&W M&P with one would be 99.99% as good.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I guy brought me his brand new Glock because it FTF about every ten shots or so.

I told him to wrap a $100 bill around it and throw it in a ditch, I think he is going to send it back to the manufacturer...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Did anyone mention an AK pistol? My guess is they would be similar in reliability to an AK carbine.

Just buy a Glock.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ive got a cheapo Taurus Model 44 its over 28 years old. Stainless 6.5" barrel. Has over 2k rounds of full 44 magnum through it. Accurate and reliable in heat, cold rain and snow. Even a well built cheap revolver like mine would be my pick if I could not oil it and had to worry about rust and the elements.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Revolvers are fun, but difficult to shoot for beginners who "never shoot." ...

...I'd probably lean toward a glock 19

This right here ^^^.

The long heavy double action trigger pull of a revolver is difficult at best for non seasoned shooters. Forget about reasonable accuracy, with that trigger pull struggle.

A lot of folks fool themselves with revolvers because they shoot pretty well single action. Not a workable way for a self defense handgun.

G19 is the way to go. Most popular gun in the world.

She can specialize after learning to run this gun. And if she never does, it'll still go bang.

Buy her a holster, belt and mag carrier, whether she will ever use it or not. The same with eye and earpro.

Buy the girl a Valentine's Day gift certificate for a private training session with Vert.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I guy brought me his brand new Glock because it FTF about every ten shots or so.

I told him to wrap a $100 bill around it and throw it in a ditch, I think he is going to send it back to the manufacturer...
    jan.gif

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This right here ^^^.

The long heavy double action trigger pull of a revolver is difficult at best for non seasoned shooters. Forget about reasonable accuracy, with that trigger pull struggle.

A lot of folks fool themselves with revolvers because they shoot pretty well single action. Not a workable way for a self defense handgun.

G19 is the way to go. Most popular gun in the world.

She can specialize after learning to run this gun. And if she never does, it'll still go bang.

Buy her a holster, belt and mag carrier, whether she will ever use it or not. The same with eye and earpro.

Buy the girl a Valentine's Day gift certificate for a private training session with Vert.
    Thats why you get a trigger job done on it. All Glocks need replaced triggers because they are horrible factory. No difference with revolvers. Except for the new Ruger LCR. They have very good triggers from factory. They are also weather resistant.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

My nephew bought a new Glock 22 that had that issue. He traded it off for a Springfield 1911 45acp which he carries.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I would suggest that learning trigger control on a DA revolver is a valuable skill, which will make you a better shooter overall, regardless of your experience level. If you can master a long12lb revolver trigger, a short 5-7lb Glock trigger is a piece of cake.

Revolvers lend themselves well to the ball and dummy drill...except you don't need dummies. Drop a few rounds in randomly, leaving several chambers empty, spin the cylinder without looking, and close it. That'll show you your flinch right quick, and you don't even have to go hunting for your dummy rounds on the ground when you're done like you would with a semi-auto.

Revolvers are pretty darn reliable, but they aren't perfect. They can get out of time, hands can break off, forcing cones can crack...and these aren't things that the average gun owner is going to be able to fix without assistance from a qualified gunsmith.

If you're looking for the best handgun counterpart to an AK, I've gotta agree it's the Glock. After all, AKs are mag-fed...that alone disqualifies the revolver. I can't think of any other handgun as cheap and utilitarian that will hold up to heavy use with minimal maintenance like the AK. Also, they're incredibly simple to use, with basic controls, and a simple set of user-serviceable components.They're not the most refined or precise options out there, but both are good enough in that department while at the same time being as solid as a rock.

When I'm going on an extended trip somewhere that I know I'm going to be out in the elements, and I can only take one gun, it's usually my Glock 26. It's not my favorite gun, but I'm 100% confident that it will work no matter what I put it through, and it has earned my confidence through years of real world experience.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No they don't, and no they aren't.

Lots of people trying to solve software problems by replacing hardware. Maybe they should just learn to shoot.
    We will have to agree to disagree on this issue. Imo Glock factory triggers are horrible. That's why there are so many cheap and much better aftermarket triggers available.

Canik will preform as well as a glock they just haven't got their name out yet. Better trigger better grip angle better ergonomics. Just a better pistol. Aftermarket parts not as strong as a Glock but let's see Glocks have been around since the 1980's Give canik a few more years it will be there as well.

His Glock 17 was customized so add $$$ more to total cost of his G17

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Beat me to it. This is the only time I ever see this happen with Glocks. They get a bad rep for "perfection" while we all sink in hundreds of dollars into them, but it's just too make it our own. If I could only own 1 pistol the rest of my life it would be a Glock 19.
    That and when folks go replacing a bunch of OEM parts with non tested non OEM parts.

Top Bottom