• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    As my rabbits start getting up there in numbers. I would like to stop doing cervical dislocation. Simply for the appearance of the neck. What I am hoping is the INGO wisdom can help direct me to a reasonable air pistol to use for dispatch. I want something consistent - No CO2. A pistol va rifle for ease of use while handling the subject.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I used to have a Benjamin air pistol that could be cocked multiple times to build up some decent air pressure. It was a .22 pellet. It would do what your suggesting.

Fun little pistol...Kind of miss it

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    A Daisy 717 is a single pump handgun that shoots a 177 pellet about 350 fps. Find a used one for about $50. At that slow speed, I'm guessing shot placement is critical.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd drown them. It's quick and clean. Sounds terrible, but it isn't. They expire fast.

Put rabbit in small cage, then drop in water tank. Walk away for a few minutes.

Also, way more ethical than chasing wounded bunnies around a cage after the first less than perfect shot.

Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    How about controlling how many Rabbits are born? Why have Rabbits just to shoot them in the head???
    Or drown them..a life is a life. I hope you at less eat them. JMHO

dprimm

Master
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Grandpa did rabbits, he had an old saw horse grabbed the rabbits by the back legs and head slammed them into the saw horse.

I am wanting to avoid bruising the meat. The appearance is important when you sell it.

I have done what your grandpa did - except used concrete. Also popped their neck w a broomstick. But there is bruising I want to avoid. Besides this is an excuse to buy a gun.

Top Bottom