• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    This video has given me a lot of insight into red dots and shooting in general.

Not really related to anything, but the gentleman in the video that claps at the beginning talks like and has the exact same mannerisms as one of my coworkers. They also have the same build. It's uncanny. I'm going to have to stop laughing about it before I can watch the rest of the video.

Carry on.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    I haven't decided. I have multiple pistols with optics, multiple pistols without. I'm still not good enough with the dots to acquire them faster than I acquire irons, though I imagine once you pass that training point it becomes better. Just a training issue

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have one and love it. It is my primary pistol that I shoot. I have a dot on it. Had the slide milled by DP Custom Works a few years ago. Recently added the Apex Forward Set Trigger to it.

I will continue to shoot it unless 9 mm gets too pricey for me. I recently bought a Taurus TX22 Competition so I can start shooting more .22. I actually took the dot (RMR) off the Compact and put it on the TX and put an SRO on the Compact.

Then last week I picked up a refurb Vortex Viper for $106. I'm thinking I may swap that out for the RMR that's on the TX and use the RMR on something else. Though I really don't have anything right now unless I want to run a dot on my 1911.

Someone stop me!;)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’ve carried a full size m&p9 for 10+ years now, the original and then a 2.0. The size difference on the 4” compact seems so minuscule, but it conceals so much better. Allen M milled the slide and cut the new dovetail, but I actually ordered the sight set from DP Custom Works.

I have an Apex AEK trigger in my full size, and one on the way for the compact.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’ve carried a full size m&p9 for 10+ years now, the original and then a 2.0. The size difference on the 4” compact seems so minuscule, but it conceals so much better. Allen M milled the slide and cut the new dovetail, but I actually ordered the sight set from DP Custom Works.

I have an Apex AEK trigger in my full size, and one on the way for the compact.
    That's interesting that Allen milled it for you. At the time I asked him, he said he couldn't do it. He must have gotten the necessary fixtures/tools necessary.

I don't carry my Compact as it is still a little large for me, so I have a Shield. I originally purchased it for EDC. Just didn't work out for me.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That's interesting that Allen milled it for you. At the time I asked him, he said he couldn't do it. He must have gotten the necessary fixtures/tools necessary.

I don't carry my Compact as it is still a little large for me, so I have a Shield. I originally purchased it for EDC. Just didn't work out for me.
    I think I actually bought him the dovetail cutter.
    :D

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Ok, this is cheating.

I've found my groups to be very good, but speed is a little slow as I'm still used to focusing on the front sight (even though I can't actually focus on it anymore). I'm good at target focus for the first few drills, but I still revert back to front sight focus after that. It's weird how I'll find myself drawing and actually trying to focus on the dot. I'll notice it and then consciously revert back to focusing on the target.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    There are some good black Friday deals on the Holosun 509T, but I'm still not sold on the brand. I go back and forth on the 509 and waiting for an Acro P-2 to become available and can't really decide which way to go. The 509 would be a little easier to conceal, but the Aimpoint is... an Aimpoint.

5point9

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    Noblesville
    This is a long thread.. so I didn't read through all 16 pages. However, I've thought about optics as well but have my own opinion on them. I think they look really cool and are certainly the new fad. I have no doubt that they work. I watch a lot of self protection videos that involve active shooters or gun fire for that matter. In almost all instances the amount of time you have to draw and aim is a split second. Very seldom do a see a video where the persons involved have time to use sights. You are basically doing the whole belly gun thing. So with that said, I believe that optics are not necessary for EDC and in fact just add additional weight and discomfort to EDC. But that's my opinion and everyone is free to do whatever they feel is best or makes them comfortable.
    Now for competition shooting, rifles, maybe even home protection where you may have some additional time to use the sights I think that's a whole different story.
    Either way there is no right or wrong. That's why the market gives us options!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    This is a long thread.. so I didn't read through all 16 pages. However, I've thought about optics as well but have my own opinion on them. I think they look really cool and are certainly the new fad. I have no doubt that they work. I watch a lot of self protection videos that involve active shooters or gun fire for that matter. In almost all instances the amount of time you have to draw and aim is a split second. Very seldom do a see a video where the persons involved have time to use sights. You are basically doing the whole belly gun thing. So with that said, I believe that optics are not necessary for EDC and in fact just add additional weight and discomfort to EDC. But that's my opinion and everyone is free to do whatever they feel is best or makes them comfortable.
    Now for competition shooting, rifles, maybe even home protection where you may have some additional time to use the sights I think that's a whole different story.
    Either way there is no right or wrong. That's why the market gives us options!
    Pfffftt 16 pages? That’s like one bathroom break.
    Also, Welcome, even if your opinion is wrong.

Christow19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2017
    Greencastle
    Are YOU buying Optics-ready pistols now?

I'm in the market for a Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 pistol, or I should say I will be when/if prices come down and supply normalizes.

I like the original 2.0 configuration. No-snag low-set sights, no optics cut atop the slide, and the hinged trigger.
    View attachment 217338

I don't like the new optics-ready version with "suppressor-height" sights, and am wary of the new flat trigger. I don't like the looks of the the additional front-of-slide serrations either, or the way S&W seems to have emphasised/sharpened the diagonal transition line at the muzzle, from top of the slide down to the bottom edge. The original slide is smoother / more rounded. Compare the two pics to see what I mean.
    View attachment 217339

I see the clear advantage of red dot sights on pistols. Frankly, people having no pistol experience "can't miss" after just 5 practice shots. So it's a game changer, but I'm not sure I want it. I almost never get to shoot these days so my skills are rusty, but I know how to shoot and in the heat of the moment instinctive point shooting is pretty much what happens. I may want to install a red dot in the future, but not now.

I don't see any standard-height replacement sights available (yet) for the new, tall "suppressor-height" sights. And I don't want to spend another $50 to $100 to replace those "new" sights, which make the optics-ready pistol more expensive in the first place.

On the other hand, if I can find the original-version pistol, I can mount a red dot sight on it later via a mounting plate that engages the rear sight dovetail. Of course, that means I lose the rear iron sight... I don't like that, either.

So what are you guys doing?
    Just don’t want to trust my life in a self defense scenario to something that may fault, but on that note anything could malfunction so it is preference

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    im getting into the pistol optic for the first time now. looking forward to it.

It won't be on CCW just plinking/target fun gun. I recently purchased the fn502 which is an optic ready .22lr pistol. I am waiting on rmr (Black Friday purchase) to put on it.

Top Bottom