• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Just sat through an hour long presentation by the ATF regarding the Pistol Brace (ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F) Situation. The following is a list of notes directly from the ATF regarding confusing issues surrounding the new law.

Very important: As of yesterday, January 31, 2023, it is illegal to sell, trade or otherwise transfer a pistol with a brace installed to either an individual or a dealer. It is considered an unlicensed NFA transfer.

- The Tax Forbearance period will run from Jan 31, 2023 through May 31, 2023. They are not considering it an amnesty.

- Pistol braces are not considered NFA items, only the firearm it is attached to. Pistol braces are considered parts. Constructive possession is very real in this situation. It will be constructive possession if the two items (pistol w/ brace removed) and brace are sold in the same transaction.

- There is NO NFA EXCEPTION for disabled veterans, citizens or anyone else for use of a braced pistol as of Jan 31, 2023.

- All forms submitted before May 31, 2023 will be processed. The ATF will consider a copy of your "submitted" form as proof of registration until your form is approved. You will be in compliance if you are in possession of that form.

- Tac 14 / Shockwave shotguns are not permitted to be registered tax free.

- Once the stamp is approved, any stock device can be used on the registered SBR. Vertical grips may also be installed. (Yes, they said approved, not submitted.)

- Existing markings may be used. You do not need to engrave your firearm.

- Receivers will not be able to be registered tax-free. The new law only applies to items that are legally pistols.

- Standard Form 1 and Form 4 processing is NOT being slowed by these submissions. There is a different team working on the brace Form 1 paperwork, and there is a different section of the Efile website.

- When submitting a photo of the firearm, a close up of the information (maker, model, serial) may be used. A full photo of the firearm is not needed (although I would recommend sending one anyway, just in case they get squirrelly.)

- There could be up to 40M submissions. There is no time frame for approval. Again, submitted form is proof of legal ownership.

- People under 21 can register a pistol SBR according to state law. If it's legal to possess in your state, someone under 21 can register it as an SBR.

-Pawned pistols with braces can not be returned in their current format. Discuss this with your pawnbroker.

- If your form 1 is denied for a clerical error, you can resubmit.

- RONIs / parts can not be registered. To clarify, if they were purchased as a kit with a firearm, the firearm would need to be put on a form 1.

- Anyone submitting the form 1 before Jan 31 will not be automatically denied. Legislation was approved on Jan 13th. Any forms submitted after that date are in queue and will be processed normally.

- When in doubt, ask a lawyer.

For clarification of any issues. email Fire_tech@atf.gov.

And finally, I am not a lawyer - This is information that was just conveyed to dealers through the ATF live presentation. I am only recounting the verbal Q/A section.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    What legislation are they referring to that was approved on Jan 13th?
    That was the day they submitted the final rule and opened up the tax forbearance for braced pistols. Law went into effect yesterday but you could submit your form 1s before 01/31/2023 if you wanted to.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That was the day they submitted the final rule and opened up the tax forbearance for braced pistols. Law went into effect yesterday but you could submit your form 1s before 01/31/2023 if you wanted to.
    so not actual legislation, just their opinion of whatever they thought at that time and it doesn't matter that they have said differently for a decade. Calling it "legislation" is not right and should be stopped.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    so not actual legislation, just their opinion of whatever they thought at that time and it doesn't matter that they have said differently for a decade. Calling it "legislation" is not right and should be stopped.
    I get the snark, but I took the time to write this as an informational thread, not as another FK the ATF posting.

This is the NFA section, not the politics section. I get it, I don't agree with it either, and if you don't want to read it, don't. Just stop sh*tting on a factual post. Use the info for how it was intended. Informational.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I get the snark, but I took the time to write this as an informational thread, not as another FK the ATF posting.

This is the NFA section, not the politics section. I get it, I don't agree with it either, and if you don't want to read it, don't. Just stop sh*tting on a factual post. Use the info for how it was intended. Informational.
    THIS. Official in-thread warning. (before it gets out of hand/cluttered)

Considering we have plenty of b***ing and moaning in the main thread, keep it on target here. In this part of the forum its assumed taxation isnt theft and folks are "OK" with the fees and overreach so save your ire for the other thread.

Thanks for the info Asz!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For transparency, I removed some of the OT posts. Nothing personal, just trying to keep it to the relevant info only.

Thanks for playing nice folks.

ETA: if you want to moan and complain do it here:

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What's the crap about Tac14/Shockwave not being able to be registered tax free?
    I thought they were supposed to be exempt from this rule change.

Top Bottom