• ...and so much more!
  • vick1

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2010
    Indiana
    From what I have read the recommendation is to weld a muzzle device on but it also states “not easily removable” Has anyone used alternative method to pinning/ welding a muzzle device to bring their gun to 16”? Blind pin and JB Weld?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If I remember correctly, silver solder used to be acceptable but that was changed. I think the rules are on the ATF's page.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    This was very helpful. I wasn't aware that silver solder was an option. 1100 deg F is a lot cooler than welding temperatures, so that is probably less damaging than pinning and welding. Is the solder applied after the muzzle device is mounted or do you need to coat the threads?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    This was very helpful. I wasn't aware that silver solder was an option. 1100 deg F is a lot cooler than welding temperatures, so that is probably less damaging than pinning and welding. Is the solder applied after the muzzle device is mounted or do you need to coat the threads?
    TiG weld it, very small area affected by the heat.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    Welding is beyond my skillset. From what Hop says, soldering may also be something I don't want to experiment with just yet. I'll check the local gunsmiths and see if anyone will take my project on. Thanks

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    As far as I'm aware, if they want to press the issue, they will ultimately put a cheater bar on the gun and crank it for all its worth hoping and praying it breaks so they can send you to prison.

So what ever you do, insure the rest of the gun will break before that joint will.

Pin and weld is a lot more reversible than other options, and also is unlikely to ever fail that test before either the receiver breaks or the barrel pin fails.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I also went factory pin and weld, so that I wouldn't be in "constructive possession" of an SBR while I was waiting for someone to actually be available to do the pin and weld.

Made me nervous to order the 14.5 upper not done, as I don't own a pistol upper. Even if I intended to pin and weld it. You know how the ATF trolls are..

By ordering it factory pinned and welded, I know its ATF approved and there is no worry factor.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Almost every receiver I've had in the last ten years was built as a pistol first. With pictures.
    I'm kind of an old lady that way.

Edit to add; any pinned and welded flashider will come off with a pipe wrench. It ain't pretty, but I've seen the aftermath.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Edit to add; any pinned and welded flashider will come off with a pipe wrench. It ain't pretty, but I've seen the aftermath.
    Any 16" barrel can be made 10" with an angle grinder or band saw. Nothing is permanent with tools.

That said I have one that was silver soldered. The "gunsmith" was an idiot and didn't chalk it enough or paste it so it's discolored as all hell. Ask for a P/W, but this was "just as good". Few thousand suppressed rounds later and now its carbon caked black.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I drilled mine, pinned, peened, then welded it over with a mig. I didn't have much splatter, and it was easy to clean up without marring the barrel. I would like to cerakote the weld so it stays pretty, and cannot rust, but don't have the kit or experience to do that yet.

Top Bottom