• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Did a search but couldn't find anything on pinning and welding suppressors here.

I have an 11.5" barrel AR with adjustable gas and a Dead Air keymo flash hider.

I'm considering pinning and welding because it would make the legal length of the barrel reach over 16" which would allow a proper buttstock on the gun without needing the additional stamp for an SBR.

Anything in particular to consider? Are some suppressors or attachments better for pinning and welding?

And, any suppressors in particular that you all can recommend? I already have a Dead Air keymo flash hider on the gun, but can easily resell it for close what I paid, so I'm not married to Dead Air.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Another thing to consider. After a pin and weld, can the suppressor be removed somewhat cleanly? Like if there's some kind of issue on that upper and I want to move the suppressor to another. Just spitballing.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Nope and nope .
    Now I may be wrong, **** I may have misread it .
    I b sloow almost like Joe
    A suppressor and SBR will get you a double felony unless it's properly sanctioned through the ATF.
    Don't weld the **** together!
    WaythefktardO

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Pretty sure he wants a legal suppressor on a short barrel but doesn't want to register for a SBR.

Like if you wanted to pin/weld a comp on a shorter than 16" barrel..... except with a suppressor.

I can't help with an answer.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Did a search but couldn't find anything on pinning and welding suppressors here.

I have an 11.5" barrel AR with adjustable gas and a Dead Air keymo flash hider.

I'm considering pinning and welding because it would make the legal length of the barrel reach over 16" which would allow a proper buttstock on the gun without needing the additional stamp for an SBR.

Anything in particular to consider? Are some suppressors or attachments better for pinning and welding?

And, any suppressors in particular that you all can recommend? I already have a Dead Air keymo flash hider on the gun, but can easily resell it for close what I paid, so I'm not married to Dead Air.
    I wouldn’t. For a couple reasons. On the off chance you ever shoot the barrel out you will have to either toss the can or tear it up removing it.

The other problem being more difficulties with maintaining the suppressor since you will be limited to taking it apart from one end only and if it gets frozen in carbon it will be a tough nut to crack.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Nope and nope .
    Now I may be wrong, **** I may have misread it .
    I b sloow almost like Joe
    A suppressor and SBR will get you a double felony unless it's properly sanctioned through the ATF.
    Don't weld the **** together!
    WaythefktardO
    He has a “legal” (read registered with daddy government) suppressor and if he permanently mounted it to a short barrel, as long as the OAL of the barrel with the suppressor can on it is over 16 inches it would no longer be considered an SBR. But you would have to measure with the suppressor disassembled to make sure it was over 16 that way I’d think.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    A suppressor requires the same hassles, tax, bla, bla, as does the SBR, so the very last thing you will want to do is permanently attach the thing to the barrel, just to avoid doing it for an SBR stamp too. Anything goes wrong with either the barrel, or the can... you're screwed.
    If you can go through it once... you can do it again.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I can't help either but I think you need to clean suppressors.
    Although I've never owned a suppressor I've read/heard that rifle suppressors don't need cleaning very often at all because the gasses are so hot that they "self clean". Eventually caked carbon may be an issue but I don't think I can even afford to shoot that much 5.56?...

Pistol and 22lr cans on the other hand will need more cleaning, supposedly.

Of course that was the point of this thread, to get some clarity because I know very little about suppressors. So if i'm wrong I hope someone will let me know. Lol

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Although I've never owned a suppressor I've read/heard that rifle suppressors don't need cleaning very often at all because the gasses are so hot that they "self clean". Eventually caked carbon may be an issue but I don't think I can even afford to shoot that much 5.56?...

Pistol and 22lr cans on the other hand will need more cleaning, supposedly.

Of course that was the point of this thread, to get some clarity because I know very little about suppressors. So if i'm wrong I hope someone will let me know. Lol
    I wouldn't do for the reasons mentioned above pertaining to barrel needing replaced or if you have a round inadvertently take out some of your stack. Can you take it to a smith and get it removed? Yes, but what PITA that'll be. What suppressor are you considering doing this with? Is it a DT or you gonna weld the mount inside the can and then pin/weld it? If the can is a DT model then you're gonna have issues over time with that short barrel's gases and unburnt powder cutting into your blast baffle. Short barrels are known for that.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    A suppressor requires the same hassles, tax, bla, bla, as does the SBR, so the very last thing you will want to do is permanently attach the thing to the barrel, just to avoid doing it for an SBR stamp too. Anything goes wrong with either the barrel, or the can... you're screwed.
    A suppressor requires less hassle if you want to cross state lines. You need a letter of approval allowing you to do so with a SBR.

So it isn't the same on all hassles.

Griffin makes a suppressor called the Spartan 3 that was designed to be pinned and welded to bring a SBR to 16" OAL - but I don't know the barrel length off the top of my head. Look into that can if you want. I considered it for my first can but decided against the idea personally. For now at least. I'll probably do this some day.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This is my thinking too.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    This is something I've also been thinking of. I have a DT suppressor, and it's a pain trying to move it around to different hosts. SO I have been thinking of dedicating it to one host upper. It would have to be a shorter barrel upper - 11.5 or 12. I've heard that the life of a suppressor is about that of a decent barrel so that should be a wash. Potential issues with gassing and the need to tweak the gas block are what's holding me back

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    This is something I've also been thinking of. I have a DT suppressor, and it's a pain trying to move it around to different hosts. SO I have been thinking of dedicating it to one host upper. It would have to be a shorter barrel upper - 11.5 or 12. I've heard that the life of a suppressor is about that of a decent barrel so that should be a wash. Potential issues with gassing and the need to tweak the gas block are what's holding me back
    You can get an adjustable gas key for your BCG instead?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There is a company than makes a barrel that's about 11" but has a welded on "shroud" that makes it legal length. The suppressor fits inside it, keeping the overall length short without an SBR stamp. I can't seem to find it right now, but I will look for it a little bit later.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok. I found it. It's an entire upper made by BMS.

Screenshot_20220912-012506.png
    But the concept could be duplicated pretty easy. 11.5" barrel plus a 5.5" permanently attached shroud equals a 16" barrel.

Top Bottom