• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Bought me a Tacoma, what would be your choice of protecting the frame and under carriage, and who's doing it right around Indy?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Doesn’t work as it will be worse in the long run. Find a Krown dealer and have it sprayed annually and it will look new for life.
    My experience with ziebart has been good. Never heard of Krown and yearly treatment at what cost?
    View attachment 164657
    Truck I ordered in July just showed up at the dealer. I'm curious if rustproofing is worth the money?
    How long do you expect to keep the truck?

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I used Ziebart on my old Yukon. I forgot to take it back for its yearly touch up and she began to rust. To be honest, once the rust proof started pealing I was surprised how much rust was under the rust proof.

Ever since I have been using Krown. Very happy with their product.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Buy some Fluid Film and do it yourself for a lot less or if you're inclined to not care for the smell of large farm animals use Woolwax Undercoating instead.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I've been thinking about this lately as well. Just picked up a super clean used truck and I want to keep it looking new.

2014 one-owner and I can tell its been loved. Want to keep it looking that way.

I was looking into zeibart but will have to look into krown now too.

zjut06k4fbu71.jpg

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Buy fluid film spray it down yourself. How long are you planning on keeping the Taco?
    I tend to get them up to 200k miles, 21k right now. It's a double cab Offroad premium, with a 6 speed manual gear box. Not rare but kinda hard to find trim level.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I had Ziebart do my 2012 Ford as soon as I bought it. I was a little frustrated that they drilled holes in the doors, etc. (Yes they cover them with plastic plugs) but have still taken it in annually for retreatment. In addition to Ziebart I run it through the car wash frequently, especially after a snow to get the salt off. After 9 years I have a single very small paint bubble above the rear tire. Can't say if my results are due to Ziebart, the car washing, a combination, or I'm just lucky! I did not have my wife's 2017 car treated...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    3M has a spray bomb of undercoating that I used on my '72 Cutlass convertible in '81 and it is still like new underneath. I had a new exhaust put on it about 5 years ago and the mechanic couldn't believe it.

It leaves a stippled surface that will look new again with a simple washing.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Only 1 Krown in Indiana, NE Ft. Wayne, closest to Indy is in W. Ohio.

The Krown up here is in the small town of Grabill and run by a Amish family. They have a four post lift in the barn and you just hang out while they do your car. They are very thorough and they drench the underside of the vehicle, it will drip for days. They spray inside all the doors and in the rockers too.

I believe my Excursion is $120.00 and they throw in a huge can of the Krown to touch up between appointments if needed.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Buy a Ford..........
    Dana Corp no longer makes truck frames for Toyota after the 2011 settlement.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/dana-corp-ordered-pay-toyota-25m-frame-rust-issues

Dana is best-known for their rear differentials and axle assemblies but for the 1995-2000 Toyota Tacoma, Dana provided the frame that was found to rust excessively, causing Toyota to issue a recall on 110,000 pickups built during those six model years. This recall affected mostly those who lived in areas with harsh winters and the rust problem was accelerated by the use of road salt.

Toyota was Dana Corp’s second largest customer in 2009, with 6% of their business coming from the Japanese automaker; second only to the 20% of business that Ford Motor Company provides. This $25 million payment will be charged against the earnings of 4th quarter of 2010 and while it sounds like a tremendous amount of money, Dana reported $6.1 billion in revenue during 2010 – meaning that the $25 million fine is likely only a small portion of the money made off of Toyota throughout their relationship.

Top Bottom