• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    People think I am a heathen, but I think the Sage and Troy and the like are just stupid if you buy them before you buy lots of mags and ammo and learn to get hits with the rifle before you make it into something that looks "cool".

Congrats on your new purchase. Bring it to an Appleseed and we will help you learn how to get center hits with it.

regards.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    People think I am a heathen, but I think the Sage and Troy and the like are just stupid if you buy them before you buy lots of mags and ammo and learn to get hits with the rifle before you make it into something that looks "cool".

Congrats on your new purchase. Bring it to an Appleseed and we will help you learn how to get center hits with it.

regards.

The Troy MCS doesn't just make it "look cool." It is the most solid platform available for the M-14.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    The Troy MCS doesn't just make it "look cool." It is the most solid platform available for the M-14.

I was able to get better groups out 'at distance' with my M1a's once I bought a aftermarket stock with a pistol grip. I was able to pull the rifle in tighter and my trigger control improved as well.

The M1a NEEDS a pistol grip; the M14 had one... :dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I reread my post in the light of day and don't like how it comes across.

What I want to say is that in my opinion, a person would bebetter off spending money loading up on mags and ammo before replacing a perfectly usable stock with a fairly expensive new one like the Sage or Troy.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    congrats they are very cool but alas the stock debate gets old I think the bigger problem is the second mortgage I would need to fill up that many rails. but they are awsome tools and the ability to customize them for several different applicatons is very nice. Shoot it then start tricking it out like a 1911 build it up just how YOU like it not how you hear it "should be"

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Well I didnt actually want to pay more for the Socom 2 since I was planning on getting a different stock anyways, but I couldnt seem to get a Socom 1, and the gunstore had the Socom 2, So.........

I want an aftermarket stock to get the advantage of Aluminum bedding, some of the aftermarket stocks have to be fiberglass bedded, and that is a pain and not good in the long run on a semi-auto.

Anyways, after handling it a bit this weekend (havent fired it yet) , I think that the rails make it a little hoggy for my liking. I think I really want slim and trim, with a pistol grip and 1 top rail for a holographic sight, for CQB type of stuff. If I need to break this gun out in a SHTF senario, I dont wont need it for 500+ yard work. If I can engage quickly and consistantly to hit a pie plate at 100 yards, I think that is good enough for what I need. folks are always saying " I want to engage my targets at 500+ yards!" that is well and good if you KNOW someone is a target at those ranges., But in a SHTF senario, you cant just open up on folks not knowing if they are a threat or not...and they wont be 500+ yards out when you find out for sure.

A folding stock would be nice for portability, but not necessary.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Well I didnt actually want to pay more for the Socom 2 since I was planning on getting a different stock anyways, but I couldnt seem to get a Socom 1, and the gunstore had the Socom 2, So.........

I

Anyways, after handling it a bit this weekend (havent fired it yet) , I think that the rails make it a little hoggy for my liking. I think I really want slim and trim, with a pistol grip and 1 top rail for a holographic sight, for CQB type of stuff. If I need to break this gun out in a SHTF senario, I dont wont need it for 500+ yard work.

A folding stock would be nice for portability, but not necessary

I sure loved the Scout Squad for the reasons you stated. But, buying into the XCR I have just made sense at the time, and still does. When it goes 6.5Gren I'll be heading that route with it. Phew, I don't know if I could handle shooting a .308 with a slim folding stock! I'll call you a He-man if you do that! :):

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    You could always sell the rails & make some of your money back. The problem w/ all the stocks is how expensive they are. You might also look at law483.com he has a bunch of different stocks for diferent prices.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Hey if your looking for some ammo for it, I decided to change paths from buying another M1A to buying a Rem 700 Tactical. If you want, I got 300 rounds of Federal XM762D that Ive had in my safe for about the last 3 months. Ill give you a good deal on it.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Finally got to shoot my new toy...This puppy is LOUD!:ar15:
    I have determined that my eyes are getting a little too old for iron sights and that I really need some kind of optic I could barely make out the bullseye at 25 yards!

Anyhoo I need practice as I was averaging 3" groups at 25 yards offhand standing.

I was shooting reloads I bought 10 years ago at the gun show, so i cant vouch for the ammo other than it didnt jam and it all fired.

Would a micro red dot sight like the Dr. site be a good choice for this type of gun? This is to be my GO-TO gun, and I want to be accurate with it and I want it to be quick handling.

Top Bottom