Phone number 555 dash, Social Security Number 062 dash?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    This is going to sound weird, but I wonder who they exposed with this.

Generally, in movies and TV shows they use fake phone numbers and social security numbers. There are clues when they do this. 555 phone number is clearly BS to pretty much everyone, but most people wouldn't even know what an invalid SSN looks like.

Today, I was rewatching an old series and someone gave their SSN as starting with 062. That is a valid prefix for a NY SSN, and any digits they gave after that may actually belong to a real person. But if they just made up numbers, and they exposed a live person's SSN, that's pretty messed up. For dead people they are freely available, because their account is closed. I can tell you Richard Nixon's SSN if you want to know. Your SSN is public record when you die.

In the course of my career, I know that there are certain first triple digits that could be used in the same way that 555 numbers are used for telephone numbers.

I might have to rewind a few episodes and research the SSN they used. If it is available, and they used a dead person's SSN, I'd like to know whose they used.

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Today, I was rewatching an old series and someone gave their SSN as starting with 062. That is a valid prefix for a NY SSN, and any digits they gave after that may actually belong to a real person. But if they just made up numbers, and they exposed a live person's SSN, that's pretty messed up. For dead people they are freely available, because their account is closed. I can tell you Richard Nixon's SSN if you want to know. Your SSN is public record when you die.

Wasn't there a prefix that was only used for railroad workers?

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    How would they know you are going to be a RR worker when you grow up?
    Typically railroad workers pay into railroad retirement, a comparable federal plan to Social Security.
    https://hensleylegal.com/arent-railroad-workers-eligible-social-security

When Social Security started, people did not register until they entered the job market. For most of us old folks that was about the age of 16. Of course, at the start of the plan, many were already working. Signing up babies is relatively new.

Top Bottom