• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    @DadSmith

i definitely WAS NOT downplaying your list. i was attempting to throw a dig at you because you have started me down an even deeper rabbit hole.

your talk of CZs was the inspiration to buy the tanfaglio combat. a lot of what i have purchased over the last year or so has been because of your posts in the crack thread. lol
    I never took it as such on you downplaying my list. I was just trying to show what I have personally shot a lot of and that I know I can depend on. Of course any firearm i buy gets a good amount of shooting before it becomes eligible as an edc.
    I would not trust another firearm even the same make and model until I tested it out and found it was ready to use.

I really like the P10F it's a nice pistol for what it is.
    I shot the Dagger last night in the dark and rain. It has a whole 10rds through it. It has a long way to go yet before it makes the cut. I'm excited about testing a new gun out. I have 990 Argentine primers for it :D

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I didn't think about cost when I was choosing my EDC. I tried several out to see what fit my hand well, what I liked, the manual of arms, my confidence in the performance, the concealability and my ability to shoot it well.

It just so happened that the gun that checked those boxes was not very expensive.
    Absolutely this

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I never took it as such on you downplaying my list. I was just trying to show what I have personally shot a lot of and that I know I can depend on. Of course any firearm i buy gets a good amount of shooting before it becomes eligible as an edc.
    I would not trust another firearm even the same make and model until I tested it out and found it was ready to use.

I really like the P10F it's a nice pistol for what it is.
    I shot the Dagger last night in the dark and rain. It has a whole 10rds through it. It has a long way to go yet before it makes the cut. I'm excited about testing a new gun out. I have 990 Argentine primers for it :D
    i can dig that. i don't trust any gun until i hit the 250 mark with no failures. i am not a gun snob (even tho i am partial to sigs) so i stay open to any manufacturer. hell...i love my hi points. just like my tauruses (or would it be tauri?), and s&w. i've dipped my toes in lake CZ and want more.

i not a fan of G***** but i don't deny they are very reliable. i gifted a g43 to my oldest gdaughter and have sgot very well with it (at least i think so. she is a better shot with it)

at this point i'm just happy (or lucky) that all of my firearms go bang when i pull the trigger so i trust my life with them. even the hi points. especially the pcc. i would not hesitate to grab that one in a self defense need.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Oddly one of the most reliable pistols I’ve owned/carried was also the cheapest. I traded it to dad. A first gen Taurus 24/7 .45 compact. Stupid reliable.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If it's merely a lucky charm for you, spend whatever you want.

If it's a piece of potentially life-saving safety gear, spend whatever you think your life is worth.

People view the cost of the firearm like it's the most significant cost of ownership. Not necessarily.

It is if you buy the gun, a box of ammo, an Uncle Mike's holster, and stick it in a drawer and maybe just carry it when you think you "need to."

If you gear up for carrying 100%, stock a reasonable supply of ammo, practice and train, etc. then the cost of the firearm itself is a small fraction of the cost of ownership.
    Agreed believe it or not I have a friend that went to a range last weekend and was complaining how he forgot to take out his self defense rounds out of his “clip” as he put it and was torqued off he shot $20.00 worth of ammo.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've carried a $150 Kel tec, and have moved to what I consider "up" to an M&P 9c....I carried a Glock 19, didn't care for the grip angle, really liked a Rock Island officers model, but I really like the 9mm, so moved to the S&W...I'll carry it til I die (and might want to be buried with it)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If it's merely a lucky charm for you, spend whatever you want.

If it's a piece of potentially life-saving safety gear, spend whatever you think your life is worth.

People view the cost of the firearm like it's the most significant cost of ownership. Not necessarily.

It is if you buy the gun, a box of ammo, an Uncle Mike's holster, and stick it in a drawer and maybe just carry it when you think you "need to."

If you gear up for carrying 100%, stock a reasonable supply of ammo, practice and train, etc. then the cost of the firearm itself is a small fraction of the cost of ownership.
    This really is spot on true. Back when I carried an Ed Brown Exec Carry, I ran the numbers and found that if you practice a lot, the cost of the gun really is a small part of the total cost. Even a $2k 1911 is cheap compared to the total cost of shooting it regularly over the course of a couple of years.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, we live in a time that let's folks buy quality guns for not much money. There are some great SD handguns that can be bought new for well under $500. The Shield Plus, P10C and many others are often seen at prices under $500.

Fantastic times these are for gun owners on a tight budget. I keep buying LE trade in Sigs for under $500 and for well under $200, any of them could go back to Sig for a fresh set of springs, new night sights and a thorough inspection. That would give a budget shooter a top shelf gun for around $600. Less with judicious shopping.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So in reading some post’s there was mention not wanting to put too much money into an edc. Just wondering others thoughts were on how much you’re willing to spend on your edc. ? -Snip-
    The amount is up to what each person can live with.

But I won't spend any more than I can live with if I'm forced to use it for lawful defense and it's taken from me by the police and not returned PROMPTLY after it's been determined that I acted lawfully.

It always seemed ironic to use an EDC for defense from being robbed by some thug, THEN being robbed anyway by the police who refuse to return it.

And the cost of replacing my EDC is many times more than the amount of money in my wallet that the thug wanted to rob from me in the first place.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The amount is up to what each person can live with.

But I won't spend any more than I can live with if I'm forced to use it for lawful defense and it's taken from me by the police and not returned PROMPTLY after it's been determined that I acted lawfully.

It always seemed ironic to use an EDC for defense from being robbed by some thug, THEN being robbed anyway by the police who refuse to return it.

And the cost of replacing my EDC is many times more than the amount of money in my wallet that the thug wanted to rob from me in the first place.
    So just give the thug your wallet. You've made your value decision.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Cost, reliability, and accuracy is why I chose the 92 FS for EDC.

And for $575 made it a good choice for me if something were to happen to it. it’s a proven platform and parts are widely available for it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My EDC is a Sig P229 DAK .357 Sig that I paid just under $600 for.
    I would hate to have it stolen by the government as the price for LAWFULLY using it for self defense.
    BUT it wouldn't bite as bad as having a fine $1000 to $2000 or more pistol stolen from me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My EDC is a Sig P229 DAK .357 Sig that I paid just under $600 for.
    I would hate to have it stolen by the government as the price for LAWFULLY using it for self defense.
    BUT it wouldn't bite as bad as having a fine $1000 to $2000 or more pistol stolen from me.
    Impoundment of a weapon used in a shooting is standard procedure during an investigation. Not sure where you are getting "theft" from. They even take an officer's service weapon if it is used in a police action shooting. Granted, they replace the officer's weapon, because it's an issued one, but it's standard procedure for collection of ballistic evidence.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Impoundment of a weapon used in a shooting is standard procedure during an investigation. Not sure where you are getting "theft" from. They even take an officer's service weapon if it is used in a police action shooting. Granted, they replace the officer's weapon, because it's an issued one, but it's standard procedure for collection of ballistic Ievidence.
    I understand needing it for a trial, and it doesn't take YEARS to get ballistic evidence for it.

But trials aside, whenever a firearm goes into the system in Indianapolis for ANY reason, EVEN when they have no need for it anymore, it STILL can take years to get it back if ever.
    THAT'S WHAT I MEAN BY THEFT.

Top Bottom