• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm no expert but here's what I've done/would do. A year or so ago, I was given some oak saplings. I put them in some of those pots you get when you buy shrubs from Lowes, etc. I then put them in the ground (with those pots) to temporarily get them started. If you haven't already, start getting them acclimated to being outside now. If they haven't been exposed to direct sunlight before, they might not like a sudden, permanent exposure. Get them some sun an hour or so a day and build them up to being permanently exposed. The next spring, I transplanted the ones that survived. 2/3 made it through the first winter and are still living.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'd plant them now myself out of direct sunlight. All the seedlings where I hunt are in shaded creek bottoms. None on hills or in the open. Moist earth.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not to get off subject but do you think that persimmons will survive this far north? All Indiana persimmons and pawpaws I have encountered are in southern Indiana / nothern Kentucky...

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Not to get off subject but do you think that persimmons will survive this far north? All Indiana persimmons and pawpaws I have encountered are in southern Indiana / nothern Kentucky...
    We've had persimmons on the family farm in northern Hamilton county for years. Had some(about 8) start growing in my strawberry patch at the farm, and left them because I knew my Mom would kill me if I destroyed them. They are doing great.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    We've had persimmons on the family farm in northern Hamilton county for years. Had some(about 8) start growing in my strawberry patch at the farm, and left them because I knew my Mom would kill me if I destroyed them. They are doing great.
    Good to know!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Huntington county where I hunt is absolutely loaded. Saw a bunch by where I used to work in Allen county also.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Really? Very cool. I have a place where I can buy decent sized plants and didn't want to throw money away on something that won't thrive.
    Make sure the plants are American persimmons or American hybrids. Asian persimmon varieties are not nearly as hardy.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My parent's have a healthy one in their yard in Carmel. No fruit since it's alone.

Top Bottom