• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Friendly advice: unless you have some special requirements, avoid the gel pepper spray formulations.

Their time to desired effect is terrible - on the order of 15 sec up to 1 minute - usually around 30 seconds - an ETERNITY in many self-defense situations. If you want something that takes affect rapidly, and cross-contamination isn’t an overriding issue, look to the stream canisters/formulations.

It drives me nuts that gel formulations seem to be ubiquitous in brick and mortar retail outlets when what most people need is a good stream canister.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Been sprayed a bunch. Used to let women attempt to spray me with whatever spray they had as I charged them. I was the "training dummy " for an instructor teaching women's self defense. Got sprayed in the Academy. CS chamber in the Army.

It's pain compliance and some varying degradation of sight and breathing control. How much varies greatly. Brand. Spray placement. Weather. Mental state. Sprayed with adrenaline up is easy compared to sprayed unaware.

I'm not a fan. It's a compliance tool, not an answer to an active assault. It will not make me comply if I don't want to. I've been sprayed 5 times in a few hours, just using Sudecon wipes and baby shampoo between each one and could still run, grapple, etc after each one. Seen too many drunks and hyped up folks shrug it off.

Strong brands with good hits will obscure your vision quickly, though, which is good for helping sprayer disengage.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What IS the charge if you fire off pepper spray in a situation other than self defense?
    Battery.

The level 6 felony variety if it causes "moderate bodily injury" which has been found to include facial pain, redness and swelling, and difficult breathing due to having been sprayed with pepper spray.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    #1, it's illegal (at least in Indiana) for a minor (under age 18) to purchase, own, or possess pepper spray at any level.

In California, 'offensive use' of pepper spray is up to a $1,000 fine and up to 365 days in jail (aka, it's just a misdemeanor)...

In Indiana, a few Fast Facts are...
    • Citizens in Indiana can carry any size and any quantity of pepper spray that they want. There are no capacity restrictions.
    • All typical formulations of defensive spray are allowed in Indiana, including OC, CN and CS.
    • Anybody may carry pepper spray in Indiana for the purposes of self-defense, and there are no restrictions regarding age for possession or purchase, with the possible exception that one must be 18 years old or older to order pepper spray from out of state.
    Basically, it's allowed for personal defense purposes but not for offensive or aggressive purposes.
    So not questioning your knowledge or wanting to argue but I’ve looked long and hard and I cannot find any age restrictions on any of the sprays in Indiana law? The only one I can find says “you may need to be 18yo to order pepper spray online”

and if that IS indeed a law…… how asinine. Taking an already vulnerable population (young) and taking away a useful tool to try and even the playing field

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    As stated above SA is paramount, best to avoid the opportunity allowing Someone close enough to deploy pepper spray, once they do the argument could be made that they meant to do great bodily harm and the spray was just the first step.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Since the fall of 2021, I always have a gel spray on my person, available to be used as an intermediate level of self-defense, if needed...and it's much easier to hide in the hand than a pistol, if necessary. I did a lot of research on the different sprays, gels, etc. and choose the OC gel version when I was a chaperone on my son's field trip to Washington, DC back in the fall of 2021. I carried 2 gel sprays, a 'legal' length knife (DC's limit is a blade length of 2.75") and a polymer walking stick with some rudimentary training to go along with it. Just a quick reminder for those whose wife or daughter carries 'mace' (spray or gel of any kind) in their purse or pack, it's often not readily available in the event of an emergency!
    A good addition for nighttime encounters would be a 2k lumen light.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    So not questioning your knowledge or wanting to argue but I’ve looked long and hard and I cannot find any age restrictions on any of the sprays in Indiana law? The only one I can find says “you may need to be 18yo to order pepper spray online” and if that IS indeed a law…… how asinine. Taking an already vulnerable population (young) and taking away a useful tool to try and even the playing field
    Here's what I found online...seems like the only restriction is in the direct sale of Pepper Spray to someone under the age of 18...I find nothing regarding the 'gifting' of pepper spray, by a parent or legal guardian, for the purpose of self-defense.

"Pepper spray is legal in Indiana, but it cannot be sold to minors under the age of 18. It must be used for self-defense purposes only and cannot contain more than 2% oleoresin capsicum."

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Here's what I found online...seems like the only restriction is in the direct sale of Pepper Spray to someone under the age of 18...I find nothing regarding the 'gifting' of pepper spray, by a parent or legal guardian, for the purpose of self-defense.

"Pepper spray is legal in Indiana, but it cannot be sold to minors under the age of 18. It must be used for self-defense purposes only and cannot contain more than 2% oleoresin capsicum."

I never even saw the 2% number all I saw was no direct sales to minors. I was only asking because you were so confident in the answer you gave stating “ #1, it's illegal (at least in Indiana) for a minor (under age 18) to purchase, own, or possess pepper spray at any level.”

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Pepper Spray. They make good make shift prank grenades, break off the spray nozzle and throw it in a room..

Ohh ... uhh this might have been a fun college pranks.. But that was 30 years ago and I am sure the statute of limitations has past. (And if its not directly getting anyone, its not that bad,)
    The same as dumping 10 boxes of tide in the fountain out front the admin building.

Ohh those were the days.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I never even saw the 2% number all I saw was no direct sales to minors. I was only asking because you were so confident in the answer you gave stating “ #1, it's illegal (at least in Indiana) for a minor (under age 18) to purchase, own, or possess pepper spray at any level.”
    I know that the Mace brand and Sabre brand of pepper spray states on the packaging, 'No Sale to Under 18' or something along those lines, even at Wally's.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I know that the Mace brand and Sabre brand of pepper spray states on the packaging, 'No Sale to Under 18' or something along those lines, even at Wally's.
    That’s fine but buying and owning/using are very separate things. I am glad you were mistaken because I think that would be a bad law. You just said it with such certainty you even had me believing you for a second even though I have researched I thought you knew something I didn’t.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    That’s fine but buying and owning/using are very separate things. I am glad you were mistaken because I think that would be a bad law. You just said it with such certainty you even had me believing you for a second even though I have researched I thought you knew something I didn’t.
    More research provided this statement...how valid it is, is unknown.

The Basics:
    • Pepper spray is LEGAL to buy/use/carry/ship to Indiana.
    • Must be a minimum of 18 years old to buy/use/carry.
    • Cannot have any convicted felonies on record.
    • Intended for self-defense purposes only.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    More research provided this statement...how valid it is, is unknown.

The Basics:
    • Pepper spray is LEGAL to buy/use/carry/ship to Indiana.
    • Must be a minimum of 18 years old to buy/use/carry.
    • Cannot have any convicted felonies on record.
    • Intended for self-defense purposes only.

So according to that statement felons cannot have pepper spray …. But they can have muzzle loaders? Seems a bit backwards

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    So according to that statement felons cannot have pepper spray …. But they can have muzzle loaders? Seems a bit backwards

I found the website that's from. It's ******** as far as I can tell.

If you look at https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2022/ic/titles/035/#35-47 , you'll see that where pepper spray used to be listed has been repealed. It looks like it's unregulated now.

Also, interestingly, serious violent felons cannot possess any type of firearm, including muzzleloaders and BB guns.

However, non-violent felons, as far as Indiana is concerned, can possess firearms. It's just federally illegal.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I found the website that's from. It's ******** as far as I can tell.

If you look at https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2022/ic/titles/035/#35-47 , you'll see that where pepper spray used to be listed has been repealed. It looks like it's unregulated now.

Also, interestingly, serious violent felons cannot possess any type of firearm, including muzzleloaders and BB guns.

However, non-violent felons, as far as Indiana is concerned, can possess firearms. It's just federally illegal.

Gotcha I should have considered the source when I heard about the muzzle loader and felon deal. Luckily I do NOT have to worry about that lol

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Not me but years ago when I worked in Detroit - I had a small Pepper Spray shaped like a Bic Lighter - it was on my Dresser and Daughter #2 (10yr) came in to ask Mom a question and picked it up and pushed the button - They were coughing for a hour

green46105

Gun enthusiast, gun collector, lover of firearms
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2023
    greencastle indiana
    based on my experience of being sprayed at work to qualify i would shoot if you pulled pepper spray on me. I would be in fear of my life if you attempted to spray me and take my gun to kill me. my defense i was in fear of my life from an imminate threat of being murdered and my gun used to murder other people.

green46105

Gun enthusiast, gun collector, lover of firearms
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2023
    greencastle indiana
    Since the fall of 2021, I always have a gel spray on my person, available to be used as an intermediate level of self-defense, if needed...and it's much easier to hide in the hand than a pistol, if necessary. I did a lot of research on the different sprays, gels, etc. and choose the OC gel version when I was a chaperone on my son's field trip to Washington, DC back in the fall of 2021. I carried 2 gel sprays, a 'legal' length knife (DC's limit is a blade length of 2.75") and a polymer walking stick with some rudimentary training to go along with it. Just a quick reminder for those whose wife or daughter carries 'mace' (spray or gel of any kind) in their purse or pack, it's often not readily available in the event of an emergency!
    i have heard of people that the OC doesnt effect as much using the gel spray against the person spraying by wiping it in their hand then rubbing it in the users eyes. while OC is a very effective tool it doesnt always work on everyone. I have seen offenders at work that it didnt work on. that being said if you are using it i still would use it just be weary that it dont work on everyone.

Top Bottom