• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    +1 for the Costco Tellicherry peppercorns. For the price and availability it's hard to beat.
    The spice store near me (Artisano's) also has various excellent fresh peppercorns; red, white, green, black.
    Mmmmm, steak au poivre vert (green peppercorn sauce - yum)

I love my french press and doesn't take that much longer to make great coffee. Fresh coarse ground beans steeped for 4 minutes, then poured. The cleanup after brewing is likely the thing folks hate most and why K-cups are so popular. I am not a fan. So much plastic waste generated (I know, there are some bio-degradable ones now).

I'll admit it, I'm a coffee snob. I drink coffee for the flavor of.......COFFEE, not vanilla, mocha or whatever.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    At work, folks like to use that "flavored K cup" ****; carmel mocha, chocolate whatever, vanilla bean some crap.

"Flavored coffee" is like "flavored whisky" or "flavored cigars".... crap.
    There are no flavored k-cups in my house. Just dark roast coffee and a few light roast for guests…

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    So I had to go out to America's Test Kitchen to see if they had taste-tested peppercorns. Surprisingly, the winner was Tone's Whole Black Peppercorns.

I've been using whole peppercorns for several years now, I like my Oxo grinder. Not sure what brand peppercorns I bought last time, but I portioned them into 1 cup measurements and vacuum sealed. I only fill the grinder half-way when refilling. Not sure if this helps any, but I'm sure it can't hurt.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My whiskey peppercorn steak recipe:

1C your fav whiskey/bourbon (if I won’t drink it I won’t cook with it)
    1 tablespoon heavy cream
    ~1C beef stock
    1.5-2 tablespoons of rue (2 tablespoons of flour in 2 tablespoons melted butter)
    1-2 teaspoons whole peppercorns

Bring the whiskey to a boil and ignite it to burn the alcohol, reduce by at least half.

I use a mortar and pestle to just crack the peppercorns in half and I discard fine powder (or retain for other use).

Add the stock, cream and the peppercorns to the whiskey then add enough rue to just thicken it to desired consistency. I like it just thick enough so it doesn’t all run off the steak. If it’s too thick add a little more stock to it.

At the last minute drop a splash of whiskey to sauce for a little kick of alcohol flavor.

Ladle over a good ribeye or ny strip.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I like this blend, They also have several black only pepper corns available.

Walmart sells a peppercorn medley that is not bad, but is not as strong of flavor.

Since we always use pepper mill at the house, peppercorns are all we buy. After surgery, I could not use my right hand for a while, Ended up having the wife grind fresh pepper into a container because the pepper mill needs both hands. She did not appreciate that chore.

Thanks for the link

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So I had to go out to America's Test Kitchen to see if they had taste-tested peppercorns. Surprisingly, the winner was Tone's Whole Black Peppercorns.

I've been using whole peppercorns for several years now, I like my Oxo grinder. Not sure what brand peppercorns I bought last time, but I portioned them into 1 cup measurements and vacuum sealed. I only fill the grinder half-way when refilling. Not sure if this helps any, but I'm sure it can't hurt.
    Did you watch it or see a list? If you watched what did Chris pick? My palette aligns with his a lot.

Top Bottom