• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Disagree. Strongly. The global economic impacts alone will severely impact the US. That's not as sexy a thing to prep for, but it's much more likely. (And both are extremely low probabilities, just more likely in comparison to an exchange with the US)

Nobody can prep for everything. Everyone has limited time and limited resources. You have to draw the line at something, but logically you should spend your resources on high probability/high risk/high reward situations first. If you want to prep for nuclear exchanges, meteor strikes, and alien invasions that's your business. Just ask if you've prepped for more likely life altering/ending events, say a massive bleed from a car crash, with the same assiduousness first.

This^

Just pitching one nuke by Russia into Ukraine will shut down the world by fear alone. Assuming no other nukes fired it will still take a long time for everything to recover from just the fear of an exchange assuming leadership can find some way of smoothing things over. Ordinary preps will help Americans through this type of crisis, everybody else will be scared and running for the hills.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I will say that any prep done specifically for a nuclear attack scenario would be most helpful in a “dirty bomb” situation For those in an urban setting.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

My thoughts are his third army (winter) is on the way. And his adversary is as adept at cold weather fighting as he is. Drawing this thing out longer could spell trouble for the rest of the world. JMO.

Should be an interesting winter, and an even more interesting spring muddy season. Wonder how that computes into Russia strategy. If convoys get caught on the roads again, could be a lot different outcome than at the start of the war.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Agreed with all you said! I am formulating plans for a lot of what you mention. 2 radiation dosimeters to monitors levels. While I don't have the resources to have a perfect bunker situation, all I want is a first step is to know which basement or concrete building I can go into with my kid and wait out the 24 hours after a detonation. My research tell me that the deadliness of fallout rapidly declines if you can wait it out for a day. We may not have air and water filtration, but a concrete structure with some bottled water and a few other supplies should be enough to help you avoid the worst of it.

I'm very stressed because I have a very difficult to deal with exwife who I worry would cause problems in enacting a plan to keep our kid safe during such a time.

A part of my plan involves getting out farther from the city at the first sign that a nuclear conflict is imminent. I believe there will be plenty of warning and increased threats. Like I said, Putin will probably use a nuke in Ukraine first, in which case we can call it a nuclear war. he 24 hours following that incident will be critical because US response will determine whether it escalates or deescalates.
    Well on a couple positive notes I see you are from Indianapolis. I would bug out and head SW because 5 of six nations with nuke capabilities have Carmel Indiana as the #1 strike target (just because it's Carmel) so you can get out quickly going SW.
    secondly that could be the solution to that hard to deal with ex wife.

PS...Insert purple if deemed appropriate.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I've worried about this for years; more than I care to admit. I've spent countless nights researching the best place to be when the ball drops, the best preps to have, etc. What I've learned is this: It's useless to worry about it or try to prepare for. Unless, you can escape this planet and live on the moon or elsewhere; just pray it never happens.

My advice:

Prep if it makes you feel better but don't worry or obsess about it.
    Spend time with your family and cherish every single moment you can with them.
    Live your life everyday in the best way that you can and enjoy the small things in it that make you happy.
    Lastly, get right with God.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Well on a couple positive notes I see you are from Indianapolis. I would bug out and head SW because 5 of six nations with nuke capabilities have Carmel Indiana as the #1 strike target (just because it's Carmel) so you can get out quickly going SW.
    secondly that could be the solution to that hard to deal with ex wife.

PS...Insert purple if deemed appropriate.
    Sorry to break the bad news to you, but Carmel moved down to #2 in the nation. The new #1 is Elwood, Indiana, home of the RedGold tomato factory and world headquarters. (Insert more purple here)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Sorry to break the bad news to you, but Carmel moved down to #2 in the nation. The new #1 is Elwood, Indiana, home of the RedGold tomato factory and world headquarters. (Insert more purple here)
    It should be Orestus, Indiana. That way it takes out the larger Orestus Plant, the distribution center, paste storage in Alex and The Worlds Largest Ball of Paint.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Its already surrounded with fields of corn and angry black angus cows.
    Its surprising how many folks visit it on the way through town. lol...
    Aren’t most of us surrounded by corn and cows though?
    On a disturbing note, I’ve worked with several “city boys” that have asked me questions like “what’s that big green thing?” I, shocked, say “the combine???” They say “yeah, what’s it for?” I had no idea people from Indiana wouldn’t know what a combine is!!!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    On a disturbing note, I’ve worked with several “city boys” that have asked me questions like “what’s that big green thing?” I, shocked, say “the combine???” They say “yeah, what’s it for?” I had no idea people from Indiana wouldn’t know what a combine is!!!
    Yes. My HS is a mile outside of the DC Beltway, when I was in HS the dairy farm encompassed two sides of the school.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Wife took her GS troop up to the museum of science and industry in Cago, she said you could easily tell which kids(not from her troop, strangers) came from urban areas and which ones were rural. The urban ones were all mouth agape at the farm exhibits and the rural at the more big city stuff. One of her troop was amazed at the escalators and thought they were the coolest things ever, she had never seen one before. They couldn't understand why people were crowded around the tractors and such at the farm exhibit, they were like it's a tractor so what? Our local H.S. has a drive your tractor to school day for the FFA kids and has a farm animal exhibit inside the school, live cows, horses, sheep, etc.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Wife took her GS troop up to the museum of science and industry in Cago, she said you could easily tell which kids(not from her troop, strangers) came from urban areas and which ones were rural. The urban ones were all mouth agape at the farm exhibits and the rural at the more big city stuff. One of her troop was amazed at the escalators and thought they were the coolest things ever, she had never seen one before. They couldn't understand why people were crowded around the tractors and such at the farm exhibit, they were like it's a tractor so what? Our local H.S. has a drive your tractor to school day for the FFA kids and has a farm animal exhibit inside the school, live cows, horses, sheep, etc.
    I still remember riding an escalator for the first time. I was a lot younger than high school, but old enough to remember it. I was super excited about it for days; back then it seemed like the coolest thing ever.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I still remember riding an escalator for the first time. I was a lot younger than high school, but old enough to remember it. I was super excited about it for days; back then it seemed like the coolest thing ever.
    I installed many elevators in small towns, with ada small town libraries got elevators.
    Many times there would be a line to ride it after the install was done.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Can't remember the first time, but I do remember racing up the down escalator against people just riding the up one. It was a little used one inside one of the 2 stories stores at south lake mall.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Pretty grim tone...

What would be harder, living or dying? A good question that all adults should rationally answer for themselves.

My philosophy...

Accept that both are possible and one is inevitable. Prepare what you can without making it the meaning of your existence because chance will play a much bigger role in your survival than any preps.

Top Bottom