• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a Benjamin Mayhem air rifle in .22 caliber. I had noticed that I wasn't hitting where I thought the rifle was sighted in for when shooting afield. Yesterday, I took the air rifle to the indoor range to verify the zero at 25 yards. I used H&N pellets because I found the cheap Crossman, Daisy, etc. wouldn't group well at all. Yesterday, I shot at a "sight in target" with 1" squares. I found out that pellet weight has a significant affect on impact. The pellet I had been using was the H&N Terminator which weighs 16.36 grains. I compared the impact of it with a new to me pellet, the H&N Hornet, which has weight of 16.20 grains. The heavier H&N Terminator pellet shot consistently higher than the H&N Hornet. In fact, it shot 2 1/2 inches higher. If I remember correctly, this is opposite what I should expect from a cartridge rifle, but about the same as what I expect from cartridge fired handguns. It was also very surprising that a .16 grain difference in weight made that much of a difference. Of course, I've also learned that, at least with my Benjamin Mayhem, that a "light hold" makes for better accuracy, compared to a "spot weld" hold for a cartridge fired rifle. BTW, I was shooting my air rifle "off hand", not from a rest. I was relieved to learn that there wasn't a problem with my scope, rifle or marksmanship. I did learn that it doesn't pay to be lazy and guess about zero.

Basher

Expert
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Yep, spring piston rifles definitely benefit from the looser “artillery hold” over a “weld” hold most of us have learned shooting powder-burners.

Also, just like a rimfire, pellet rifles can be ammo picky. Try a bunch to find out what yours likes best! Some accuracy can be squeezed out with changes to the rifles’s tune, but it’s usually quicker and cheaper to find a pellet the rifle likes and stick with it, from what I’ve found. Save the less accurate stuff for casual plinking at cans. :)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    Cartridge guns are also known to hit higher with heavier projectiles, at moderate distances where flatness of trajectory is not yet the dominant effect. So I'm not surprised at what you're seeing, in terms of direction. The theoretical effect is that the primary recoil has more time to move the shot upward before the shot exits the barrel. It is hard to believe 0.16 grains making a difference.

But 2.5"? Wow.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yep, spring piston rifles definitely benefit from the looser “artillery hold” over a “weld” hold most of us have learned shooting powder-burners.

Also, just like a rimfire, pellet rifles can be ammo picky. Try a bunch to find out what yours likes best! Some accuracy can be squeezed out with changes to the rifles’s tune, but it’s usually quicker and cheaper to find a pellet the rifle likes and stick with it, from what I’ve found. Save the less accurate stuff for casual plinking at cans. :)
    From a standing position, the H&N pellets held about an inch at 25 yards. I expect with a better trigger and from a rest, a good bench rest shooter could put them on top of one another.

Top Bottom