• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    There is a World of options out there, with the choice of caliber and power source/power. My 60 year old Sheridan still does a great job. For out and out accuracy, the Daisy 853 is hard to beat.
    Which Sheridan model do you have?

I picked one up in my LGS for $40 and after doing some research I have found out it is a Super Grade model A!

I was told it was .177 but after chambering a .177 pellet it would fall out the end of the barrel when held down. So it is a .20 cal.

This thing cleaned up nice but I still need to find the aperture for the rear peep. A few drops of Crossman oil and it chucks the Diablo pellets with a thump.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I gave the M-rod an interesting workout over the last couple days. I was doing some rope saw limb trimming and was using a hitch pin as a throw line weight. The hitch pin got caught a couple times in the rough bark of the locust tree. It was really stuck and was gonna have to be left 20-30 foot up in the tree.

MY first thought was .22LR, but shooting up in the air at a small heavy metal object seemed less than safe for a lot of reasons. Enter the M-rod, pushing a 15.8gr hollow point .22 pellet, at around 850-900 fps.

I knocked the pin loose twice in three shots. I was pretty happy with the results, although I had to retie after shooting the cord off the last time.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Marauder works on greys and reds should be rough on munks. I hear a lot of people balk at the cost, which is plenty, but these same people-myself included ,have guns that cost as much or more sitting around that haven't been used in years and probably won't be used in years. Sell one or two of these and buy something useful!I've owned springers from Beeman and RWS-absolutely no comparison in accuracy,my .25 Marauder will shoot 1/2" at 50 yards in good conditions and the point of impact never changes.
    41963353190_0f4c5c2bf3_c.jpg 44258809861_e8a2b70b91_c.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just for fun I picked up a Umerex Octane break barrel gas piston pellet rifle in .22, with an Umerex 3-9x40 AO scope mounted, with a partial box of Crosman Copperhead pellets in near perfect condition.

Saw it in the Classifieds yesterday evening & thought, why not?
    $100 & and a simple break-barrel gas piston.

Today's range pics weren't impressive, but that could be due to the type of pellets used.
    I'll have to find out what works by doing some research & trying out different weight pellets.
    Found targets showing these did well:
    - BWS Hobby
    - Crosman Premier HP
    - JSB Exact Express
    - H&N Field Target Trophy
    - Baracuda Match
    A pellet weight of 14 seems to work well, over a 9 weight or 20 weight. :oldwise:

Below: 1.75" circles at 25 yds.
    1st round was near center of top left circle, then they scattered out a bit.
    I tried adjusting the scope but it didn't get a great response.
    If it would have been a magazine fed rifle I would have kept shooting
    & adjusting the scope but the 40# pull for each pellet got tiresome, ha ha!
    Range 7.24.2021 1st time 25 yds.jpg

8" steel plate was next & more fun.
    the smaller group was less than an inch, but about 1.75" when including the 2 lower fliers.
    Range 7.24.2021 1st time 8in plate.jpg pic of Umarex Octane air rifle.jpg

Last edited:

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    CCI CB 22 Long. 710 fps, out of a 22 rifle barrel, you can hear the hammer drop and not much else.
    Quieter than my Sheridan air rifle regardless of the number of pumps.

MH

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The thing to remember with those springers is NOT to pull them into the shoulder. It is difficult to unlearn old habits but the looser the hold the higher the accuracy. Just let it rest on the shoulder and lightly touch them off and you will be amazed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The thing to remember with those springers is NOT to pull them into the shoulder. It is difficult to unlearn old habits but the looser the hold the higher the accuracy. Just let it rest on the shoulder and lightly touch them off and you will be amazed.
    I didn't know that! I'll have to give it a try. Wonder why that is?

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Yes and don't try to shoot them off of a rest or sandbags!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I entertain myself sitting on my porch shooting the stems to drop Hickory nuts off my trees, and then shooting the nut, and then the pieces of the nut.

I found that the accuracy with having the rifle sitting on top of my shoulder to sight into the tree was much better than when I target shot.

With experimentation it was clear it was my grip. The more you can just level it out for the shot rather than grab ahold of it the better the performance.

I have a Beeman R9 that I picked up in my LGS years ago for $75 that will outshoot most marksmen. A month ago I got a Sheridan Super Grade for $40. I kicked around the idea of a PCP but I haven't found one for my cheapo price range, lol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I remember reading that somewhere but did not practice that yesterday.
    Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:
    Yes and don't try to shoot them off of a rest or sandbags!
    Oh no! I won't be able to hit a 5 gallon bucket w/o my rifle being on a rest! :ugh:
    Yesterday, I was using a front rest for the forend part of the stock, but didn't use a rest for the butt of the rifle, but just held it to my shoulder, which I never do anymore w/.22LR rifle, but I was too lazy to break it out yesterday.

Now what do I do? :wallbash:
    That would explain alot about yesterdays foray into an air rifle and errant inconsistent rounds
    Perhaps using a sand/pebble type bag for the front rest would be better than a solid rubber rest so as to give allowance for vibration not to be hampered? :scratch:

I read this today reinforcing what you were saying:
    "Hold your airgun with a light, consistent grip every time and the movement will follow the same course for every shot, thus ensuring that the pellet always follows the same path."

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I didn't know that! I'll have to give it a try. Wonder why that is?
    It's a reverse recoil that occurs from the spring action. Same reverse recoil that kills some conventional scopes.

I think it varies from gun to gun and human to human also. Your consistent hold may vary.

Maybe I just never practiced enough to be consistent, but it's like rolling the dice for me, shooting a spring piston gun. After purchasing the PCP, no more springers for this guy.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It's a reverse recoil that occurs from the spring action. Same reverse recoil that kills some conventional scopes.

I think it varies from gun to gun and human to human also. Your consistent hold may vary.

Maybe I just never practiced enough to be consistent, but it's like rolling the dice for me, shooting a spring piston gun. After purchasing the PCP, no more springers for this guy.
    I'll give you $50 for your PCP...lol

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Tossing this in...I bought a Daisy (I know) Powerline 901 for $69 from Wally World about 5 years ago. It shoots .177 pellets and also shoots regular BB's. It's a pump type rifle (10 pumps maximum) and it can send a .177 pellet out at about 700-720 fps. I have shot and killed garden robbing varmints from about 35-40 feet reliably. Open sites, it came with a worthless scope. I bought this because it is the exact same rifle they used at Camp Belzer Cub Scout day camp a few years back...my grandsons are scouts, so we get lots of BB practice.

Top Bottom