PART 2: I'm new an your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Being a master at sarcasm myself, please understand that even if you think it is impossible to mistake, it will be mistaken.

On another site I posted something like ...

Democrats are great they freed Lincolns slaves. I know because I learned it in my second grade history class last week.

Someone blasted me for being a little kid on an internet forum. They were serious!
    I have next to zero experience on Internet forums, what ever my post count is here, is it.

I do give the mods here credit for being smarter than the average bear, ———— cause their here. But I’m prejudiced.

But on second thought, I do/will take your point. Never thought of it that way. Explains the in depth rebuttal. OK nuff said.

Now go to your room and get off your dads pewter. (should that b purple?)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have next to zero experience on Internet forums, what ever my post count is here, is it.

I do give the mods here credit for being smarter than the average bear, ———— cause their here. But I’m prejudiced.

But on second thought, I do/will take your point. Never thought of it that way. Explains the in depth rebuttal. OK nuff said.

Now go to your room and get off your dads pewter. (should that b purple?)

I just spent way too much time trying to figure out what kind of pewter my dad would have had.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    What the heck did that thing compute?
    Back in 84 or 85 I was amazed when a classmate brought a 5 1/4 floppy disk to school and played a Van Halen song on the computer. Now he had to play it in sections but it still was a song on a disk being played on a computer.
    For reference, my stereo back then was an old one with a record player and 8track player. If I wanted to listen to a cassette I had an adapter that I put into the 8track player.
    A calculator that did basic functions was finally getting smaller than a paperback book.
    And a color monitor on a computer meant it was not black and white but monochrome in green or orange. Memory was measured in KBs.

So the answer is it did not compute much by today's standards but back then it was amazing!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My dad bought his first computer in 83 or 4. One 5 1/4 drive, switching disks constantly to run a basic bookkeeping program, and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    2nd computer had two 5 1/4’s, 3rd had a 5 1/4 and a 3 1/2.
    The last computer he had he had to get special made because he insisted that it have a 3 1/2” drive, he was disappointed he couldn’t get a 5 1/4 but the guy refused that one.
    This was about 2008 or 9.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    My dad bought his first computer in 83 or 4. One 5 1/4 drive, switching disks constantly to run a basic bookkeeping program, and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    2nd computer had two 5 1/4’s, 3rd had a 5 1/4 and a 3 1/2.
    The last computer he had he had to get special made because he insisted that it have a 3 1/2” drive, he was disappointed he couldn’t get a 5 1/4 but the guy refused that one.
    This was about 2008 or 9.

I had a C64 back then, and got a modem for my birthday. Then my parents saw Wargames, and sent the modem back so I wouldn't get in trouble.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I got my start on a TRS-80 first at the local Radio Shack store then in high school. Cassette tape storage. Lol!

First floppy was single-sided with the Apple II... amazing amounts of storage! 138 KBytes IIRC.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My first computer experience was the punch cards. I got to see the computer once... through a window...
    After we got married I went all out and bought a Atari 800XL.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I had one of the first 'portable' computers .... the Osborne. Actually, I still have it, and imagine that it works just fine.

i-tpH2Q68-L.jpg

i-JdJTP3Z-L.jpg

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    When I was a kid I remember seeing those Mechanical calculators. Looks like a hand grenade almost, and it was completely mechanical. Wonder how much those are going for now since they must be collectors items.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    When I was a kid I remember seeing those Mechanical calculators. Looks like a hand grenade almost, and it was completely mechanical. Wonder how much those are going for now since they must be collectors items.
    When my dad was home he did service repairs on mechanical calculators for Victor Comptometer.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    This one?
    The newer ones can be $500 the older ones can be up to 2k
    View attachment 239415
    Never seen one before, but I can hear my grandma now, I’m sure she thought this marked the end of the world, when I’d stay there and do my homework with a scientific calculator she thought I was the spawn of satan or something. Well, that might have had a bit to do with her son-in-law, but man she hated calculators.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Never seen one before, but I can hear my grandma now, I’m sure she thought this marked the end of the world, when I’d stay there and do my homework with a scientific calculator she thought I was the spawn of satan or something. Well, that might have had a bit to do with her son-in-law, but man she hated calculators.
    I was home schooled, and my mom made us do all our math work on paper, no calculators allowed, until my last year when I did calculus. I remember when I went to take the SAT test I could hardly believe they let you use a calculator during a test.

As a result, I did get pretty quick at working out calculations in my head. I remember in my 101 science class at college I would play a game where every time the professor would bring up a formula to show us how to solve it, I would try to work it out on paper faster than he could work it out with his calculator. Most times I would win, and I'd show the answer I'd written in my notebook to my friend sitting next to me in class just a second before the professor announced the answer, and he'd just give me the dirtiest looks (which I deserved for trying to be a showoff, lol.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom