• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Looking for a new rod and reel for panfish. Want it to be 6' or 6'6" and light action maybe medium light.

Also looking for a spinning reel, 25 size or smaller.

What's the recommended brands and models out there these days.
    Not looking to break the bank, so probably under $100 for the combo.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Another vote for Ugly Stik. Been using them for Crappie & Bluegill for over 30 years

Rural King usually has these for $10 cheaper than listed here:
    I was looking at those combos, but the smaller reels only come on a 4' or 5' rod. I was hoping for at least a 6'.

It's going to be for my 7 year old and he already has a 4' with a zebco, was hoping to get something for him to start moving up and I can use also.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I was looking at those combos, but the smaller reels only come on a 4' or 5' rod. I was hoping for at least a 6'.

It's going to be for my 7 year old and he already has a 4' with a zebco, was hoping to get something for him to start moving up and I can use also.
    I use a 5' ultra light all the time for panfish.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Where you're fishing at will sometimes dictate the length of rod.
    If I'm wade or bank fishing in brushy, tight quarters, I want a shorter rod (5').
    If I'm fishing from a boat, where I don't have to cast a mile, an intermediate length (6') is my choice.
    Wide open spaces bank fishing around ponds and such, I go to a longer rod (7').
    I like the Ugly Stiks because ya never know what you're gonna hook up with, especially in creeks. On numerous occasions I have hooked untargeted species that would've done in lesser rods and the Ugly Stilks will do the job.
    The reel's primary job is to collect the line, no need to break the bank when a cheapo will do. I'd make sure it has at least 3 ball bearings and concentrate my budget in a better rod and lines.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Where you're fishing at will sometimes dictate the length of rod.
    If I'm wade or bank fishing in brushy, tight quarters, I want a shorter rod (5').
    If I'm fishing from a boat, where I don't have to cast a mile, an intermediate length (6') is my choice.
    Wide open spaces bank fishing around ponds and such, I go to a longer rod (7').
    I like the Ugly Stiks because ya never know what you're gonna hook up with, especially in creeks. On numerous occasions I have hooked untargeted species that would've done in lesser rods and the Ugly Stilks will do the job.
    The reel's primary job is to collect the line, no need to break the bank when a cheapo will do. I'd make sure it has at least 3 ball bearings and concentrate my budget in a better rod and lines.
    It's mostly out of a boat. For creeks he can use the zebco setup.
    I like the look of this Pflueger setup but it's turning out to be hard to purchase.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Ugly Sticks used to carry a lifetime breakage replacement but now I believe it is one year. Still good rods tho. The one you show looks a little heavy for UL
    The one I found is a light not an UL. I'm also hoping that it's just a stock photo as it's the same no matter what model you choose.

Never heard of the Okuma, but I'm a big fan of USA made so I'll be looking into it. Is there anywhere local that sells them?
    Thanks Jay.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Our Local Walmart has a discount bin with rod/reel combos in that size for less than $ 20. I know they are made in china but they will work. At least until you need something better.

Was salt water fishing last year with our bargain basement gear and had a ball. Worked as wells as the $500 rigs I wanted to have.

Don

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Another fan of Okuma here...this is my go-to panfish rod, although I have the 6'0 ft. version, which is the CE-S-602UL-1:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/okuma-celilo-ultralight-spinning-rod?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclid=b6dd69baceb71338372d085e2518f28f&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=b6dd69baceb71338372d085e2518f28f

The rod is the most important part, and I love the above one. 6'0 is a good compromise. 5'6" is completely workable, maneuverable in tight quarters, and I used the ugly stik version of that length for years (still have it). However a full graphite blank is more sensitive for light hits, and I'm thankful for the extra half-foot when I hook something (more leverage for working fish, especially with light line).

As for reel, after you get the rod, spend the rest on whatever Daiwa has in the required price range...you can't go wrong with them for your price point.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...another note: I do not recommend buying a reel sight-unseen. It's not a terribly critical component of an ultralight rig, however, you want one where the bail trips smoothly. Some of the ones in the lower price point are atrocious in this regard, and you feel it every time you cast a line and it will make the kid not want to fish with it. There's plenty of decent quality inexpensive ones at a tackle store you can try on for feel, click the bail, adjust the drag, etc. Like I said, I've used Daiwa since the 1980s and never felt the need to change.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    The one I found is a light not an UL. I'm also hoping that it's just a stock photo as it's the same no matter what model you choose.

Never heard of the Okuma, but I'm a big fan of USA made so I'll be looking into it. Is there anywhere local that sells them?
    Thanks Jay.
    Kelley's Bait shop in Lakeville has them but I checked on AZ and they had a good assortment. Several guys I know fish with 9'ers. The bigger the rod, the bigger the manhood they figure. HA I have several 7' and a pain to wrestle out the door. Bullheaded and don't want to break them down.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    ...another note: I do not recommend buying a reel sight-unseen. It's not a terribly critical component of an ultralight rig, however, you want one where the bail trips smoothly. Some of the ones in the lower price point are atrocious in this regard, and you feel it every time you cast a line and it will make the kid not want to fish with it. There's plenty of decent quality inexpensive ones at a tackle store you can try on for feel, click the bail, adjust the drag, etc. Like I said, I've used Daiwa since the 1980s and never felt the need to change.
    Unfortunately there's not any tackle stores in my area anymore.
    Kelley's that flyingsquirrel mentioned is probably the closest and it's probably 35 miles. I will give them a call and see what they have.
    I will look into the Daiwa brand also.

Top Bottom