• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    That actually did look as bad as I thought it was going to....lol
    I would just sand the finish off the whole thing working down to a fine 1200 grit then have Allen M recoat it. I have seen his work and its good.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Here is all my limited abilities could do.
    20210830_194824.jpg

20210830_194837.jpg

20210830_194908.jpg

20210830_195045.jpg

I need to get some aluminum blue for the tip of the aluminum ejector housing. Does aluminum blue actually work?

Route 45 I'm definitely going to get those grips. Probably be a Christmas gift :):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Definitely a Glock fit :lol2:

I did find a revolver with the full on glitter treatment, but I don't think it was "CG" and I didn't want to inflict actual emotional damage to you guys.

Here is all my limited abilities could do.
    View attachment 156053

View attachment 156054

View attachment 156055

View attachment 156056

I need to get some aluminum blue for the tip of the aluminum ejector housing. Does aluminum blue actually work?

Route 45 I'm definitely going to get those grips. Probably be a Christmas gift :):

Looks good man. I'd oil it up and shoot it. You could certainly go further, but just knocking the sparkle down is a huge improvement.

acmetruck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Schneider

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Aluminum shroud.........they never clean up right. Buy another or get a steel one.
    New model shrouds are easy to come by.

I need one for a 3 screw w studded bbl, and want steel.
    Brownells out of the BRC ones at the moment.

BTW, have Rosewood new grips for Ruger SA, proly a dozen sets. Supers and regs.
    Factory stuff w chickens on em.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Aluminum shroud.........they never clean up right. Buy another or get a steel one.
    New model shrouds are easy to come by.

I need one for a 3 screw w studded bbl, and want steel.
    Brownells out of the BRC ones at the moment.

BTW, have Rosewood new grips for Ruger SA, proly a dozen sets. Supers and regs.
    Factory stuff w chickens on em.
    Didn't know they made newer out of steel. Will have to look into that. Does Ruger have a serial number lookup page? I'd like to know when this was made.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I did find a revolver with the full on glitter treatment, but I don't think it was "CG" and I didn't want to inflict actual emotional damage to you guys.

Looks good man. I'd oil it up and shoot it. You could certainly go further, but just knocking the sparkle down is a huge improvement.
    It's actually pretty dark it's just hard to tell with the reflection from the light possibly camera settings and angle. It isn't as dark as the factory bluing but it's definitely dark. Don't think I would get any darker with Birchwood cold blue. I put 9 coats on it. Unless there is a trick of the trade I don't know about.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's actually pretty dark it's just hard to tell with the reflection from the light possibly camera settings and angle. It isn't as dark as the factory bluing but it's definitely dark. Don't think I would get any darker with Birchwood cold blue. I put 9 coats on it. Unless there is a trick of the trade I don't know about.
    Did you warm it up before applying ( the metal )? That tends to help. Sometimes it just doesnt take all that well no matter how good the prep/ process.

I had a well worn cosmetically pre warning new model SBH that cleaned up to OK. Shot great too.

But never was close to factory.

Im looking for a blued .357 or .44 w 4 5/8 bbl since I have a couple stainless frames and hammers to pimp em out

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Did you warm it up before applying ( the metal )? That tends to help. Sometimes it just doesnt take all that well no matter how good the prep/ process.

I had a well worn cosmetically pre warning new model SBH that cleaned up to OK. Shot great too.

But never was close to factory.

Im looking for a blued .357 or .44 w 4 5/8 bbl since I have a couple stainless frames and hammers to pimp em out
    Yes I warmed it up before hand everything was going fine until the last 3 coating. It just did not want to get any darker.

I tried to find the information on that lookup and it said it was to old so I contacted Ruger support so they can find it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ruger support sucks.
    They told me, after sending in the $ for a factory letter, that my '67 10/22 SPC was a '72 standard model, when their own chart showed by serial number it was a '67 (and I was the 2nd owner so it was legit an SPC).

Here ya go, your New Model Super should be on here.
    There is another chart going back for Old Models.

Below is a list of em from 1974 to 2015

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ruger support sucks.
    They told me, after sending in the $ for a factory letter, that my '67 10/22 SPC was a '72 standard model, when their own chart showed by serial number it was a '67 (and I was the 2nd owner so it was legit an SPC).

Here ya go, your New Model Super should be on here.
    There is another chart going back for Old Models.

Below is a list of em from 1974 to 2015

It looks like 1979 is the year it was made.

Top Bottom