• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Just wanted to give a quick shout out to the cheap Ozark Trail fillet knives from wally world. I believe they are made by Mora. As a fillet knife, they suck because they are too stiff. However, I love using them to skin and bone out a deer. I've used Rapala fillet knives to do this for the past several years and they work well. For me, however, the increased stiffness of the Ozark Trail knives make them a better option for a boning knife. They do not hold an edge very well, but the do sharpen quickly which is fine with me. I also use the shorter version as a pairing knife in the kitchen, and as a general purpose knife in our camper which was my original intent for the blade. For a $3 knife, it's better than a lot of the $20 options out there.

Just my 2 bits,
    Mark

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just wanted to give a quick shout out to the cheap Ozark Trail fillet knives from wally world. I believe they are made by Mora. As a fillet knife, they suck because they are too stiff. However, I love using them to skin and bone out a deer. I've used Rapala fillet knives to do this for the past several years and they work well. For me, however, the increased stiffness of the Ozark Trail knives make them a better option for a boning knife. They do not hold an edge very well, but the do sharpen quickly which is fine with me. I also use the shorter version as a pairing knife in the kitchen, and as a general purpose knife in our camper which was my original intent for the blade. For a $3 knife, it's better than a lot of the $20 options out there.

Just my 2 bits,
    Mark
    I've got to agree. As for edge holding keep a steel handy and use it often. Had a house fire a couple of years back and lost most my knives. I needed to bone out some chicken breasts and saw them at wally world. Picked up the 6" and it works great, need to get the 4".

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I always keep my spyderco sharpmaker set up when I'm processing game, but the ones in the kitchen get a few strokes on a steel every time I pick one up.

As requested:

Looks like they have a 3pk for $8

Top Bottom