• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The free market is a good thing. Doesn't mean you have to pay the prices that are listed.

LGS near me has committed to "pre ban pricing." Guess what? They're basically sold out of everything. If you don't have it, and need it, you'll pay it. Just how it works.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I hate myself for ever buying from CTD in the beginning. Only because a friend suggested it. Look at them gouging here.

I wish I hadn't of clicked the link. CTD needs to be put out of business the old fashioned way: nobody buys anything, ever from them.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Is it truly price gouging if this is the new normal for the next 2-3 years maybe more? Where I work, I met a guy looking for primers because he can get them from his distributor for $30-$40 more than our prices. He would rather buy from us and pay less. Say someone charges $200 per brick for primers because they purchased them for $180. Should they charge $50, take a loss, and not have anything to sell to the guy that would pay $200?
    I can understand why gun show vendors charging more for ammunition because there is hardly any ammunition available at pre-pandemic prices. If a gun shop or gun show vendor wants to sell ammunition in very large quantities, they have to buy from Gun Broker. If Gun Broker is currently at $0.80 per round for 9mm, how is it price gouging to sell at $1.00 per round?

Sure, there are some places committed to pre-pandemic pricing but those are the bigger places that also sell other items. They are also bigger chains that have better purchasing power. Smaller shops don't have that kind of pull so they are selling fewer items yet expected to maintain pre-pandemic pricing? Yes, jacking up 9mm to $1 per round in April of 2020 might be considered price gouging. However, in my mind it is harder to make that argument months later when normal sources are sold out nation-wide and will be for the next 12-18 months.

The other day I had some guys buying 5.56 ammunition and speculating how long it would take to quadruple their money. One guy didn't even have a rifle chambered in 5.56 so there are hoarders and price-gougers out there. However, I am also starting to see the business side of things and am realizing that every box of 9mm priced at $0.80 per round is not necessarily set by a owner wanting to price gouge their customers.

I work at a big box store that for the most part has maintained pre-pandemic pricing. I have customers tell me all the time that they would gladly pay double or triple our prices to just get the ammunition they need. So, keep things low and the people hoarding/flipping grab it before everyone else does. Or, raise prices, save it for the people who truly want it, and be called a price-gouger? It is a no-win situation here for gun shops/gun show vendors.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If i was selling any of my stores, I would be looking at my replacement cost, not my original purchase price. But don't worry, I am not selling them at this point.
    I have helped a few very close friends out lately but past that I am locking the storage cabinet. I would let a few handguns and or AR's go at fair prices but we are sitting pat.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I understand that guns are I high demand, but this is getting ridiculous. Gun shops raising prices on guns still available online.
    Glock for $700 while still available readily new if you take the time to look.
    And for the classifieds... all over the place and these are generally for used guns. A used gun should never be more than a new gun. And they are like cars, they depreciate to an extent. I used to buy from INGO users and still do, because they weren’t acting as dealers. They would sell for a fair price. I’m not one to try to cash in on trying times, but me selling my PSA for $600 (what I had into it) was apparently a mistake, because apparently PSA is longer an entry level AR at some of the prices I’m seeing. Sorry for the vent. I prefer FTF legal sales, but not when I can get the same gun new for $100 less. And I get it... if people are willing to spend the money more power to em... not this guy.

It's called "the market".

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I hate myself for ever buying from CTD in the beginning. Only because a friend suggested it. Look at them gouging here.

One thing I have learned at INGO is INGO members have very thin skins when it comes to economics and prices of guns and ammo. Guys that would calmly toughen up and resolve themselves if the face of adversity, get all butt hurt because some places charge more than they think should be charged. I have a theory but why do you think threads like this garner such emotion instead of the resolve most would exhibit in other parts of their lives?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe you should ask the Texas Attorney General.

What does a politician grandstanding on a law that is flat out based on bad economic theory have to do with it?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have helped a few very close friends out lately but past that I am locking the storage cabinet. I would let a few handguns and or AR's go at fair prices but we are sitting pat.
    I'm the same way. Friends and family can basically take from my store right now.
    I might even go so far as to buy stuff for friends who are in need.
    Anyone else is gonna have to find their own way.

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Ammo and reloading components are really out of control. People that have stockpiled the stuff are selling for outrageous prices on gunbroker and getting what they are asking. Last time I check white box 9mm is going for $1 round any 223 $2 Round. Reloading powder and primers are gone. Our local gun shops don’t seem to be gouging the guns too bad. Free market though. We can walk away if we don’t like the price.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ammo and reloading components are really out of control. People that have stockpiled the stuff are selling for outrageous prices on gunbroker and getting what they are asking. Last time I check white box 9mm is going for $1 round any 223 $2 Round. Reloading powder and primers are gone. Our local gun shops don’t seem to be gouging the guns too bad. Free market though. We can walk away if we don’t like the price.

Gold and silver prices are really out of control. People that stockpile the stuff are selling for outrageous prices...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

If the link does not work a standard looking used p320 without mag went for 950 at auction plus about another 15 percent buyers premium, a couple of hundred other guns at similar prices such as a standard looking used 10/22 that went for 475

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    One thing I have learned at INGO is INGO members have very thin skins when it comes to economics and prices of guns and ammo. Guys that would calmly toughen up and resolve themselves if the face of adversity, get all butt hurt because some places charge more than they think should be charged. I have a theory but why do you think threads like this garner such emotion instead of the resolve most would exhibit in other parts of their lives?
    Yep. I just look at prices like that and laugh. But if some guy or gal has money to burn and wants a Colt AR then more power to them.

That said, I won't stop going to the CTD booth at the NRA shows every year just so I can tell them to shove their free hats where the sun don't shine. :cool:

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Cheaper than dirt can charge what they want, but when they misrepresented there quantity available so you think your buying the last one imho that's a little unethical.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    During the last boolit shortage I learned a new to me art. Bought a bow and started shooting leagues in Illinois and Wisconsin. Looks like it is time to start practicing again. I made it to shooting 300 52x indoor 20 yard on my first bow.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I did not think that we would be where we are now, BUT I spent the last few years preparing for a time such as this and those that paid attention did too. How long will this last? I have no idea, but I'm set for a long time to come.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    During the last boolit shortage I learned a new to me art. Bought a bow and started shooting leagues in Illinois and Wisconsin. Looks like it is time to start practicing again. I made it to shooting 300 52x indoor 20 yard on my first bow.

Two shortages ago, about the time I started casting boolits, I got into PCP airguns. Now, I can shoot regular powder ammunition for the rest of my life based on my stores, but the PCP airguns mean that I will never be denied shooting because of a shortage. I could even hunt deer in a pinch with my .45 PCP airguns, should it ever become necessary and the law be damned.

Top Bottom