• ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    124 grain Berry's round nose 9mm @ 1.16 OAL out of a S&W Shield MP2

Does this look like a sign of overpressure? I tried out several different powders and loads the other day and most primers seemed to have this little bubble on them. None of the charges were at or above max according to the Lee guide. These 2 examples are with Accurate #7 @ 6.5 grains and 572 @ 5.5 grains. S&B primers.

Attachments

• 20210616_082121.jpg
      20210616_082121.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 45
    • 20210616_082146.jpg
      20210616_082146.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 45
    • 20210616_082115.jpg
      20210616_082115.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 45

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Are the Berry's bullets the copper washed lead variety? Are you using the lead bullet data? What kind of primers are they and have you ever used them before? I cannot imagine getting too over pressure in that short barrel pistol. That light of a pistol will also really let you know it it is a hot load, does it feel right?

I just looked up the AA#7 data, That looks like a good, safe load. What do the primers look like from different brands of factory ammo?

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Are the Berry's bullets the copper washed lead variety? Are you using the lead bullet data? What kind of primers are they and have you ever used them before? I cannot imagine getting too over pressure in that short barrel pistol. That light of a pistol will also really let you know it it is a hot load, does it feel right?

I just looked up the AA#7 data, That looks like a good, safe load. What do the primers look like from different brands of factory ammo?
    new box of S&B primers. They are old (probably 10+ years) but have been stored in an air tight ammo can. Bullets are copper and I am using lead data (actually listed as copper plated in the lee guide). Feels right when shooting and is accurate. I will have to run some factory ammo through and inspect the brass.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looks more like something related to the firing pin and the back of the chamber. Overpressure usually comes with the primer being squeezed into the space where the back of the chamber contacts the case. I don't see that in the pictures.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Doesn't look overpressure to me. The edges of the primer where they meet the primer pocket of the case are nice and rounded. The primer isn't cratered in the traditional over-pressure sense either. Some of these new polymer pistols, plus Glocks, leave odd marks on fired primers because of either the design of the firing pin hole in the breach face or the shape of the firing pin itself. Firing a variety of factory ammo and examining the results would be a wise move to put your mind at ease. I would not make any decisions based on the results of only a single factory load since different brands and loadings can vary significantly in how they react in a particular gun.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Thanks, guys. Sounds like this is normal. I will shoot some factory ammo at the next outing and if i get the same marks, I will go back to loading up some more rounds.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have seen that with a combination of very hot loads and a large firing pin opening. The primers actually expand into the firing pin opening where they aren’t supported. I have even seen shavings build up and cause light strikes by interfering with firing pin travel. YMMV

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Is it wrong of me to say that I've never seen a firing pin hole shaped like that?

Is it supposed to be that way?

If it is, it wouldn't surprise me that your primers look the way they do.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Is it wrong of me to say that I've never seen a firing pin hole shaped like that?

Is it supposed to be that way?

If it is, it wouldn't surprise me that your primers look the way they do.

I have 2 shields. I never looked at the primers on the first shield because I didn't reload for it but I just looked at the slide on it and they are both the same. Not sure what the reasoning behind it is.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have 2 shields. I never looked at the primers on the first shield because I didn't reload for it but I just looked at the slide on it and they are both the same. Not sure what the reasoning behind it is.
    It looks like wolfhound has the answer. The shape is to prevent primer shavings from building up and causing light primer strikes.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Huh, learning something new...I have a buddy with a Shield. I'll have to check it out.

ETA: Discussion on the S&W forum from 2016

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Looks like primer flow into the firing pin hole to me also. The primers may just have thin cups, try some CCI primers if you can get ahold of a few to see if that helps. Also pay attention when you deprime and deprime to make sure the pocket isn't loose.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Looks like primer flow into the firing pin hole to me also. The primers may just have thin cups, try some CCI primers if you can get ahold of a few to see if that helps. Also pay attention when you deprime and deprime to make sure the pocket isn't loose.
    That's a good point. I have some CCI and Winchester primers I can try out. I only have a handful of cases to inspect but I will do that to the ones I have. I was at an indoor range and most of them ended up down the line or mixed up with other brass.

Top Bottom