• Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    “As uncomfortable as the unshaved femur bone of a mountain goat” :laugh:

“It’ll fire 150 screaming eagles at your enemy...”

Great video, worth a hearty laugh. Thanks for aharing
    I agree on the video, but don't thank me. Thank Itchytriggerfinger for making the gun and loaning it to the guy that made the video.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Guns are like cars. People modify them to have fun, not for the resell value. Youve got your daily driver edc thats stock or mostly stock, then you have your money pits that are probably worth more parted out than sold whole.

That said i picked up a new to me P320 money pit today and im going to enjoy losing my butt on it.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Customizing anything is a matter of taste and intended use. My XP-100s for example, have been built for what I wanted them for. I’ll never sell them for what I have “invested” in them, but knew that going into the build. My 1911s are not going anywhere, so they are set up to suit my taste. Its gratifying to have a range trip and let someone experience a built 1911 compared to a bone stock piece. Back to back comparison is the best way to appreciate a gunsmith that knows their trade.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Probably my most expensive firearm currently... Don't carry it anymore and hardly shoot it which is a shame. Probably can never sell it with going upside by a lot. Customs are great until it's time to go... Enjoy.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1625610261733.jpg
      FB_IMG_1625610261733.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 28
    • FB_IMG_1625610259262.jpg
      FB_IMG_1625610259262.jpg
      38.2 KB · Views: 28
    • FB_IMG_1625610256515.jpg
      FB_IMG_1625610256515.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 28
    • FB_IMG_1625610253595.jpg
      FB_IMG_1625610253595.jpg
      42.7 KB · Views: 25
    • FB_IMG_1625610247494.jpg
      FB_IMG_1625610247494.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 27

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm embarassed to admit my love for the lowly SW22 Victory. It cost a mere $300 and the more I shot it the more I loved it. When I decided to start adding parts I knew that it would be lost money but I doubt that I will ever sell this anyway. View attachment 148092
    I added Tandemkross trigger and hammer. Then some Altamont grips, just because they were on sale.
    24,000 rounds and I'm still in love.
    I like your style!
    I've had 4 or 5 Victorys, & that is just gorgeous.
    I think it's very cool to take an "ordinary" gun & upgrade it some to enjoy shooting it more & the grips are just dynamite! :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I behave myself & spend modestly on guns I buy, keeping an eye on what I pay for any particular gun b/c I never know what I'll keep so I need to be able to sell it to help pay for the next one.
    A nice way of saying I have a reputation as a cheap-arse, haha!

I think this CZ Shadow 2 shown below was the 3rd or 4th CZ I ever bought years ago.
    It was and still is the biggest splurge, paying more for it than any gun then or since: big potatoes for me at the time & still is.

Pic on the bottom is shown as originally bought for $950.
    Pic on top & middle is same gun which now I have $1400 in it.

Little by little I justified upgrading this & that, inside & out.
    The Wizard did some internals, Allen did the Cerakote, with the Hogue grips & stainless steel base plates from Zachcz.
    I thought I'd never sell it b/c I love it more than any gun I've ever held in my hand. :rockwoot:
    I failed to use my usual restraint. :dunno:

A few years back I got to reading the CZ thread & got hooked. :coffee:
    I've owned 10 CZs at last count.
    Only this Shadow 2 & an upgraded CZ Rami have survived waves of "trimming the safe" of all but one other 9mm.

Beautiful Tungsten finish.
    left side x1.jpg
    Tungsten finished pic 7.22.2020.jpg

Before pic, with ugly Urban Gray finish, which I referred to as dirty diaper.
    pic Shadow 2 Urban Grey.png

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't have pics.

But I know of a guy who, years ago, bought a used Ruger 22/45 for $250.

And then he bought a $250 threaded PacLite upper for it. Then there was the $250 + $200 suppressor.

Then there's the extra rail segment and the Burris FF II.

Then there's the pile of used magazines he lucked into in a gun shop.

That's become a quite expensive cheap gun.
    Best gun hobby confession I've heard in a long time!
    Nothing wrong with having a $1000+ .22LR pistol! :thumbsup:
    Better the wife not know, however, but all the 22LR aficionados here understand.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Best gun hobby confession I've heard in a long time!
    Nothing wrong with having a $1000+ .22LR pistol! :thumbsup:
    Better the wife not know, however, but all the 22LR aficionados here understand.
    I asked him. The guy said that almost all of the major expenses were done so long ago that she's forgotten.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    It took a looong time but I have my wife convinced and somewhat rightfully so that guns are a investment. Not all guns. Just the right guns..probably not a glock 19 but blue steel and wood or stainless...lol. if bought right and held a few years you will always get your money back. And probably some profit Problem is I just never want my money back. I love them all.
    And so will my Children. But...if something happened I could raise alot of cash fairly quick

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It took a looong time but I have my wife convinced and somewhat rightfully so that guns are a investment. Not all guns. Just the right guns..probably not a glock 19 but blue steel and wood or stainless...lol. if bought right and held a few years you will always get your money back. And probably some profit Problem is I just never want my money back. I love them all.
    And so will my Children. But...if something happened I could raise alot of cash fairly quick
    I haven't bought many guns in the past 1.5 yrs b/c of Covid elevated prices, but when I did I had to pay a little a more than "normal."
    As I have sold those same guns lately, I uncharacteristically sometimes would lose a little ($25-$50) or at least broke even.
    My wife discovered over time that it wasn't the cost of the gun since that is usually fully recovered.

It was range fees, holsters, rails, rings, scopes, red dots, ammo, targets and upgrades that are the huge true expenses that are never recovered.
    I have kept track of my expenses (guns on another ledger) over the past 4 yrs.
    Costs have nearly doubled every year in the first 3 yrs, but this year I'm on track to spend 1/3 less than last year.
    Last year's costs were escalated b/c of sorting through .22 rifles, since I had access to an outdoor range .

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I haven't bought many guns in the past 1.5 yrs b/c of Covid elevated prices, but when I did I had to pay a little a more than "normal."
    As I have sold those same guns lately, I uncharacteristically sometimes would lose a little ($25-$50) or at least broke even.
    My wife discovered over time that it wasn't the cost of the gun since that is usually fully recovered.

It was range fees, holsters, rails, rings, scopes, red dots, ammo, targets and upgrades that are the huge true expenses that are never recovered.
    Costs have nearly doubled every year in the first 3 yrs, but this year I'm on track to spend 1/3 less than last year.
    Last year's costs were escalated b/c of sorting through .22 rifles, since I had access to an outdoor range .
    Those are very valid points. But if it wasn't gun stuff it would be fishing stuff golfing stuff and what not. At least for me. I'm a person that just needs hobby for a distraction from the day to day. Fortunately the wife has her hobbies so I guess it's a trade off. If she were to ever get into shooting I would have it made...lol. She just won't take to it. I wish she would.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Many many moons ago, I told my wife a story about "one that got away". Literally.

I saw an HK P7 for sale in the used case at the Castleton Gander Mountain.

For $650. They were regularly over $1000 at that point in time. It was mis-marked as a standard PSP model - and priced accordingly.

I didn't buy it because I didn't have the opportunity to talk to her first.

Later in the work day when I finally did get to speak with her and got the OK - it was gone. Someone else had for sure noticed the mistake and bought it.

Since telling her about that, I have the general approval to jump on GOOD deals if/when I see them. Of course, she looked me in the eye and said "I trust you to make the right decision".

So tacit approval and non-approval at the same time. LOL

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I do find that I talk myself out of some new gun purchases with the thought that the gun may be cheap, but the ammo to run it before carry and the holster and spare mags to carry with it will kill the budget. Buying copies of what you already have does help with that

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I do find that I talk myself out of some new gun purchases with the thought that the gun may be cheap, but the ammo to run it before carry and the holster and spare mags to carry with it will kill the budget. Buying copies of what you already have does help with that
    Very smart! :thumbsup:
    I learned long time ago not to buy a gun just b/c it was a great deal b/c of that very reason.
    I have trimmed calibers, & I still think of a SW MP Shield .45 acp that I really liked, but I didn't want to have to keep .45 acp ammo in stock.
    I just recently sold a .32 acp that I loved & intended to keep forever but realized I didn't want to buy the ammo & last time I shot it realized the joy was gone.
    Still wish I had that Shield .45 though, haha! :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom