• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That’s not a bad thought except if I were a gunsmith, I’d want to do what I wanted to someone’s gun, then shoot it for a couple of years before sending them the bill. I don’t know if I’d have many customers that would be ok with that :/
    Maybe that's why some gunsmiths have such "long waiting lists"...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't have pics.

But I know of a guy who, years ago, bought a used Ruger 22/45 for $250.

And then he bought a $250 threaded PacLite upper for it. Then there was the $250 + $200 suppressor.

Then there's the extra rail segment and the Burris FF II.

Then there's the pile of used magazines he lucked into in a gun shop.

That's become a quite expensive cheap gun.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Pretty much any customization of a gun is over-investment from a selling price perspective, but it can make for an awesome gun, sometimes one of a kind. A lot of the guns pictured here are amazing. Any time I decide to want to customize something, I know I'll never get the money back if I decide to sell it and that's okay.

What's irritating to me, from a over-investment perspective, is when I buy extra mags and other extras for the gun that I'll never get that extra money back on. Case in point, I decided to try out a Beretta APX Centurion due to the low price and fact that you can switch out the frame like on a Sig P320. For the price (~$350) I ended up with a decent little gun. A bit chunky with a kinda spongy trigger, but overall pretty nice. The ability to swap the frames is cool, so I bought an OD frame for it and some extra mags. Because of that, I have way more money in the darn thing than I'd ever get back, especially since the mags were bought during the scamdemic and were overpriced... :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thought about a full redo on this one, but will add epoxy to the grips to replace what has shrunk and ordered a new BRC steel ejector shroud (since orig alum was loose and beat up).

image000000 (2).jpg

Problem is a new Black Hills hunting rig/belt is too new for the look of the old gun. Hmmmmm

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Im kinda deep on a Buckmark 5.5.
    Put a new stainless Contour bbl and reflex on it.

My eyes aint the best these days.
    And my kid likes to shoot .22rf.....and w a port in her chest on the right side and being right handed.....handguns it is.

So got one set up for her and she'll proly lay claim to it. Worth the expense if she does. i snagged an old High Standard in case. Older now, didnt like HS when younger. Could end up losing either gun to her LOL

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a CZ 75B Compact in .40 that is a contender for this thread. The 75B Compact in .40 was CZs first gun in .40 I believe and it was not well thought out. They dropped a .40 barrel in a 9mm slide and cut the spring house back for additional travel to make up for the added energy.

To run, I have to use as heavy a spring as I can find but the heavier springs bind and only last about 50 rounds before misdeeds start happening again. So, I dropped $100 on a DPMS recoil system and it failed completely after 10 rounds. DPMS configured a new system based on measurements from this gun and that one lasted about 100 rounds.

So, I tried heavier hammer springs to tame slide velocity and was able to get about 200 rounds between recoil spring changes. Then, I found a 40P slide that is significantly heavier and the gun is now a runner, but with an odd sight cut that has no sights.

This is the point where I put this project aside for now since I want to do an RMR and Cajun Gun Works Pro package on. I'm close to a grand into it now and have another grand to go for a gun that has less capacity than my G23 but weighs twice as much.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've only been tempted to have a few slides titanium nitride coated, but I'm not sure how durable that is. Would that be harder than cerakote? Would it last longer? Is it worth doing?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm fond of FNPs (hammer fired FNs) and have a number of 40s and 9s, but I always wanted one in 357 sig. They only made the factory gun for one year, and thus it is too collectible. Every time I saw a decent one on WalletBreaker it went for well over $1000 which was more than I wanted to invest in something I wanted to shoot and not collect.
    EFK made conversion barrels, not for the FNPs anymore and have never ever seen one for sale

EFK does still make a barrel for the FNX, so I ordered a barrel and bought a gently used FNX 40. So now I have an FN in 357 sig, but because the X uses different mags than the Ps, I also had to invest in mags. I wound up getting just north of $900 into it which likely isn't recoverable but wouldn't sell it anyway

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I leave all my handguns stock. The most I've ever done to one is add Talon grips and put Shield Arms mag release on it for their mags.
    I seem to always change the trigger or get a trigger job. I cannot stand a bad trigger. Only guns I liked stock trigger and never changed were the Canik TP9 series. Very good factory triggers.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A few of mine are close to stock. I don't know if I've ever seen a stock set of sights that I like. Even my Legion needs sights. People rave over the Legion sights but a green front dot does not work with my color vision issues

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I seem to always change the trigger or get a trigger job. I cannot stand a bad trigger. Only guns I liked stock trigger and never changed were the Canik TP9 series. Very good factory triggers.

All my handguns are Glocks and I haven't really shot any other handgun in the last eighteen years (at least not extensively). I'm used to the trigger and don't see any need for improvement, but I'm also not a huge trigger snob.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Mine was a Browning High-Power in .40 that I sent to Cylinder and Slide for trigger work, sights, checkering, and high polish reblue. The customized work didn't pay off in that caliber. Pretty sure a 9mm woulda been a better investment!

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    My H&K VP9 that I got in 2017, has a 2020 slide on it, so I can mount an optic on it. So far that is the most I have spent on a handgun.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I am constantly tinkering my guns and modding them to how I want them. It does not take too long to turn a $500 dollar Glock into a $1200 Glock.....
    Same with buying a factory built AR. I spent so much money on getting them where I wanted them that I just learned how to build them from the components I wanted instead. But that's a whole other addiction.....

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I put too much in a Stainless Springfield .45. I really wanted a Les Baer Premier II but did not want to commit the cash all at once. I bought the Springfield, and sent it to Cylinder and Slide for a barrel and accurizing. That was already expensive. Then I thought it needed to be a race gun so I sent the slide to get milled for BoMar sights and got a Compensated Barrel set up and flared mag well. While I was at it I went with Ambi controls. Then I decided I needed an accurail frame job. After deciding I did not want a race gun, I ended up putting a KART bullseye barrel and bushing in it. It was a very accurate pistol. About like a Les Baer Premier II, Except I had about an extra $1000 in it. When I sold it, I only got a little more than the Springfield was worth stock and did not get much for all the extra parts.

I just had to write it of as the cost of the hobby because I did get to shoot bullseye, action pistol, IDPA and Ipsc with it along the way. And it was still cheaper than any version of motor racing, especially when you grenade an engine.

I know a man that did worse. He started with a Norinco .45. He put a bunch of money in it, and it did shoot really well. But it was still a Norinco. He could not find anyone to buy it no matter how cheap.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom