• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deimos

Plinker
    Nov 25, 2016
    Mooresville
    So I’m 4000+ miles away from my home country/city and living in the US… and I happen to stumble across a 1828 percussion pistol made by an old time English gunsmith named Robert Williamson… Who was born, worked & lived in the small city of Hull… Which is the city I was born/lived in for most of my life. Never in my life would I thought I would find a small piece of my cities history in a small gun shop in the Midwest. It’s blown my mind.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg Robert Williamson of Hull 2.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those old British made firearms are pretty cool. The craftsmanship etc. A friend owns 500 guns on the west side of indy.
    He has been importing these from England for years. Mainly long guns and double rifles but I really enjoy fondling and ogling over these fantastic examples.

Great find.

Deimos

Plinker
    Nov 25, 2016
    Mooresville
    I found this online. If you search it for Williamson, there are 3 hits (all for Kingston upon Hull). Thomas Williamson was a gunsmith in 1645. Gunsmith Robert Hull is listed in 1816 and 1828 entries. Perhaps there was a tradition of gunsmithing in the Williamson family in Hull.

Pretty neat, I'm sure there was. During my research I found there was another fairly famous gunsmith from that era called George Wallis and his son George Wallis Jr. They were gunsmiths but also collectors. George Wallis had a large collection which he turned into one of the first arms museums in Europe. He also improved the whale gun with double set triggers and by enclosing the flint/powder to stop it from getting ruined by the elements at sea.

Now I need one of his rifles/pistols too haha.

Top Bottom