• ...and so much more!
  • lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Today is the launch of our updated website. Take a look: Police | Fire | EMS | Tactical ? Nelson & Co.

The design is a different style - more of a 'mobile first' concept. It departs from static menus. The menu and the cart actually reside off the screen and slide in when you click menu or cart (like you usually see on handheld devices). It is cool 'tech' but more than that it gives space for 'stuff' where otherwise there would be menus and navigation. Its clean. Its easier to get to any screen with less clicks. But is it easy for other people (besides the guy who works on it everyday) to use? It is, of course, a work in progress (adding more to it everyday); but it sure would be awesome if any of you had some feedback to share about it.

Here's some insight into our thinking about our new company -- we have been described as a 'cop shop'. And we accept that, but cringe a little when we do. Our brand is more, so much more than just that. At least, that is what we are trying to build - something more. We have very strong historical roots in the tactical training and nylon gear world, and a very strong retail background -- two things that 'cop shops' are traditionally not very good at. A traditional cop-shop is probably better at hemming and shiny buttons than we are right now, but we'll catch up with those. But clean merchandising and an emphasis on what works and what doesn't are usually lost in a 'cop shop'. And many (most?) aren't very friendly or inviting to the non-sworn.

The target customer for Nelson & Co. is public safety -- we are Public Safety Outfitters. However, we live within an expanded definition of what that means. Public safety is the police officer and sheriff's deputy for sure. Of course it includes the firefighters and the paramedics. But it is also the citizen with the interests in shooting and personal safety who carries with them the responsibility of deadly force, on the range and in their 'regular' lives everyday. The citizen is more likely to be first on the scene than those who are dispatched - they're there when it happens! We include all of these groups in our family - we are here for the 'good guys'.

So, it would be very appreciated if you could take a few minutes, just a few, to look at our new web offering and reply here about how it 'feels' and how you like it. Ask your 'good guy' friends to take a look at it too, if you don't mind. Maybe when you read this, share this with others who might not otherwise see it so their opinion can be registered too. Comments on this thread are welcome and encouraged. But also, even more eagerly we wait to learn if you think we are on the right track of including everyone who is righteously on our side - the good guys who identify the same way we do.

How are we doing?

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Thank you all for the feedback you have been sending. I really appreciate it!

Getting the page right is important, so I've been listening intently -- feedback has been received and installed. Spent the last week adding and adjusting based on what has been revealed.
    icon_smile.gif

1. Added a mega menu navigation that is always on the screen. Organized into three simple main categories, but many sub categories to make getting to the place you want easier.

2. Made better use of imagery from all of the professions and users who shop at Nelson & Co. Not just swat guys or deputies, but all of the groups who make up our good-guy family.

3. Added an easy to use page for finding our store location and a handy 'Contact Us' tab on every page. Trying to make it easy to get help or shop In-person.

How'd I do? Better? What are your thoughts now?

www.nelsonuniform.com

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    No hours listed for the store, though. I'll be in town on Wednesday and might stop in :)

Cool! Our listed hours while we are doing our 'soft open' are 10 to 4. They will expand to 10 to 6 after we 'hard open'.

What time are you coming through?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Looks good on my laptop. Clean logo and a bunch of images. Kind of pintrestish. I'll check on my phone.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Today, we launched another update to the Full Service Uniforms and Tactical Equipment for First Responders ? Nelson & Co. website. The challenge is always: How to get the broadest amount of product into the easiest to understand navigation. So, with this version (which I think is a leap forward, if I do say so myself) we moved from a 'horizontal' menu that each had four main categories to a Vertical menu that has 19 different departments. It feels like navigating to the sub categories is way friendlier now.

Since our catalog of products continues to expand, with this release we also included the ability to navigate by manufacturer - not just category. I know when I am looking for something on the web, I like to get right to my favorite brands. so, we added that ability.

Finally, we also moved the search box front and center - it is the primary means of searching for some users, so it should never be hidden in the Upper corner like it was. Now, there is no question where the search function is!

As usual, I would appreciate any feedback - what are you thoughts on this version? What can be better? :) Thanks!

Top Bottom