• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Mitsu has always been the chryco of Japan. Outside the US Suzuki has flirted with top 3, just couldn't gain traction in the US(thanks GM).
    I forgot about Mitsu & that was the one that I pegged as the Chrysler in my mind :nono: & not Mazda.

Over 4 yrs ago when I bought the 2015 Subi (in 2018), I thought I'd driven everything for the wife to test out, but Mazda was not even on my radar, unfortunately. :scratch:
    If I'd known about the tranny, I would have. :dunno:
    I will definitely check out the Mazda line IF I have to buy another. :wallbash:

The 4WD of the Forester limited it to 25 mpg all the time, even on trips when going to TN or even Marietta.
    I would like the AWD better, I think, just to get the 1-2 mpg more??
    But, I've read where some say there is only a negligible difference in mpg between the 4WD & the AWD, but don't delineate whether that means 1 or 2 or 3 mpg?
    I would drive to play with the cmp readout getting as high as 30+ traveling 40 mph going to Greenwood the back way & not the expressway, haha!

I hope all these musing are lost b/c my Subi is repairable! :nailbite:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We are a Korean car family. Have been since 2002. They are usually cheaper, hold up to my abuse and get good fuel economy and have been easy and cheap to work on. Wife's car ('23 Seltos FWD) is averaging 33-34mpg at her New Jersey style speeds/habits.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We are a Korean car family. Have been since 2002. They are usually cheaper, hold up to my abuse and get good fuel economy and have been easy and cheap to work on. Wife's car ('23 Seltos FWD) is averaging 33-34mpg at her New Jersey style speeds/habits.
    Which are the Korean cars?
    Not familiar with the name "Seltos" at all.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Hyundai and Kia. Kia Seltos is a forrester sized cuv based on the common small car platform they’ve been using for years. Think Soul but less funky and more usable space.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

It's totaled.
    Found out about 2:30 pm.
    John, Allen's "mediator" between the shop & the insurance for Diamond Collision was patient enough to explain why it was totaled.
    Some of the experienced body shop people here have hinted exactly what the issue would be with that inner high strength post that connects everything together being the pivotal decision on its viability of being repaired.

I have to go tomorrow to Avon to get my license & drop off the 2nd set of keys.
    Wouldn't have to do that if I would have known for sure what the verdict would be.
    I enjoyed being in denial & truly thought I might get lucky!

I'll find out what the payout is in 2-3 days.
    I started my homework in looking up prices to buy my car last night.
    I will have my ducks in a row if the offer comes in low on what my research indicates.
    That is what happened when my son's '94 del sol got totaled.
    When I was told the payout & made a big list & got more for it than what their 1st offer was, but not much.
    Having new tires, brakes all the way around & wheel bearings doesn't increase its value since those are maintenance items, but I mentioned them to the adjuster.
    I also mentioned about the initial Ziebart $1000 treatments & the annual reapplications that are costly, haha!
    To ad insult to injury, as I was driving the Subi to Avon this week, I noticed there was a full tank of gas, haha!

If it cost too much to buy an excellent certified used car, I'll just buy a new Subaru Forester.
    My wife won't let me get the base model since she is used to the heated seats, haha!
    She would love the hydraulic trunk deck, as well, but I won't pay for the upgrade, but maybe I should, haha!
    I am going to check into the Mazda SUV that was recommended to me since I was told they don't have the CVT tranny.
    We could give the Honda CR-V another look as well as the Toyota RAV.

I have to go out of town in another week (12-18), so we need to get something lined up before I go or at least as soon as I get back.
    Erie did extend the rental for 20 more days, which is great, but I'll be gone 7 of those days!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hyundai and Kia. Kia Seltos is a forrester sized cuv based on the common small car platform they’ve been using for years. Think Soul but less funky and more usable space.
    That's the only ones I could think of.
    They are not rated as reliable as Toyota, Honda, Subaru or Mazda & that's really the benchmark I use.
    I want to buy my last car that will last 200,000 miles w/o any major issues.
    Before then, my kids will probably do an intervention & take my keys away, haha!
    I just found out the wife isn't open to the Korean SUVs, but that's my fault b/c I've never mentioned them in my last 2 car buying adventures.
    We had Corollas for 30 yrs for all the obvious reasons.
    Never had to replace a single major item.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That's what I was banking on. Took the wife to the Hyundai dealer and their price on a Sonata was the same as a Camry. The Camry had a better ride and better material inside. That's where she is now, trying to find a Mazda for her to take for a drive.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area

:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

It's totaled.

Having new tires, brakes all the way around & wheel bearings doesn't increase its value since those are maintenance items, but I mentioned them to the adjuster.
    I also mentioned about the initial Ziebart $1000 treatments & the annual reapplications that are costly, haha!
    To ad insult to injury, as I was driving the Subi to Avon this week, I noticed there was a full tank of gas, haha!
    That`s too bad ....I know you were hoping for a fix . I would hate to be looking for a replacement with today`s market .
    Hope you get a nice settlement though .................
    ( You might mention that you also had a couple dozen eggs in the back that you just bought that got broken )

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I wonder what a rough fix, just to get it safe on the road, would cost? Junkyard doors, etc.

Our Durango was totalled a couple years ago, buddy backed into it with his flatbed truck. Insurance paid us $12000 with me keeping the car, I paid the body shop $3500 to fix it with used parts, and pocketed the other $8500.

Even if you didn't want to drive something with a rebuilt title, you could probably sell it for a profit.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

It's totaled.
    John, Allen's "mediator" between the shop & the insurance for Diamond Collision was patient enough to explain why it was totaled.
    Some of the experienced body shop people here have hinted exactly what the issue would be with that inner high strength post that connects everything together being the pivotal decision on its viability of being repaired.

I have to go tomorrow to Avon to get my license & drop off the 2nd set of keys.
    Wouldn't have to do that if I would have known for sure what the verdict would be.
    I enjoyed being in denial & truly thought I might get lucky!

I'll find out what the payout is in 2-3 days.
    I started my homework in looking up prices to buy my car last night.
    I will have my ducks in a row if the offer comes in low on what my research indicates.
    That is what happened when my son's '94 del sol got totaled.
    When I was told the payout & made a big list & got more for it than what their 1st offer was, but not much.

If it cost too much to buy an excellent certified used car, I'll just buy a new Subaru Forester.
    My wife won't let me get the base model since she is used to the heated seats, haha!
    She would love the hydraulic trunk deck, as well, but I won't pay for the upgrade, but maybe I should, haha!
    I am going to check into the Mazda SUV that was recommended to me since I was told they don't have the CVT tranny.
    We could give the Honda CR-V another look as well as the Toyota RAV.

I have to go out of town in another week (12-18), so we need to get something lined up before I go or at least as soon as I get back.
    Erie did extend the rental for 20 more days, which is great, but I'll be gone 7 of those days!
    Just curious are you going through your own carrier or af company? You may wish to see which value each of them may present and go with the highest.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wonder what a rough fix, just to get it safe on the road, would cost? Junkyard doors, etc.

Our Durango was totaled a couple years ago, buddy backed into it with his flatbed truck. Insurance paid us $12000 with me keeping the car, I paid the body shop $3500 to fix it with used parts, and pocketed the other $8500.

Even if you didn't want to drive something with a rebuilt title, you could probably sell it for a profit.
    In my 20s & 30s I drove cars that a friend rebuilt when totaled.
    I have no problem with the concept.
    But, the wife would, haha!
    If it was for my own use, I'd check into it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just curious are you going through your own carrier or af company? You may wish to see which value each of them may present and go with the highest.
    Not familiar with this process of payment from an insurance company for a total vehicle.
    Don't know anything about getting bids from another carrier on my wrecked vehicle.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That`s too bad ....I know you were hoping for a fix . I would hate to be looking for a replacement with today`s market .
    Hope you get a nice settlement though .................
    ( You might mention that you also had a couple dozen eggs in the back that you just bought that got broken )
    Funniest thing I've heard all day! :lmfao:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That's what I was banking on. Took the wife to the Hyundai dealer and their price on a Sonata was the same as a Camry. The Camry had a better ride and better material inside. That's where she is now, trying to find a Mazda for her to take for a drive.
    Depends on the trim level. Lower levels still have so many features you don’t get in the Japanese brands and to be honest their infotainment is the easiest to operate. I sling parts for Honda for a decade. I can tell you they are no more reliable than any other brand. Same for Toyota. The brig two have been living off their reputation for the last decade. I won’t buy one.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Not familiar with this process of payment from an insurance company for a total vehicle.
    Don't know anything about getting bids from another carrier on my wrecked vehicle.
    So readers digest version basically 3 ways to have your loss covered.

1 First Party coverage ie you carry collision coverage

2 you have UMPD uninsured or under insured coverage

3 You file a claim with the at fault carrie. For instance the at fault driver was insured with XYZ insurance a quick search will yield the contact numbers for you to call them and file a claim.

Not trying to tell you what to to do just wanted to offer a suggestion for you to consider. Two offers of settlement may prove useful especially in this inflated market.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Our Durango was totalled a couple years ago, buddy backed into it with his flatbed truck. Insurance paid us $12000 with me keeping the car, I paid the body shop $3500 to fix it with used parts, and pocketed the other $8500.

Good luck finding usable junkyard doors at this point. Last car we went through 4 fronts and 3 rear to get actual fixable doors. Still required another 5-6 hours of labor per door to make them usable.

Supply chain issues slowing new car production means less getting scrapped and more repaired. Puts a real strain on the salvage yards trying to find parts that haven’t already been damaged.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Depends on the trim level. Lower levels still have so many features you don’t get in the Japanese brands and to be honest their infotainment is the easiest to operate. I sling parts for Honda for a decade. I can tell you they are no more reliable than any other brand. Same for Toyota. The brig two have been living off their reputation for the last decade. I won’t buy one.
    The same level of trim. Both 1 step up from base. The price difference in MSRP was like $700. Then apparently all the dealers up here are adding a paint protection stuff on everything and after that the price was less than $70 between them. To me the Yota was significantly quieter on the road, peppier, better shifts and better interior. The only thing Hyundai had better that I liked was the warranty.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

For what it's worth, the newer Forester and Outback are much more refined than your old one (from my research). They did major upgrades to the platform in '19. They're quieter, more comfortable, and ride nicer. My wifes 2020 Limited model is a pleasure to drive, CVT and all. If you didn't know it had a CVT, you wouldn't notice it.

My '21 Outback Limited XT, with the turbo motor, is double more gooderer than I describe above. The upgraded radio package is worth it, if you like music.

Both models will haul a lot of stuff, and they've really opened up the loading width on the back hatch to make it easy to load stuff.

Good luck with the whole process.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I drive a 2019 Forester I bought new in 2018. Just hit 55,000 miles and I have had zero issues. It is one up from the base I think and it does have the power lift gate. That is a nice feature.

2019 was the redesign year for the Forester and they made several improvements.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Check out the Chevy Equinox. I had the choice of a '20 Forester or a '20 Equinox (both fully loaded) back in 2019 as a new company car. I test drove them both and the Equinox was a better vehicle. 162k problem free miles so far and my '23 Equinox should be in soon.

FWIW, my previous company car was a loaded '18 Forester...

Top Bottom