• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not necessarily.... it depends on the warranty. With Fords and Mopars you can buy a factory esp which is often well worth it... I'm not sure what the Koreans offer, but if it's only a 3rd party, I whole heartedly agree...
    CPO gets the 10/100 but that is part of the car. If they’re charging it’s a 3rd party.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    CPO gets the 10/100 but that is part of the car. If they’re charging it’s a 3rd party.
    Is that a Hyundai thing only? I know other brands have first party as well as third party. Dealers seem to want to push 3rd party as I believe the mark up/dealer cut is higher on those, and they will try and not tell you about a first party option in some cases.

That said, not sure if first party is available on used vehicles.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Is that a Hyundai thing only? I know other brands have first party as well as third party. Dealers seem to want to push 3rd party as I believe the mark up/dealer cut is higher on those, and they will try and not tell you about a first party option in some cases.

That said, not sure if first party is available on used vehicles.
    It is on Fords and Mopars...

And there are dealers that deeply discount those factory ESPs...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not sure if that's 100% correct. Used Hyundais get 5 years/60k mile warranty for the second owner, and I think that Hyundai offers an extension on the factory warranty for an additional charge. I wouldn't purchase an aftermarket warranty, but if I was going to keep the vehicle for a long time, I'd definitely pay $300 a year for extended coverage on a factory warranty. Depending on trim level, there can be a heck of a lot to go wrong (electronics) on a 2021 vehicle vs and older one.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not sure if that's 100% correct. Used Hyundais get 5 years/60k mile warranty for the second owner, and I think that Hyundai offers an extension on the factory warranty for an additional charge. I wouldn't purchase an aftermarket warranty, but if I was going to keep the vehicle for a long time, I'd definitely pay $300 a year for extended coverage on a factory warranty. Depending on trim level, there can be a heck of a lot to go wrong (electronics) on a 2021 vehicle vs and older one.
    Certified pre owned get 10/100. I almost bought one a week ago. But they have to be certified, have to be under x miles and years and no history of accidents or repairs.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Looks like they do sell a Hyundai plan through their finance arm. Not sure how those will work and can only hope they work better than the rest.

I still suggest putting that money away on your own. If you don’t need it you not only save that initial cash but whatever interest you gain from it as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    2021 Hyundai Tucson turned over 30,000 miles today.
    Dropped it off at Ziebart.
    Returned rental: hated the GM Trax.

Was at Napleton Hyundai (E. 96th/Keystone) at 9 am to see about the extended warranty.
    My finance guy wasn't in yet but I got to deal with the guy who manages 4 dealerships.
    He was able to answer a boatload of questions I had.
    I was still able to get the $1500 price I was quoted when I turned down the $2000, then turned down the $1500 final offer, haha!
    Extended warranty to 100,000 miles/10 yrs.
    I have 2.8 yrs left on the original 5 yrs, but I wanted the full 10 yrs.

Found out I don't have the SEL model, but the Value model, which is only 1 step above base model
    (like my Forester Premium), which doesn't have all the features of the newer SEL models, like the liftgate & dual climate controls.
    Since the car was originally bought & serviced there I got a complete print out of the work done to it for my maintenance records.
    Nothing of note except a knock sensor.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So a '21 is a GDI engine. make sure that you get the top end service done (if i hasn't been) and keep a fresh PCV valve in there. Helps keep the oil gunk off the valves since they don't have fuel washing over them. On GDI engines running top tier fuel does help. Adding a catch can can also help with some of the gunk build up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So a '21 is a GDI engine. make sure that you get the top end service done (if i hasn't been) and keep a fresh PCV valve in there. Helps keep the oil gunk off the valves since they don't have fuel washing over them. On GDI engines running top tier fuel does help. Adding a catch can can also help with some of the gunk build up.
    :thumbsup:
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I spent the last 45 minutes looking into it & you're not kidding: a ton of articles addressing the GDI engine from many manufacturers.
    Not having worked on my engines for decades now, I'll check into the PCV valve replacement.
    How often is "fresh?"

I buy Lucas fuel injection by the gallon.
    Should be using it every tankful with the GDI engine.
    I usually just use it when I go on trips that take a tank of gas twice/year in my other vehicles over the years.

download.jpg

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    :thumbsup:
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I spent the last 45 minutes looking into it & you're not kidding: a ton of articles addressing the GDI engine from many manufacturers.
    Not having worked on my engines for decades now, I'll check into the PCV valve replacement.
    How often is "fresh?"

I buy Lucas fuel injection by the gallon.
    Should be using it every tankful with the GDI engine.
    I usually just use it when I go on trips that take a tank of gas twice/year in my other vehicles over the years.

View attachment 253443
    Won’t do anything. The problem is the fuel isn’t being sprayed into the intake tract above the valve and is shot directly into the cylinder like a diesel. No fuel to wash off the normal oil and debris that bakes on there.

15-30k miles is probably about right. For both the valve and top engine clean. I do seafoam in the intake and let it sit then make a smoke show in the neighborhood. Clear the codes and good to go.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom