• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    So, I've been OC'ing every day everywhere for the last couple years. I've not been hassled anywhere I've been (Kroger, Target, several northside bars, even my credit union, etc.)...... until recently.

Suddenly a month ago my local neighborhood bar decided they don't like it anymore and decided to change their policy and posted a View attachment 217087 on their doors.
    Last time I walked in I was asked to leave it in my car. I simply left and I haven't been back since.

I have been playing pool in the American Poolplayers Association for 7 years now, ever since my wife passed away (something to keep me busy and possibly meet someone new). My team captain (retired Army Ranger) and I, as well as several others in the league have been carrying at matches held at our "home" bar for years without incident. Weekly matches have us playing from 7pm to usually around midnight every Thursday.

Then 2 weeks ago, a league member on another team who was stinkin drunk harassed my captain and I for a couple hours screaming at us about "why do you need to carry a gun in a bar?" and "guns don't belong in bars", "I could snatch that gun from you and shoot you with it". Now, that bar has suddenly decided that guns are no longer allowed. The bar owner told us last week that would be the last night we would be allowed to carry there.

I enjoy playing and like the distraction and challenge playing pool brings me, but I don't feel I can compromise my principles; the right to defend myself and others around me should the need arise.
    There are 3 more matches left this season and I am considering sending my team the following note:

I don't plan on spending any more money there on supper and beer while there for the rest of the season.
    Is it worth it to give up a fun, relatively inexpensive hobby/activity for this or is this not the hill to "die" on?

EDIT: The staff there knows us well and that we are trustworthy, responsible patron. None of us has ever caused any trouble either with firearms or alcohol. I consume 1 beer per hour, just enough to stay a little loose and calm while playing.
    Here is why I’ve never been a fan of OC and this is only one of several videos out there where someone swipes it & runs off with it.
    There is a saying-it is quicker to act, than react!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    This thread isn't about OC vs CC their are threads for that already.

This is about dumb kneejerk policies many places have instituted recently and my decision to continue doing business with them or not.

Also not sure how well that holster had any retention on it, can't tell in the low quality video. I guarantee you won't be able to do that with my holster. And I keep my eyes open for things like that - situational awareness. I don't take carrying lightly like that dude seems to be.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Sounds like the one that needed to be banned, was the drunk.

Bars are for drunks. It is their home range.

The drunk that threw a fit probably had the time of his life.

He got to be hammered in public and gripe and drunk jaw strangers for hours. He got to lecture people on his opinions and was able to turn his opinion onto your problem! What a day for a drunk!!

What else do you expect in a bar?

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Note? I must have missed that. Anyway, without reading that I would suggest the truth without the option for debate.

I would tell the owner your commitment to your friends is important to you, and once that commitment ends you will not be back. Indicating you are looking for other venues is also warranted. After that CC whatever you can to not let your friends down and let the situation burn out.

I lived in Ohio when they first passed CC in 2004 and original bill was loaded with poison pills. No guns signs carrying the weight of law was one of them. It was a much worse situation than we face here in Indiana. We had a huge list of places to not patronize and would have to mount campaigns calling and writing letters to posted establishments. It was exhausting.

That habit extends to this day. I still personally boycott openly anti-gun establishments and businesses.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Honestly, with EVERY person that I have EVER witnessed open carrying in public, I could have EASILY taken their firearm from them. Heck, in 30 seconds or less I could teach a high-school kid to do it.

So, now that you've foolishly open carried to the point that it has drawn everyone's attention and caused business owners to take action, you have 2 choices. First option is carry concealed and hope that nobody notices (and they will notice because now they are looking for it on you). With this option, when you get caught, it will actually be a crime in Indiana because YOU specifically have been warned. 2nd choice is don't take a firearm into those places whether that means you go in unarmed or you just don't go in.

On behalf of all responsible gun owners who carry concealed, thank you for "exercising your legal rights" and screwing things up for the rest of us.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Do what I always do. Carry concealed and avoid unwarranted and unnecessary confrontations and conversations about my armed/not armed status. Full size concealed carry takes a little more work and/or better equipment but is easily doable. For pool playing, I'd strongly consider appendix carry.
    Just do not OC because you are always asking for a confrontation with some woke idiot more often than not. CC means concealed; keep it under wraps and avoid issues.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    And while I’m at it why not ?

Honestly, with EVERY person that I have EVER witnessed open carrying in public, I could have EASILY taken their firearm from them. Heck, in 30 seconds or less I could teach a high-school kid to do it.

So, now that you've foolishly open carried to the point that it has drawn everyone's attention and caused business owners to take action, you have 2 choices. First option is carry concealed and hope that nobody notices (and they will notice because now they are looking for it on you). With this option, when you get caught, it will actually be a crime in Indiana because YOU specifically have been warned. 2nd choice is don't take a firearm into those places whether that means you go in unarmed or you just don't go in.

On behalf of all responsible gun owners who carry concealed, thank you for "exercising your legal rights" and screwing things up for the rest of us.

Relax Francis.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why do we feel the need to lecture a grown adult on what is legal in this state? If he prefers OC it isn't your time to jump on the soap box, go to the sticky and wax poetic there.

Theres a time and place for OC anyway. All these street cops and military can't be wrong or they'd all switch to Civilian clothes and quietly CC like ninjas.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Dang you could take every cop you've ever seen gun? Dang
    bad-ba.gif
    I highly doubt it would be a crime. The owner/agent would have had to word it pretty specifically. Just telling him we don't allow firearms or this is the last time you're allowed to carry is no different than a gunbuster sign at the door.

You're more than :welcome:. Although I don't OC that much right now, I don't have a decent retention holster for my EDC.

Oh and just for future reference, here is the thread for OC/CC debate. I'm pretty sure in the 200+ pages every argument that you can come up with has been brought up, and answered.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Seems like any time OC is brought up we have certain people drop in and voice their opinion. It wasn't asked for but they feel so strongly on the subject that they just can't help themselves.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dang you could take every cop you've ever seen gun? Dang
    That's just it. It takes no skill and very little strength. It only takes a little bit of forethought.

I'm not the guy who was whining about businesses telling me what I could or couldn't do following an incident with one of their other patrons, a predictable incident that was a direct result of my own choices.

Maybe my response should have just been - Well duh, what did you think was going to happen when you OC in a bar???

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This thread isn't about OC vs CC their are threads for that already.

This is about dumb kneejerk policies many places have instituted recently and my decision to continue doing business with them or not.

Also not sure how well that holster had any retention on it, can't tell in the low quality video. I guarantee you won't be able to do that with my holster. And I keep my eyes open for things like that - situational awareness. I don't take carrying lightly like that dude seems to be.

The thread is titled "what would you do" and not "what do you think of this bar's policy". Many answered the question with concealed carry so they wouldn't need to start a thread like this to begin with and gave other reasons as well.

And the OC crowd, including your post, continues the OC vs CC in the thread with justifications for why OC with the yabuts. The narrative arc is always: nobody gets targeted for their OC, then when that's proven to be false, yabut it wouldn't happen if X or yabut it wouldn't happen to me because I'm Y. My favorite is the "well the military and cops do it". Yes, most uniformed cops and military do because everyone knows they are armed anyway, plus if you can carry a SAW appendix I'd love to see it. The flip side is cops and military get ambushed because everyone knows they are armed AND cops and military have concealed carry programs for personnel and positions that aren't screaming they are armed to everyone. Almost like they get the advantage of being incognito when there are threats or potential threats.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That's just it. It takes no skill and very little strength. It only takes a little bit of forethought.
    I'll have to disagree.
    I'm not the guy who was whining about businesses telling me what I could or couldn't do following an incident with one of their other patrons, a predictable incident that was a direct result of my own choices.

Maybe my response should have just been - Well duh, what did you think was going to happen when you OC in a bar???
    I've OCed in a bar before, what happened was what I thought would happen. I ate, had a beer with my meal, paid my bill, tipped, and left. I've seen OC in bars as well, pretty much the same result.

ETA you weren't the one mentioned in the OP were you by any chance? Or perhaps involved in a similar incident?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom