• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Then 2 weeks ago, a league member on another team who was stinkin drunk harassed my captain and I for a couple hours screaming at us about "why do you need to carry a gun in a bar?" and "guns don't belong in bars", "I could snatch that gun from you and shoot you with it".
    I see you met my old friend Kevin.
    (Maybe purple, maybe not…)
    EDIT: The staff there knows us well and that we are trustworthy, responsible patron. None of us has ever caused any trouble either with firearms or alcohol. I consume 1 beer per hour, just enough to stay a little loose and calm while playing.
    I would see if it’s something that may blow over, sounds like you have a good relationship with the staff/owners. Talk to them, make your case. I think it’s the only way to win in the big picture.
    And carry concealed in the meantime.
    If you used to OC then not seeing that at all they might assume you’re not carrying at all, most people are not that observant.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Bar owner sounds like a p*ssy to me, I wouldn't give them any more of my business. They knew you guys, knew you carried and they were comfortable with you, but are overreacting due to an incident that didn't involve you. The no gun signs won't stop the same type of incident from happening again, so they're also stupid. I would do as you plan and finish out the season and tell the bar owner you're done until he comes to his senses. Yes it's the owner's right to not want guns but that doesn't mean you have to financially support him after such a decision. CC until the end of the season and see if you can find another bar to host the next season. Or find a new hobby where your fun doesn't depend upon the whims of others.

winchester4440

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2021
    Evansville, IN
    Respect the owner's policy; don't get yourself in more trouble than is needed, like getting trespassed.. Leave the gun at home, or in your car (better at home, as these sound like people who may decide to locate your gun in the car; who knows what they'd do).

Even if you CC, people WILL be watching you for printing. I wouldn't chance it.

If you feel unsafe in there without a gun, don't go there. Don't take yourself to the fight!

And I don't know why anyone would want to advertise by OC anyway.

JMO!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Respect the owner's policy; don't get yourself in more trouble than is needed, like getting trespassed.. Leave the gun at home, or in your car (better at home, as these sound like people who may decide to locate your gun in the car; who knows what they'd do).

Even if you CC, people WILL be watching you for printing. I wouldn't chance it.

If you feel unsafe in there without a gun, don't go there. Don't take yourself to the fight!

And I don't know why anyone would want to advertise by OC anyway.

JMO!
    I think the owner should respect freedom, we let them flip the script too much and we lose all the time.
    He won’t be in any trouble, if he leaves when asked, only in trouble if he refuses to stay.

What would the world be like if we always had to keep our guns hidden and secret? No freedom in that. It’d be like living in a state where cc is legal, but letting it show just a little accidentally is a crime. And that does exist.
    Get ‘em used to it.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The servers were a little shocked when they asked if I wanted my usual beer before match play and I said no thank you without any further explanation. They’re sharp gals though and they asked me if this policy had anything to do with it. I told him this wasn’t anything against them it’s just my principles and they understood that. I didn’t eat or drink anything but I tipped my server anyhow. After the match was over we were hanging out and talking and they mentioned how ridiculous it was, they knew all of us carriers and felt safe that there were so many of us like that around. The bartender bought me a drink and then told me her story about being robbed at knifepoint six years ago and how the bar staff all got behind her and gave her Pepper spray and other defensive items.

My captain and another team captain who’s a retired marine echoed what you guys have said about just CCing and that they’ll continue to do so.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Then 2 weeks ago, a league member on another team who was stinkin drunk harassed my captain and I for a couple hours screaming at us about "why do you need to carry a gun in a bar?" and "guns don't belong in bars", "I could snatch that gun from you and shoot you with it". Now, that bar has suddenly decided that guns are no longer allowed. The bar owner told us last week that would be the last night we would be allowed to carry there.
    I would have asked for the disruptive drunk to be removed, and calmly explain to the owner that YOU arent his problem. You're a regular that spends money and doesnt cause any trouble. (unlike that guy) You have demonstrated that you arent the problem, so why should you be penalized for somebody else's actions?

Another vote for concealing (even sloppy conceal) to minimize issues. But at this point, that ship has sailed. The owner already showed you what he thinks of you, so vote with your feet. I think your current plan is understandable and reasonable. Suffer through the rest of the commitment and then no more.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I would have asked for the disruptive drunk to be removed, and calmly explain to the owner that YOU arent his problem. You're a regular that spends money and doesnt cause any trouble. (unlike that guy) You have demonstrated that you arent the problem, so why should you be penalized for somebody else's actions?

Another vote for concealing (even sloppy conceal) to minimize issues. But at this point, that ship has sailed. The owner already showed you what he thinks of you, so vote with your feet. I think your current plan is understandable and reasonable. Suffer through the rest of the commitment and then no more.
    Nah. I think they’ll get the carry back.
    Just keep talking, keep being the good guys.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Do what I always do. Carry concealed and avoid unwarranted and unnecessary confrontations and conversations about my armed/not armed status. Full size concealed carry takes a little more work and/or better equipment but is easily doable. For pool playing, I'd strongly consider appendix carry.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have no problem spending my money and time at another place. You didn't create this problem. the bar owner did when he chose to make the policy. I would find another location, yes that means abandoning your friends in this situation. If they are friends they will understand your limits. I would also point out if you decide to go forth to let the owner know that he is now responsible for your protection while at his facility.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

If I were going to commit a crime, the presence of an armed individual who is exercising his open carry rights wouldn’t deter me in the least. I’d just take the open carrier out first

INGO will always say 'show me where it happened' and then when you do it's a yabut time. Yabut that was a cop. Yabut that was a security guard. Yabut that was a situational awareness fail and I'm a ninja who constantly knows everything going on around me even while concentrating on...maybe shooting pool. I've worked a number of cases of OC guys robbed *for* their gun. One of our murders this year was an OC-ing victim (and not a criminal on criminal shooting, legit good guy loss) It's on video, victim never had a chance to react, bad guy has his own gun up and ready before re-entering victim's sight and shoots him dead within seconds before the 2nd bad guy even clears the door to get his up. There's a lot of detail I can't divulge at this point, but they knew he was OC from earlier in the day and went back to rob him anyway.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    INGO will always say 'show me where it happened' and then when you do it's a yabut time. Yabut that was a cop. Yabut that was a security guard. Yabut that was a situational awareness fail and I'm a ninja who constantly knows everything going on around me even while concentrating on...maybe shooting pool. I've worked a number of cases of OC guys robbed *for* their gun. One of our murders this year was an OC-ing victim (and not a criminal on criminal shooting, legit good guy loss) It's on video, victim never had a chance to react, bad guy has his own gun up and ready before re-entering victim's sight and shoots him dead within seconds before the 2nd bad guy even clears the door to get his up. There's a lot of detail I can't divulge at this point, but they knew he was OC from earlier in the day and went back to rob him anyway.
    My riiiiieeeeeeets.

"I support the right, not the practice" - Spencer Keepers.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Do what I always do. Carry concealed and avoid unwarranted and unnecessary confrontations and conversations about my armed/not armed status. Full size concealed carry takes a little more work and/or better equipment but is easily doable. For pool playing, I'd strongly consider appendix carry.
    I’ll consider that but I’ll have to do some testing because many shots require leaning over the edge of the table and stretching for difficult shots. Not sure how a piece on my front side will be comfortable in that situation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Regardless of CC or leave in car, I'd pay closer attention to your vehicle, along with coming or going to it.

You have established a pattern, along with being forced to change it. Never know who might be stealthly observing this.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So, I've been OC'ing every day everywhere for the last couple years. I've not been hassled anywhere I've been (Kroger, Target, several northside bars, even my credit union, etc.)...... until recently.

Suddenly a month ago my local neighborhood bar decided they don't like it anymore and decided to change their policy and posted a View attachment 217087 on their doors.
    Last time I walked in I was asked to leave it in my car. I simply left and I haven't been back since.

I have been playing pool in the American Poolplayers Association for 7 years now, ever since my wife passed away (something to keep me busy and possibly meet someone new). My team captain (retired Army Ranger) and I, as well as several others in the league have been carrying at matches held at our "home" bar for years without incident. Weekly matches have us playing from 7pm to usually around midnight every Thursday.

Then 2 weeks ago, a league member on another team who was stinkin drunk harassed my captain and I for a couple hours screaming at us about "why do you need to carry a gun in a bar?" and "guns don't belong in bars", "I could snatch that gun from you and shoot you with it". Now, that bar has suddenly decided that guns are no longer allowed. The bar owner told us last week that would be the last night we would be allowed to carry there.

I enjoy playing and like the distraction and challenge playing pool brings me, but I don't feel I can compromise my principles; the right to defend myself and others around me should the need arise.
    There are 3 more matches left this season and I am considering sending my team the following note:

I don't plan on spending any more money there on supper and beer while there for the rest of the season.
    Is it worth it to give up a fun, relatively inexpensive hobby/activity for this or is this not the hill to "die" on?

EDIT: The staff there knows us well and that we are trustworthy, responsible patron. None of us has ever caused any trouble either with firearms or alcohol. I consume 1 beer per hour, just enough to stay a little loose and calm while playing.
    Good news! Just recently this brand new thing of concealed carry has been invented. It's this new idea of concealing ones weapon in a way so no one knows you have it. This way you still get to play and be armed and no one will know.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I’ll consider that but I’ll have to do some testing because many shots require leaning over the edge of the table and stretching for difficult shots. Not sure how a piece on my front side will be comfortable in that situation.

Appendix carry, holster makes a big difference. Much bigger than OWB carry or even strong side IWB carry. I'm sitting here with a G45 with optic, spare mag, badge, and TDI knife all forward of midline and can do anything without pinching/squeezing/hot spots.

Top Bottom