• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I got my dad the mushroom hunting edition (downswept blade and brush on one end) and he adores it. They are nice affordable users and don't get a second look when used in public, for those who care about that.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Nice! Well done by your son. I've had a carbon blade No. 8 in my pocket every day for about 9 years. Love the little bugger and it stays razor sharp with a few strokes on the honing steel from time to time. Harvested a pound or so of oyster shrooms with it last weekend on a trail walk with wife & daughter. You can't go wrong with Opinel.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Thanks all !!, He got me the No.6, haven't carried it much yet, still rotating different knives week to week...Carrying a Boker right now, next week could be a Bear and Sons G10 handle, and then who knows...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I got one for the first time couple weeks ago, #8 and got my son #10 for his birthday. My ancestors came from France where they are made since the 1800's. Very impressed for the price. I'm told they sell over 18 million a year! Posted mine on FB and people in France said your hard pressed to find someone on the farms of France without one. Its probably the sharpest new knife I have ever bought.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Thanks. I see them on Amazon too. What is the consenus on the Opinel stainless blades? Generally speaking I have been able to get a carbon blade sharper but do enjoy the low maintenance nature of stainless steel.

Thanks, Dinny

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I got one for the first time couple weeks ago, #8 and got my son #10 for his birthday. My ancestors came from France where they are made since the 1800's. Very impressed for the price. I'm told they sell over 18 million a year! Posted mine on FB and people in France said your hard pressed to find someone on the farms of France without one. Its probably the sharpest new knife I have ever bought.
    They are still popular in France as EDC knives.
    Not just for farmers.
    I see people who use them during their lunch breaks in urban areas, hikers, sailors etc.

The Scouts of France require an Opinel #8, not just any knife.

7010.jpg

opinel-scoutisme-francais-2019.jpg

A few years ago the French minister of the armies (head of the French DOD) visited military personnel for the New Years Eve.
    He gifted them all opinel knives.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Thanks. I see them on Amazon too. What is the consenus on the Opinel stainless blades? Generally speaking I have been able to get a carbon blade sharper but do enjoy the low maintenance nature of stainless steel.

Thanks, Dinny
    Carbon sharpens easier and stays sharper longer. Stainless last longer and better for food. Get mine on ebay.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Carbon sharpens easier and stays sharper longer. Stainless last longer and better for food. Get mine on ebay.
    Also obviously the inox model (or stainless) will offer better rust protection.

So if you're going to use it outdoor, for camping, fishing, boating etc ... stainless is your best option.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Thats an awesome gift. Ive always wanted to buy one, sand down the handle and try my hand at doing some wood burning and refinishing it. I just have zero idea what Id put on it because im not artistic.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Anyone tried the fillet knife version or used them on fish? I have been looking at getting a folding fillet knife for easier storage and carry for certain trips.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone tried the fillet knife version or used them on fish? I have been looking at getting a folding fillet knife for easier storage and carry for certain trips.

I tried it. I went back to the Rapala.

Recently broke my 4" Rapala, so I may have to reexamine?

The handle on the Rapala's seem much more impervious to water than the folding Opinel?

Top Bottom